My Experience Buying/Shopping For A New Car

I thought i share my experience looking/shopping to buy a new car. Really unsure if it was just my experience or everyone gets the same treatment. So here it goes.

I decided to get a new car. I should say i live in Pattaya, so to avoid travels, decided to do my shopping in Pattaya dealers.

First stop Isuzu on the second road.

Asked for 4 door, automatic. Was given price list and rather less enthusiastic than i would of hoped they might be when someone comes to buy the car.

First question i asked if i could test drive it, answer was NO.

Could i see what the car looks like inside and out, answer was NO, but was pointed at one of the showroom cars and told it looks same same but different.

Ok, i could not get even to feel the car, so wanted to know fuel economy, again no answer was given.

However, one of the sales girls happily advised me that if i bought the car(mind you the one i was interested in was around 930 000 baht) she would go for dinner with me and possibly spend the night for extra 10K(The 10K may of been a joke, but she was pretty serious about me taking her out for dinner)

Second stop, Toyota.

Again given the price list by another even less enthusiastic sales girl, who did not even get off her fat ass to speak with me.

Again i could not test drive, i could not even see the car and they did not have any brochures.

I had to ask at least what was in the car. The only response i could get was that it came with wheels. I was pretty happy to hear car came with wheels. So no sale, off to Ford this time

Ford, same story, can not test drive, sales girl did not know anything at all and kept running over to someone else to ask. Apparently Ford did not sell the model they advertise (Ford Ranger) and only sold 1 car which was Wildtrack.

After showing them their own website on my iPhone, they then claimed Ranger is the same as Wildtrack.

So i had to ask why the prices were different and what was different.

Answer was not different, same same. Nothing in regards to price.

By that time i was getting pretty frustrated, but let me first say that Ford showroom was totally empty i was the only customer. I also brought with me my Manager(ie man who works for me) both were wearing uniform. Manager informed the lady that i was actually a hotel owner and was looking to buy a few cars for the chain, so perhaps it was wise to call the manager and have a more professional discussion in the office.

Girl advised my manager that they were too busy for that.

Ok, off we went, next stop Mitsubishi.

I was looking at Mitsubishi Pajero which had test drive written on it. I likes the look of the car and price seemed ok. So i asked to test drive, and again was told NO, But i could buy the showcar(the one which has test drive written on it) and could take it home same day.

I was not going to lay out 1.2 million baht without driving the car,so insisted that i like to test drive before i buy, but again was refused.

Bu that time i already had enough, so went back to hotel.

I could not believe my experience, and decided to contact Mitsubishi BKK head office and complain.

To my surprise, Marketing Director took my call and could not stop apologizing. He called me back in less than 5 mins to advise me to go back to dealer and they WILL let me test drive the car. Also gave me the name of the sales manager and his number.

So off i went back for a test drive, when i got there i asked for the sales manager who refused to come out, but send someone else out to serve me.

I took the car for a test drive and decided i was going to buy that.

To my total shock, i am told that i can not buy this car, because its a test drive car and i would need to wait for 2 weeks. DO keep in mind that less than 24 hours ago i was told i could buy that very same car, but could not test drive it.

Again back to the office and on the phone to Marketing Manager.

He confirmed that i could not buy test drive car and had to wait, but could not provide any even reasonable explanation to why i was able to buy that car the day before but could not test drive it.

So as you would imagine i did have enough of "stupidity" so i left the shopping for a few days.

After recharging my battery's i decided to try another Isuzu dealer.

Will just say it was not a success either. Even though i "almost" booked 2 top of the range models-yes 2 cars, sales girl refused to wave the plate price of 8800 baht. No i did not get any discounts or anything extra, just the usual same promo's but she did give FREE number plate cover(worth about 100baht)

So she lost 1.9 million baht to save 16000 baht.

Bottom line, still car less :)

I should also say, in all the dealers i visited service was very bad, they were rather rude, totally ignorant about the cars they were selling and on top spoke very badly. One of the funniest parts of the experience was in Isuzu where all staff park their cars in the front of the showroom and all staff cars are Toyota or Honda. Not even 1 staff drove an Isuzu :cheesy:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did well,on Friday there's only the Cleaner normally..I noticed Isuzu staff have other makes, only Honda Staff appear to drive their own product.Speaks Volumes doesn't it. When my Daughter went to Toyota they told her there was one ROUND the BACK,it would still be there if i had gone.Shes 45, not a Kid. You find this out too late.:realangry:

One thing i can tell you is the isuzu service on sukumvit (north pattaya) is very good in my experience. Also if you plan on traveling out of the city stick with toyota or isuzu as the other dealers seem to be far and few between.......it mights be worth a trip to bkk to go shopping. My guess is pattaya has a ridiculous number if tire kickers........

A Yamaha dealer in Pattaya was not better, went to ask how much was the big scooter in their show room, but they had no idea, no brochures, in fact no informations of any kind was available, i later discovered that the price was around half million for it, but how do they expect to make a sale with such a disorganised way to make business? what they actually do there? Their jobs seems to be just a cover up for something intrinsically mysterious...:lol:

Had a somewhat similar experience trying to buy a new motorbike out in the country. Here they were perfectly friendly, but had absolutely no interest in selling anything. My Thai wife was with me, so they weren't avoiding us because of the language-barrier, they just didn't seem interested in anybody. At 3 different dealers, the staff just kind of stood around a smiled at browsing customers, while giving us either no answer, or an "I don't know" answer. Maybe they just don't want to bargain, so they wait until you have to beg them to buy something. It was a bit creepy, we still have our old motorbike.

One thing i can tell you is the isuzu service on sukumvit (north pattaya) is very good in my experience. Also if you plan on traveling out of the city stick with toyota or isuzu as the other dealers seem to be far and few between.......it mights be worth a trip to bkk to go shopping. My guess is pattaya has a ridiculous number if tire kickers........

Yes I do agree, service was better. Girl actually spoke nice and offered to sit down. However even after being there for almost 4 hours I was not even offered some water.

Also after I advised her that unless she waives the plate fees I will be walking- the attitude of niceness changed.

Instead of trying to negotiate or try to offer something she got angry and unpleasant , but do keep in mind I was ordering 2 cars, their top model. The only discount I was insisting on was the plates which is less than 1% off the total price.

In some weird kind of way I am pleased to hear that it's not only me and others had the same treatment :)

Don't know about at the dealers, but I find the salespeople working the auto shows/sales campaigns you often find at the local malls are usually very eager to assist (and often actually know something about the cars they are selling). Maybe during these shows there is some internal sales campaign going on so they are incentivised to actually assist customers.

In any case, the auto market being what it is in Thailand, i.e., sellers market, with months long waits for popular models, as there is no need to actually "sell" cars as buyers come cash in hand to buy whatever is available, you get dealers who basically just become order takers and not "dealers."

Don't know about at the dealers, but I find the salespeople working the auto shows/sales campaigns you often find at the local malls are usually very eager to assist (and often actually know something about the cars they are selling). Maybe during these shows there is some internal sales campaign going on so they are incentivised to actually assist customers.

In any case, the auto market being what it is in Thailand, i.e., sellers market, with months long waits for popular models, as there is no need to actually "sell" cars as buyers come cash in hand to buy whatever is available, you get dealers who basically just become order takers and not "dealers."

You are spot on.

In my opinion, they have created this artificial "wait" so people do not ask for discounts and do not try choosing.

Toyota and Isuzu i can understand being in demand, but whats Mitsu and Ford excuse? both are in 4-5 place.

Funny enough Isuzu sales girl told me they sell only 5 cars per month, so you would hardly call it "huge" demand and i am sure she lied there a little.

All the times i visited showrooms, i did not see anyone making a purchase.

Take a drive to phuket.. cars are a little bit more expensive but every single dealer is quite nice. There is no competition.. if there is multiple dealers, they are owned by the same guy.

I did 2 honda showrooms/ford/chevy/proton and mitsu. Water, snacks, good service, answered phone calls and good deals. Test drove a few cars at each place. When they couldn't they made sure to book me the next day for a test drive.

Take a drive to phuket.. cars are a little bit more expensive but every single dealer is quite nice. There is no competition.. if there is multiple dealers, they are owned by the same guy.

I did 2 honda showrooms/ford/chevy/proton and mitsu. Water, snacks, good service, answered phone calls and good deals. Test drove a few cars at each place. When they couldn't they made sure to book me the next day for a test drive.

agreed

only asked for test drive twice, as I usually know what I want when I enter dealer showroom.

once was late 2006 when 2007 Camry was out, testdrove up to the airport to get it up to 180kmh, back to showroom and made booking

second early 2008, Honda accord 2,4, as power was more than Camry, only needed a few twisties before ordering.

Supply was difficult both times, or actually has been difficult on all 11 new car purchases, Accord we insisted on showroomcar one day old, and drove out next day

BTW supply in TH is diificult because factories are running full output, presently reduced by lack of parts from Japan but usually limited to their output capacity. So saying it is created just indicates a lack of knowledge of TH automakers

assume both Pattaya and Phuket dealers are bored of tire kickers wanting to test drive, but if you arrive by car sales first question is if its your car, and then dealing for a new one goes smoothly. It also helps to try to spot the sales head ponchos, not the newbies approaching you just inside the entrance. I never leave name and number with a newbie, as they are unable to source what I need by que jumping

Yes I do agree, service was better. Girl actually spoke nice and offered to sit down. However even after being there for almost 4 hours I was not even offered some water.

Also after I advised her that unless she waives the plate fees I will be walking- the attitude of niceness changed.

Instead of trying to negotiate or try to offer something she got angry and unpleasant , but do keep in mind I was ordering 2 cars, their top model. The only discount I was insisting on was the plates which is less than 1% off the total price.

In some weird kind of way I am pleased to hear that it's not only me and others had the same treatment :)

Yes, it is a therapeutic catharsis of some level to know you're not the only one living in an alternate dimension :D .. I've said this and experienced this about almost EVERY business here be it farang or Thai owned in most cases. It seems to be contagious like the plague and explains a lot about where the Thai's are in the world economic scheme of things in comparison to successful first world economies..

Won't give an inch for something meaningless to lose a potential long term customer and gain a poor reputation instead,.

Something similar happened to me with a local karting track for which I bought some tickets online and afterwards when I tried to redeem them I got attitude & crap service and was told that the tickets were for the kiddie karts though the amount for the kiddie karts was less then I paid for the supposedly discount tickets for the same number of rides at regular price and not only was that NOT specified in fact the opposite was true, the faster karts were supposed to be the featured karts. It's all a scam, the kart track is well known and foreign owned and have now not only lost my business but anyone who asks me about them and so has the internet discount ticket supplier who is duly trying to build their market through forum advertising for example.. We're surrounded, take it or leave it and that's why I'll be leaving it..

Edited by katabeachbum

You are spot on.

In my opinion, they have created this artificial "wait" so people do not ask for discounts and do not try choosing.

Toyota and Isuzu i can understand being in demand, but whats Mitsu and Ford excuse? both are in 4-5 place.

Funny enough Isuzu sales girl told me they sell only 5 cars per month, so you would hardly call it "huge" demand and i am sure she lied there a little.

All the times i visited showrooms, i did not see anyone making a purchase.

Clearly their attitude towards customers who are genuine doesn't help their monthly sales numbers either.. Self propagating prophecy..

While Pattaya is normally not at all representative of anything Thai, this lack of customer service and product knowledge is sadly just par for course in Pattaya and Thailand.

I can almost guarantee you will have better experiences in BKK and other major centers though.

Also, asking Thai's questions about things they don't know or understand (e.g. in this context, unreleased future models), usually results in a lie rather than an admission they don't know the answer - that's just something you have to get used to I'm afraid.

Like today at the bank.. cash an oversee check.. give me the wrong exchange rate.. i tell them.. they say its a traveler's check(which i deny) but the TC has a higher exchange rate than what i was given..

They spent about 10mins telling me im wrong and then they made up a fake entry in a program with the foreign check currency being wrong so that i would not get my real FX. At least they admitted to themselves in thai that it wasn't a TC after a while, they kind of had no choice since on the bank's paper it clearly said foreign currency check.

It's a very sorry tale, kuffti and I sympathise with you very much. Although I haven't bought a car from a dealer in the normal way, I've been on the receiving-end of this lethargic sales attitude before and I quickly learned to turn around and walk off, even going without myself, if I didn't feel I was being treated with courtesy.

By contrast, I met a Thai friend-of-a-friend a year or so ago who was interested in ordering a Camry. The dealers had lent him a hybrid demonstrator car for a week with no obligation. Notably his mother is "important" - that's how it often is here - family connections sometimes mean more than common courtesy.

I personally bought a new Toyota through Expat Motors, now called Siam Motor World and the car was waiting for me on my arrival when I moved here. It was a very painless process, although I didn't test drive the car beforehand. I would do that again because frankly I can't stand the thought of going to a dealer, unless it was a Benz or Jaguar dealer, perhaps :-)

Best of luck.

When I bought my Vigo in CM I had the opposite experience. Friendly service...all normal discounts given and the young lady who sold it to me drove me to the bank to get the cheque and took me with her girlfriend for a nice meal which she paid for.

Kufki - I had a not disimilar experience two weeks ago with presumably some of the same dealers.

I would mention that there are 2 Toyota and Mitsu dealers on Sukhumvit (between Nua and Naklua end) and the ones on the north side were streets ahead of the ones on the south - and in both cases the sales people were male with the Toyoata guy in particular having good english and being much more generally knowledgable then his female counterpart from the other dealer - who actually gave me wrong info.

As kata says it does unfortunately seem to be a case of making sure you get a more senior sales person - unless the dinner really appeals....:)

Some years ago when i was looking for a car i went into a small 2nd hand car dealer, looked over the car the guy was ok answered a few questions (girlfriend translating) so then i asked for a test drive to be told NO. I asked the girlfriend to explain i would not buy any car without a test drive.. told no again. so i got annoyed and stormed off. So we were back on the bike and i asked the gf why no test drive i only wanted to take it up the road and back....Oh she said test drive in Thailand usually 3-4 hour or overnight... So i said really!!!!!. She suggested we go back and she ask if i can take it up the road. i agreed and 10 minutes later i was testing the car.... Didn't buy it though as it was a piece of crap :D:lol:

I dunno if she is correct about test drives here in Thailand but it could explain the attitude.

" By contrast, I met a Thai friend-of-a-friend a year or so ago who was interested in ordering a Camry. The dealers had lent him a hybrid demonstrator car for a week with no obligation. Notably his mother is "important" - that's how it often is here - family connections sometimes mean more than common courtesy."

So the my Gf might be correct.

Edited by thaicbr

Some years ago when i was looking for a car i went into a small 2nd hand car dealer, looked over the car the guy was ok answered a few questions (girlfriend translating) so then i asked for a test drive to be told NO. I asked the girlfriend to explain i would not buy any car without a test drive.. told no again. so i got annoyed and stormed off. So we were back on the bike and i asked the gf why no test drive i only wanted to take it up the road and back....Oh she said test drive in Thailand usually 3-4 hour or overnight... So i said really!!!!!. She suggested we go back and she ask if i can take it up the road. i agreed and 10 minutes later i was testing the car.... Didn't buy it though as it was a piece of crap :D:lol:

I dunno if she is correct about test drives here in Thailand but it could explain the attitude.

" By contrast, I met a Thai friend-of-a-friend a year or so ago who was interested in ordering a Camry. The dealers had lent him a hybrid demonstrator car for a week with no obligation. Notably his mother is "important" - that's how it often is here - family connections sometimes mean more than common courtesy."

So the my Gf might be correct.

i do not know, because when i called Mitso head office and complained, car was available for a test drive immediately.

Toyota did not even have a car to show, Ford was the same, Isuzu had the cheapest model on show available for a test drive(i was after auto 4 door 3ltr) they had 2 door manual 2.5ltr, so really no point to test drive that.

I do believe the wait period is artificial because factory's being at full output is not an excuse NOT to have cars in stock.

I really doubt, Thai demand is just overwhelming, and if it was the case, smart decision would be to increase the output.

In Oz, when going to buy a new car it is available to drive away immediately in your choice of color in all the makes and models, if some color is sold out, they will source it out and have it delivered in 3-7 days.

All dealers have all models available for test drive in all size engines. All demo's are available for sale also if the customer insists.

Now keep in mind Oz does not have a factory 40 kms around the corner from the dealer.

Also with tire kickers, while it does apply to some more expansive makes like Ferrari or Porche, i really do not see the mentality when it comes to $20000-$30000 car.

Of course if sales assumes for whatever reason(mind you people are there to buy a car which cost 10 to 15 times more than his/her salary per year) then any potential buyer turns into just that a tire kicker.

Golden rule for car salesman is to put potential customer behind the wheel to get him.her to have a feel of the car, and even if that person was indeed a time waster, they may actually fall in love with a car and turn into a buyer. It is not like they

are busy with a queue of customers, not to mention there are more sales staff in the showroom than the actual cars and in most cases where i have been, sales staff was either playing computer games, chatting to a darling or sleeping.

Just need to ask 1 question, how is it that the entire world car manufactures went through a crisis and a number of them almost were out of business, while in Thailand customers need to wait for a month or two just to get the car.

How does Ford or Mitsu planning to increase its market share when they do not allow test drives or even have all the models in stock, so how would potential buyer even consider (example) changing from an old Vigo or Isuzu to a Ford or Mitsu?!

I too experienced the same trying to buy a new motorbike for cash. After I had tried many dealers , it seemed to me that they are only interested in finance sales, so they can make more out of the deal

because in thailand, people who cant afford a car just buy it and leave it in front of their house.. that makes a lot of sales. In most countries people buy a car they can afford to run, so they'll buy used cars. Here they'll buy a brand new one, drive 10kph untill the free gas tank is empty, then its a showpiece. Why do you think there's so many used car tents all over the country? People keep buying cars they dont use.. on 12car you can find thousands of cars with less than 500km.

because in thailand, people who cant afford a car just buy it and leave it in front of their house.. that makes a lot of sales. In most countries people buy a car they can afford to run, so they'll buy used cars. Here they'll buy a brand new one, drive 10kph untill the free gas tank is empty, then its a showpiece. Why do you think there's so many used car tents all over the country? People keep buying cars they dont use.. on 12car you can find thousands of cars with less than 500km.

LOL

All the used cars i have seen had like 150 000kms on a 1-2 year old car.

6 year old cars had 250 000 kms, while the engine oil hardly had any pressure which means the meter has been rewinded by a few hundred kms.biggrin.gif

Where can find used cars with 500kms?

PS. Not trying to be funny, but genuinely interested, at least i can see the actual car, sit in it and possibly test drive it and best part of it all i can actually drive away in it without having to wait for a few months

really............................. thousands !!!!!!

I call bullshit on that one.

really............................. thousands !!!!!!

I call bullshit on that one.

No, tend to agree, many buy for the status, my neighbours for one. :)

sigh, brains are low in here tonight. I clearly gave the website.

It's all status cars that were shipped off to tent dealers RIGHT after they emptied the free gas tank.. Sometimes they've got a couple hundred baht left by eating mama's for a few weeks and they get to 1.5k km

remember a bunch of funny status stories from a while ago on this forum.. one member had a cheap car, neighbor got a manual fortuner and parked it in the street proudly and it ended by the thai moving his unused status manual fortuner inside his parking and putting a drape over it in shame when the thaivisa member bought a sportivo and used it daily.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

as one poster indicates ( talking about car dealers in OZ) I really miss dealing with a true car salesman...you know descend upon you and hang on like a pit bull..

I have been to several dealerships here in the South and I have just given up..even the web sites are unresponsive and apart from Ford ...of lousy design..in the showroom pretty "no nothing" girls and apathetic management everyplace.they have computers for FB or something but cannot call up or have any knowledge of their own bloody website...so bloody frustrating...it's just not fun!.... used car dealers on the other hand seem to be a bit more on the ball.

I think if these pseudo sales people were given a a bit of sales/basic tech training and Aus/US style "ra ra" they could well "kick arse"...can't believe that major corporations don't know what is going on ....or maybe they have given up too??

oh well TIT... nice sunny week this week and the beer is cold...now charging the battery ( brand new!!)in my old truck since the wifey left the bloody ignition on all night when she went to close the windows..... :cheesy: :cheesy:

I think the Sales-force glean Product Knowledge, Specs and Prices from Thai Newspaper Adds.Whilst waiting at the Car Wash, i read the Mitsu Car Advert. All i really learned from the Add was you got a Tin in the Trunk for Gas included in a Price they didn't State anywheres.So they gave you the Interest Rate on an unpriced product,and a nice picture of the Car, just in case you hadn't spotted one in in the last 15 Years.

sigh, brains are low in here tonight. I clearly gave the website.

It's all status cars that were shipped off to tent dealers RIGHT after they emptied the free gas tank.. Sometimes they've got a couple hundred baht left by eating mama's for a few weeks and they get to 1.5k km

remember a bunch of funny status stories from a while ago on this forum.. one member had a cheap car, neighbor got a manual fortuner and parked it in the street proudly and it ended by the thai moving his unused status manual fortuner inside his parking and putting a drape over it in shame when the thaivisa member bought a sportivo and used it daily.

what website? in what post?

I would mention that there are 2 Toyota and Mitsu dealers on Sukhumvit (between Nua and Naklua end) and the ones on the north side were streets ahead of the ones on the south -

Doesn't Sukhumvit basically run north to south...so how can anything be on the "north" or "south" side of it (at least until it gets up towards the top of the Gulf and vears to the left)? Maybe you could clarify by stating the good ones are on the side of Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital or the opposite side or in the alternative are on the side of one driving north or driving south :)

Edited by FarangBuddha