My Experience Buying/Shopping For A New Car

5 years now on a BMW ? well there catching up slowly... Hyundai is 7 years...

Curious where you are getting this information from?

If you check the Hyundai website it clearly says 3 years or 100,000 km whatever comes first you can see that plainly here

http://www.hyundai-m...ervice.php?id=9

Basic Warranty: The basic warranty covers everything except items that are subject to wear and tear or replacement in the ordinary course of vehicle ownership, such as oil and air filters, wiper blades and brake pads. Tires and batteries are excluded.

OTOH BMW is now offering 5 years or 100,000 bumper to bumper excluding ONLY Tires and Batteries. They do in fact cover oil changes all parts and labor and anything subject to wear and tear.

So not trying to nit pick with you but I am curious where you saw Hyundai in Thailand offering that 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Is anyone mug enough to give 7 years warranty. :huh:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Hyundai is a good zippy car, i use to own one. I definitely think its value for money. Not sure of the status now, but 10 years ago in Oz it was best selling car.

One problem though(but again this was 15 years ago) the metal simply crumple on impact.

I was hit from the back by a truck, truck was doing about 40, car crumpled all the way from the back to the driver seat. I was squashed and "kissing" the windscreen.Reliability though was fine, 4 years and never a problem.

Hope they improved on safety since.

why don't you read the warranty it says unlimited km and 5 years for the sonata also 24 hour emergency service for 3 years 24hours a day. I would say that's better than any of the run of the mill brands.

As stated I can not find that information... this link http://www.hyundai-motor.co.th/dealer_service_service.php?id=9 which is the Thailand Hyundai website clearly says 3 years/100,000 km if you can show me where in Thailand this is being offered I would be interested to see as I have always thought the Sonata was a great little city runabout.

As to your comment about 'run of the mill" brands, the person that brought up their 7 year warranty claim (I note you have only claimed 5 years) was comparing it to BMW not sure they count as a run of the mill brand... but I digress.

IMO Hyundai is a good zippy car, i use to own one. I definitely think its value for money. Not sure of the status now, but 10 years ago in Oz it was best selling car.

One problem though(but again this was 15 years ago) the metal simply crumple on impact.

I was hit from the back by a truck, truck was doing about 40, car crumpled all the way from the back to the driver seat. I was squashed and "kissing" the windscreen.Reliability though was fine, 4 years and never a problem.

Hope they improved on safety since.

Perhaps cos it crumpled that you are still with us eh. :)

The Hyundai logo may look like the first letter of our name, but it also symbolizes two people—the company and customer—shaking hands. Nowadays, with the value of a handshake declining, our promise to customers remains intact, in the form of a 10-year/100,000-mile warranty on each and every car.

10-YEAR/100,000-MILE POWERTRAIN PROTECTION

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (e.g. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

Australia: Hyundai goes to 5 year/Unlimited warranty on all model passenger vehicles...... All new Hyundai commercial vehicles are supported with Australia’s first Five-Year, 160,000km Warranty.

UK/Europe: Hyundai – 7 Year Warranty

Hyundai, known for its seven-year warranty on new cars, might be helping drivers to preserve their cars and engines in order to minimise returns.

Thailand: (Bangkok, Thailand) -- Hyundai Motor (Thailand) Co. Ltd. has set an unprecedented standard in the Thai automobile industry by becoming the first automobile company here to offer a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty for the Sonata sedan, in an effort to confirm the excellent quality of its products, which is second to none in the market, along with launching the "Red Carpet Strategy" to win the hearts of customers.

Mr. Yoshizumi Kurata, president of Hyundai Motor (Thailand) Co. Ltd., said: "Thailand one of the most important automobile centers in this region and the launching of the new Sonata here today is proof of the determination and our will to seriously market out products here. Becoming the first and only company to offer a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty is proof of the high quality of the Sonata. Moreover, the Sonata also comes with high safety standards thanks to a total of six safety airbags (dual front, side and curtain airbags) which adds a high level of confidence for our customers."

The Hyundai Sonata mid-sized family sedan has been highly accepted in the global market and in 2007 has earned five-star frontal and side crash test ratings from the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) of the United States government. The NHTSA has one of the strictest testing standards in the world. http://www.hyundai-motor.co.th/oldsite/en/CompanyProfileNewsAndEventDetail.asp?Id=15

My mistake that Thailand was different, friend in UK has bought a i30 with 7 years warranty, friends in the USA own one from 2008 was also 7 years, now as 1st info Hyundai offers 10 years.

YellowFeverCAD Hyundai clearly states on there Thai web site on English Hyundai Motor (Thailand) Co. Ltd. has set an unprecedented standard in the Thai automobile industry by becoming the first automobile company here to offer a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty for the Sonata

Warranty period of 5 years with unlimited distance.

As a developer and manufacturer of automobiles for today and for the future. Hyundai Motor Thailand, we are willing to deliver a package that will build trust and confidence. Thai consumers for products that are recognized internationally for us to have been regarded as one of the ten auto makers and influential. The most powerful in the world. We are the first in the country who are willing to offer a warranty package. Unlimited distances, to build trust. And to guarantee its people. That our vehicle will cause satisfaction to you. Just as we offer our Hyundai customers worldwide. Thai customers who bought the Hyundai Sonata, today you will receive.

An unlimited distance warranty is 5 years old and

Emergency service 24 hours a day, regardless of the number of times for 3 years.

Emergency on the road. Whether you live in anywhere in the country Hyundai, customers are assured that all of you. Not be neglected. We provide emergency assistance services. On the road 24 hours a day on the Hyundai Sonata a problem

with productivity and quality improvements to the automotive world today. And tomorrow. Our customers will be driving more enjoyable and comfortable in every way. Throughout the Kingdom. With confidence and trust that we will be ready to help at any time whether you will be. Is of any note : a 5-year unlimited distance warranty above does not include the Hyundai Sonata is used for commerce. Such as the use of a limousine hire car hire out to others for commercial. And the Police. The information is correct and complete, please ensure that we can get. Provided to you. Or you can contact a customer service representative at telephone 02 305 8494.

Edited by ignis

YellowFeverCAD Hyundai clearly states on there Thai web site on English Hyundai Motor (Thailand) Co. Ltd. has set an unprecedented standard in the Thai automobile industry by becoming the first automobile company here to offer a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty for the Sonata

Could you show me a link?

When I go to the website I see only 3 years 100,000 when I look at the downloadable PDF specs on the Sonata it clearly again states 3 years 100,000 km and when my wife phoned a dealer here in BKK today to ask they confirmed for her on the phone that the bumper to bumper portion of the warranty is ONLY 3 years or 100,000 km so clearly somebody is not updating the troops on the ground as to what is being offered..

Which really is moot to the original point of you (or someone) claiming it was a bumper to bumper 7 years warranty and it was nice to see BMW catching up... even if your "new" info about 5 years is correct that would make the warranties the same... save the fact that according to Hyundai they do not cover wear and tear items but BMW does...

So if you can show me that link I would love to pass it on to the Hyundai dealer here so they can see what they should be telling people..

Thanks,

Could you show me a link?

When I go to the website I see only 3 years 100,000 when I look at the downloadable PDF specs on the Sonata it clearly again states 3 years 100,000 km and when my wife phoned a dealer here in BKK today to ask they confirmed for her on the phone that the bumper to bumper portion of the warranty is ONLY 3 years or 100,000 km so clearly somebody is not updating the troops on the ground as to what is being offered..

Which really is moot to the original point of you (or someone) claiming it was a bumper to bumper 7 years warranty and it was nice to see BMW catching up... even if your "new" info about 5 years is correct that would make the warranties the same... save the fact that according to Hyundai they do not cover wear and tear items but BMW does...

So if you can show me that link I would love to pass it on to the Hyundai dealer here so they can see what they should be telling people..

Thanks,

as far as I know bmw does NOT come with 5 year warranty, its 2 years

they can come with 5 years BIS, which is service and some scheduled repairs in one package price included when purchasing from authorisd dealers, except fleet sales which is usually one year BIS

when you open the web site you provided it shows 3 years but look at the box on the far left click on warranty and condition it will show 5 years.

So the main site says 3 years, but if you click further through somewhere you are saying you can find 5 years (I can't see the box you are referring to) but as I said in my last post it's moot at this point. Hyundai DOES NOT have a 7 year bumper to bumper which is what the poster I responded to claimed in his snippy sort of way making the comment about BMW catching up... so we know that 7 is NOT true and the actual warranty is 3 or 5 years depending on what you read and who you talk to. So mystery solved... thanks for the follow up.

they can come with 5 years BIS, which is service and some scheduled repairs in one package price included when purchasing from authorisd dealers, except fleet sales which is usually one year BIS

Currently ALL BMW cars sold at dealers come with a 5 year 100,000 km warranty including EVERYTHING on the car bumper to bumper excluding Tires and Battery. It is included in the purchase price.

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/general/services/bmw_serviceinclusive.html

This program is included with all purchases of new BMW models* at no additional cost.

With BSI (BMW Service Inclusive) – the innovative service package program for all new BMW cars – you can concentrate on pure driving pleasure. Following the principle "You drive – we do the rest," BSI covers the costs of all major services, maintenance and wear-and-tear repairs for the first 5 years or 100,000 km**, including all Genuine BMW Parts required.

What's more, if you are a current BMW owner with BSI coverage, you are now able to extend your service package for an additional 1 year or 20,000 km with the BSI Extension Program** – giving your BMW the quality of care it deserves for a total of 6 years or 120,000 km.

We've got you covered.

All-inclusive for perfect peace of mind are:

• - Change of engine oil (not including top-ups)
  • - Service or replacement of air filters, micro-filters, spark plugs, brake fluid
  • - Front and rear brake discs and brake pads
  • - Windscreen wiper blades as part of routine maintenance
  • - Vehicle check and standard services as set out in the BMW service booklet in the owner's documentation
  • - Extends legal entitlement to the remedy of defects

All BSI packages are tied to the vehicle, so the subsequent owner can enjoy all its benefits for the remaining duration of the contract. If you sell your BMW within the term of validity of BSI, you have a powerful sales argument on your side.

If you want to enjoy sheer driving pleasure that includes premium service from the very start or if you would like to extend your current BSI coverage, please contact your local BMW Authorized Dealer.

Edited by YellowFeverCAD

Currently ALL BMW cars sold at dealers come with a 5 year 100,000 km warranty including EVERYTHING on the car bumper to bumper excluding Tires and Battery. It is included in the purchase price.

http://www.bmw.co.th...einclusive.html

This program is included with all purchases of new BMW models* at no additional cost.

With BSI (BMW Service Inclusive) – the innovative service package program for all new BMW cars – you can concentrate on pure driving pleasure. Following the principle "You drive – we do the rest," BSI covers the costs of all major services, maintenance and wear-and-tear repairs for the first 5 years or 100,000 km**, including all Genuine BMW Parts required.

What's more, if you are a current BMW owner with BSI coverage, you are now able to extend your service package for an additional 1 year or 20,000 km with the BSI Extension Program** – giving your BMW the quality of care it deserves for a total of 6 years or 120,000 km.

We've got you covered.

All-inclusive for perfect peace of mind are:

• - Change of engine oil (not including top-ups)
  • - Service or replacement of air filters, micro-filters, spark plugs, brake fluid
  • - Front and rear brake discs and brake pads
  • - Windscreen wiper blades as part of routine maintenance
  • - Vehicle check and standard services as set out in the BMW service booklet in the owner's documentation
  • - Extends legal entitlement to the remedy of defects

All BSI packages are tied to the vehicle, so the subsequent owner can enjoy all its benefits for the remaining duration of the contract. If you sell your BMW within the term of validity of BSI, you have a powerful sales argument on your side.

If you want to enjoy sheer driving pleasure that includes premium service from the very start or if you would like to extend your current BSI coverage, please contact your local BMW Authorized Dealer.

read again

wear and tear parts like brake discs and pads. Does not cover auto, engine, electronics, AC, in reality most of the car is NOT covered

it is a service package, not a warranty

read again

wear and tear parts like brake discs and pads. Does not cover auto, engine, electronics, AC, in reality most of the car is NOT covered

it is a service package, not a warranty

Clearly we are caught up on language. Yes BMW offers a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the items you referenced above in Thailand in Canada the warranty is 4 years / 80,000 km. The BSI is only offered in Thailand and not Canada. As the original person that started this subject matter referenced Hyundai having 7 years and BMW having 5 years I assumed (clearly my bad) we were talking about the service packages due to the fact THEY referenced the 5 years that BMW offered. I should have clarified we were talking about service package coverage and by using the terminology "warranty" it was also confusing the issue.

We could also get into the details about Hyundai offering what we are told now is a 5 year/Unlimited warranty (even though I still can't find it) but ONLY 3 years roadside assistance.. where BMW has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty and a 5 year roadside assistance program in Thailand. I would also be willing to bet that the original 2 year warranty can be extended...

As I've said three times now, the original point is now moot as Hyundai does NOT have a 7 year warranty in Thailand. That is what I responded to.

So are we all in agreement now?

The worst treatment ever was not in Thailand but Lidcombe in Sydney Australia.

I was a young lad, about 18, I saved a bit of money and wanted this Toyota Celica, I needed to get a loan and put a $1000 deposit for the car. The dealer took me to the finance company a few days later and was told I needed a guarentor. Once I told them nah I cant get one they got pissed and drove me back to the shop, I said sorry but can I get my deposit back. The owner called in one of his boys from the back who was HUGE and threaten to beat the sheet out of me if I don't piss off in 2 minutes lol

Ofcourse I did and ofcourse I took them to court and won :)

Just adding what came to me today in email, feel free to email them and tell them they are wrong and the warranty is really 5 years according to TV posters.

fromcleardot.gifCR HMTh [email protected] tocleardot.gif[email protected]

datecleardot.gifTue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:56 PMsubjectcleardot.gifRE: Sonata Warrantymailed-bycleardot.gifhyundai-motor.co.thcleardot.gifcleardot.gifImportant mainly because of the words in the message.

hide details 2:56 PM (4 hours ago)

Dear Khun Jack,,

The warranty conditions for The New Hyundai Sonata Sport is at 3 years or

100,000 Kilometers whichever comes first.

Sincerely yours,

Customer Relations

Hyundai Motor (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

Just adding what came to me today in email, feel free to email them and tell them they are wrong and the warranty is really 5 years according to TV posters.

fromcleardot.gifCR HMTh [email protected] tocleardot.gif[email protected]

datecleardot.gifTue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:56 PMsubjectcleardot.gifRE: Sonata Warrantymailed-bycleardot.gifhyundai-motor.co.thcleardot.gifcleardot.gifImportant mainly because of the words in the message.

hide details 2:56 PM (4 hours ago)

Dear Khun Jack,,

The warranty conditions for The New Hyundai Sonata Sport is at 3 years or

100,000 Kilometers whichever comes first.

Sincerely yours,

Customer Relations

Hyundai Motor (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

Maybe this Customer Relations Officer has no idea ? You yourself posted the website: but then say you cannot find it anywhere ???

http://www.hyundai-motor.co.th/dealer_service_service.php?id=8

On the home page [You yourself posted the website:] click on the 4th item on the left panel > click the last item........ Clearly states 5 years Unlimited KM..

As passing Hyundai Showroom just after lunch today popped in...... Must say love the car, so much better than the Camry or the Accord, I asked. salesman stated warranty 5 years Unlimited KM...

NO idea who is wrong, nice but not replacing my Audi A6 for another 18 months or so

Maybe this Customer Relations Officer has no idea ? You yourself posted the website: but then say you cannot find it anywhere ???

http://www.hyundai-m...ervice.php?id=8

On the home page [You yourself posted the website:] click on the 4th item on the left panel > click the last item........ Clearly states 5 years Unlimited KM..

As passing Hyundai Showroom just after lunch today popped in...... Must say love the car, so much better than the Camry or the Accord, I asked. salesman stated warranty 5 years Unlimited KM...

NO idea who is wrong, nice but not replacing my Audi A6 for another 18 months or so

Quite possibly I have no idea who is right and who is wrong I just find it staggering that a company can't seem to give a uniform answer to the question. We too, my wife and I spoke directly to a CSR in a dealership and she clearly told us 3 years/100,000 the website in various places says either 3 years or 5 years, the brochure that you can this minute download related ONLY to the Sonata quite clearly says 3 years on it.. it's really appalling.

I just took delivery of a 320d so I am fine for now but we were looking at trading in my wife's Camry Hybrid and she liked the look of the Sonata but if they can't even figure out such a simple question doesn't give us much faith as to how well the overall operation works...

For the record my wife has driven all three of the cars you mentioned and she too thinks the Sonata is a much much nicer ride.. of course all her friends and family are aghast that she would consider buying anything other than a Toyota.

• 4 months later...

It's a very sorry tale, kuffti and I sympathise with you very much. Although I haven't bought a car from a dealer in the normal way, I've been on the receiving-end of this lethargic sales attitude before and I quickly learned to turn around and walk off, even going without myself, if I didn't feel I was being treated with courtesy.

By contrast, I met a Thai friend-of-a-friend a year or so ago who was interested in ordering a Camry. The dealers had lent him a hybrid demonstrator car for a week with no obligation. Notably his mother is "important" - that's how it often is here - family connections sometimes mean more than common courtesy.

I personally bought a new Toyota through Expat Motors, now called Siam Motor World and the car was waiting for me on my arrival when I moved here. It was a very painless process, although I didn't test drive the car beforehand. I would do that again because frankly I can't stand the thought of going to a dealer, unless it was a Benz or Jaguar dealer, perhaps :-)

Best of luck.

Hi, Tim from Siam Motor World here. Glad to hear you were happy with our service. We are building a good reputation based on the service we offer. I just wanted to clarify to the others in the forum that Siam Motor World is my own company, separate from Expat Motors, the company that I used to work for. Regulars to the forum will understand why I have to make the situation clear.

Siam Motor World is a rather new company, so I have no indication to believe they run business as below.

One should be aware many foreigners have purchased and paid cash from other expat oriented dealers not appointed by manufactorers, and never become the owners of these vehicles, There are ongoing legal processes for 12-14 TV members in this situation, and court investigations has revealed more than one hundred vehicles have been paid for, delivered, but still not owned by buyer/payer. Some have fighted since 2006 to become the owner of the vehicle they have paid in full. They still do not own them, and can not use them on public road.

Any car dealer unable to sell a car on traditional and extremely popular hire /purchase conditions through one of the major finance companies, buyer be aware