How Do You Get Around Phuket Cheaply

harry8292

In my opinion, there is no way to get around Phuket cheaply. I visited there a few months ago, because I was looking for a place to spend a few weeks each year in Thailand. I quickly realized Phuket is not for me, primarily because of the difficulty in getting around. Everyone I talked to in Phuket said - you have to either get a car or a motorbike (which has its own problems). For me, walking long distances is out of the question because of the humidity. I stayed in Kata Beach, which is a nice beach, as long as you don't want to leave the area.

Supply and demand as I recall applies in a perfect market where knowledge is perfect (people know the value of things and are free to choose other suppliers). In an imperfect market (people/tourists do not know the value of 600baht or so and the suppliers act as a cartel) Supply and demand falls flat on its face. that's if I am remembering my economics correctly!

then why do taxis charge such a high rate if there is all these alternatives? it defeats the theory of supply and demand

I find using the local Tuk Tuk's is the cheapest and most convenient way for getting around Phuket.

The drivers are ever so knowledgable and friendly.

I agree. I've been using the same driver the last 7 years and he never fails to give me 100 Baht change out of the thousand....

Edit: Forgot to add...he's always smiling when he sees me...what a guy!

Rent a automatic schooter.Do not use those rip off tuk tuks..You can rent from as little as 3000 baht a month or 120 baht a day...

But make sure you have enough money to pay for 'repairs'/replace said bike, as they don't insure them.

You can take the songthaew. It's like a giant tuk tuk/bus that goes on fixed routes, and you can get on or off anywhere on the route. It's like 20 baht from Phuket Town to any of the beaches. They don't go directly from beach to beach though. If you want to go from Patong to Kata you go first on the songthaew to Phuket Town and then get on a new one to Kata. They don't run at night so after sundown you're stuck with tuk tuks. It's a very cheap way to get around during the day though

Edited by DP25

Everyone I talked to in Phuket said - you have to either get a car or a motorbike (which has its own problems).

What problems? Lot of mis-info on here.

Get yourself a bike. Many places will insure it at around another 50 baht a day. Said places will also fix it if it breaks down, though you get broken tyres fixed, naturally. A plastic pig can negotiate all hills on major routes in Phuket (and most minor ones), but avoid the Phuket Town-Patong run during rush hour.

As said, the big songthaews periodically go between town and beaches, but don't go between beaches and are few and far between and finish early. The grubby tuk-tuk mafia made it so. Circumvent this by never using those parasites. ;)

To those who think renting a motorbike for 150 baht a day is the way to go, consider this:

Phuket police can sniff out a tourist half a km away and will pull you over asking to see your driving licence, and if you get past that - he will ask to see your insurance certificate, and then your current tax disc and in extreme circumstances (and if he is having a really bad day) ask for the owners manual or accuse the number plate of being dirty and unreadable (yes it really happens).

Last week I spent over 30 minutes near the police post at Bangla Road in Patong watching the police pull motorbikes (only) over.

Without exception - every single one they pulled over was a foreigner despite Thais driving past without helmets on or 4 people on a bike.

Should you be fortunate not no get stopped and things are going great - I have heard people saying "I will be fine - I have been riding bikes for years"

Yes - you may have - but the other tens of thousands on the road riding a bike haven't.

The Thais have a unique driving style and is quite scary to the newcomer and if you do have a scrape - remember there is no insurance and as a foreigner/tourist involved in an accident - you already start with a disadvantage and will usually get the blame.

Summary: there is NO easy and cheap way to get around Phuket (without getting ripped off or putting your life on the line) - and life in Thailand is cheap.

To those who think renting a motorbike for 150 baht a day is the way to go, consider this:

Phuket police can sniff out a tourist half a km away and will pull you over asking to see your driving licence, and if you get past that - he will ask to see your insurance certificate, and then your current tax disc and in extreme circumstances (and if he is having a really bad day) ask for the owners manual or accuse the number plate of being dirty and unreadable (yes it really happens).

Last week I spent over 30 minutes near the police post at Bangla Road in Patong watching the police pull motorbikes (only) over.

Without exception - every single one they pulled over was a foreigner despite Thais driving past without helmets on or 4 people on a bike.

Should you be fortunate not no get stopped and things are going great - I have heard people saying "I will be fine - I have been riding bikes for years"

Yes - you may have - but the other tens of thousands on the road riding a bike haven't.

The Thais have a unique driving style and is quite scary to the newcomer and if you do have a scrape - remember there is no insurance and as a foreigner/tourist involved in an accident - you already start with a disadvantage and will usually get the blame.

Summary: there is NO easy and cheap way to get around Phuket (without getting ripped off or putting your life on the line) - and life in Thailand is cheap.

This is the price one has to pay , when visiting a tourist place like Phuket.

been riding bike every single day in Phuket for +8 years, thats approx 2800 days, and do not have your experience with the Police. Tax disc is of course visible on bike as law requires, plate is of course readable, and I do have valid drivers lisence for bike. However proof of Insurance is not required. Whenever I have been fined, it is due to riding without an helmet

Strange. In all thosenyears of me riding a bike here I have never seen this. People getting pulled over, yes, but only foreigners, no.

Agree with Stevenl -- never seen the police stop just the "farang" on motorocycles in Phuket.

When I do get stopped on my motorcycle at a check point, the instant they see my Thai driver's license, they wave me on, usually without even reading it.

Time and again. Place after place.

In my experience with the police here for 3 years, they have been professional and courteous.

Everyone I talked to in Phuket said - you have to either get a car or a motorbike (which has its own problems).

What problems? Lot of mis-info on here.

The problems being, that Phukets roads are full of Farang, who have no experience of riding bikes what so ever, which would make it extremely dangerous under normal road conditions, but when you throw in the Phuket way of driving, it makes it a leathal combination.

If you want to put your own life at risk then that's fine with me, but affecting other road users in the process is annoying and selfish.

I have always found it strange when people moan about the corruption and the police taking bribes etc etc, but then people think nothing of driving a vehicle illegally without the proper license. If you want to ride a bike in Phuket safely, without putting your life in danger and pissing off other road users, then get a bike license first. Even then, it's no guarantee that you won't be scraped of the tarmac at some stage.

Rent a automatic schooter.Do not use those rip off tuk tuks..You can rent from as little as 3000 baht a month or 120 baht a day...

But do be aware that any prang or theft you have (perceived or otherwise), you will be expected to pay for, or else. You being a 'non Thai' and all. They open up all these motorbike rental places, zillions of them, buy in a fistfull of Honda Clicks etc, and NEVER insure them. The.Farang.Must.Pay. Regardless of who is at fault.

Bus/cycle (if you're brave enough). Or, my personal favourite. WALK.

And there was me thinking that the vast majority of bad driving practices by both cars and motorbikes was committed by Thais.........am I wrong?

you r both right, but most Thais go with the flow, while pink farang are in the middle of the road struggeling to balance their rented Clicks

Riding a bike in Thailand

1. Get a Thai drivers lisence for bike

2. Get a proper 3rd part Insurance, compulsory covers nothing

3. Go with the flow, and make sure others understand where you want to go

4. Green light indicates you can check if its good to go

5. Stay in left lane or on shoulder

6. Check tyre inflation, and inflate according to load, 2 pink fat ones is overload for most scoots, inflate accordingly

7. helmet and even if its hot, consider to wear clothes/jeans to cover most of your body.

8. daytime high beam makes you more visible

9. Do not try a 4 lane u-turn, pull over on left shoulder and wait for 4 lanes to be clear

10. avoid right turns, especially on dual lane roads. To easy to be run over from behind while waiting

stay away from the rear brake until you really have practiced a lot how to balance it

Keep the rubber side down :)

Strange. In all thosenyears of me riding a bike here I have never seen this. People getting pulled over, yes, but only foreigners, no.

Agreed. If this is true how have I missed it all these years? More likely it's not true, or a gross exaggeration.