Anyone Up For A Group " Give Up Smoking" Try

monty1412

OK, stats.. 50 years old, healthy but can feel the effects starting of 20 per day habit.

Tried Champix ( don't use them and drink red wine.. i went berserk.. probably pretty silly of me. Tried hypnosis helped but was getting sued and divorced at same time so probably optimistic of me to try and give up then. Tried patches, hate them and gave me nightmares and I mean real evil ones.

So who wants to give up and form a little collective group.. what is collective pronoun for people giving up smoking by the way ?? If its a murder of ravens, a parliament of owls or a wrench of plumbers what would would a group of people trying to give up smoking be ????

JUst interested to see if their is any support for this.. if so reply back and we can set a date that suits all and use what you may method but give each other a little support.

Rgds Monty

• Like 1

I had my last one 29 days ago. The cravings definitely went down, but still a couple times a day I find myself really wanting one. The key is you got to quit drinking alcohol at the same time and then ease into alcohol. If I had quit and shortly after had a few drinks no way would I had been able to resist have a smoke.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am on my 16th day. Using patches second step this time (weaker amt of nicotine grams per hour)

Long time smoker and doing a bit better this time round although fighting cravings many times in the

course of the day. Very hopeful as I now know for sure my health is at stake and listening to the doctors advice for once not to mention the feeling of failure and the disappointment I see in my family when I give in and pretend I am smoking much less and I am sure fooling no one.

Keep posting good luck!

• Like 1

I am in and need to buy a decent electronic ciggie thingy ma jig asap.

Anybody got any recomendations?

As to the name for a group of smokers trying to give up....i would say an irritant of smokers fits well.

Good luck to all on the evil weed killer.

I am in and need to buy a decent electronic ciggie thingy ma jig asap.

Anybody got any recomendations?

As to the name for a group of smokers trying to give up....i would say an irritant of smokers fits well.

Good luck to all on the evil weed killer.

Don't be an effin coward mate....what say we both go cold turkey this weekend? You up for it?

smoke1.jpg

This image, uploaded to the internet in 2008, shows the inside of a Dell computer which was used by a two-pack-a-day smoker for three years. Cigarette smoke carries moisture, which turns dust sticky as it settles in the computer.

smoke2.jpg

Another image of the inside of a cancer-ridden computer. The person who posted the picture to Reddit said a heavy smoker had been using the machine for 5yr.smoke3.jpg

Earlier this month this image surfaced online. It shows a curtain from a smoker's apartment being washedsmoke4.jpg

The person who uploaded this picture said it was taken after spraying Formula 409 on the ceiling of a house that two chain smokers lived in for 60 years.smoke5.jpg

It takes a lot of cigarettes to paint the walls. The person who posted this one on Reddit said: "I almost gagged walking in ... but once I started taking pictures I couldn't leave. The picture doesn't even really do it justice."

That is a frightener Ron but thanks for the reality check.

A 'choking' of smokers. Maybe not! Haven't had the

patch nightmare yet Monty feel as if I've been diddled now

but seriously I remove the patch at night and put a new

one on first thing in the morning when the first craving

hits.

Don't want to get hooked on the patches next but honestly

managing slightly better than I did with the cold turkey

method so far anyway.

There's still a bit of determination involved (well a lot

of it)

Smoked for 35 years and tried many times to give up without any luck.Finally after getting chest pains every time I lit up,at a party one night and the same thing,lit up,chest pains so decided there and then no more and went cold turkey.Have not had a cigarette now for 17 years and also have never craved one although from time to time think about it.I feel that I convinced myself that if I hadn't stopped I wouldn't be writing this now.The only problem that I had was if I caught a good whiff from somebody else smoking that I would get the chest pain again and would feel it for a day or so.That lasted for about 2 years and I feel that was the reason that I could stick by it and never wan't another one.Secondhand smoking doesn't worry me now but I still move out of the way without thinking.

Ron that bottom photo reminds of a squat i used to live in ....in Hulme years ago smile.png in fact that one looks up market!

Good day today no cigarettes w00t.gif

Still trying to find a good source for the e-ciggies just to help me along especially when i have a pint.

• 1 month later...

If this helps.

I never wanted to quit. Realising this I was aware it would be impossible for me to quit. How can we quit unless we are really true to ourselves? I felt that I wanted to quit, but I also knew I couldn't or, I enjoyed smoking too much.

A year ago I quit cold turkey... The reason why I could? I suddenly wanted to, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to quit. The reason I suddenly wanted to quit, the reason quitting was easy was that I was in hospital with a Pulmonary Embolism (not smoking related). This was enough reason for me to genuinely want to quit.

I believe the physically effects of quitting last a short time, its the habit that takes time to crack. Get pissed off at work, have a barney with the Wife and you'll feel like a cigarette. Thats not physical withdrawal, its habit, its mental.

After not smoking for 6 months I allowed myself a little relapse, I like smoking and I haven't totally quit. I allow myself a Cigarette when I want one. i.e. if I'm out on the sauce and I feel like having a smoke I will. BUT, I have a ver firm rule: I never permit myself more than 2 in an evening (and never in the day).

I haven't had a cigarette for over a month even with this rule. But, when I want one, I'll have one.

Knowing that I can still have a cigarette if I choose removes the pressure of 'having quit'... its a strange one but works.

So. In conclusion - In order to quit you have to be truthful that you genuinely want to quit. And once you have quit, don't quit, but be strict with your limitations.

I hope this helps... Good luck.

• 8 months later...

One thing that helped me quit smoking in the past is to have a text sent to you every hour, explaining why smoking is bad...funny text are even better, if they make you laugh...you get satisfaction and the craving goes away and made me lose the craving immediately.

You can use Whatsapp to send free text as long as your smartphone can access the internet. There are also pictures within this app that are quite funny if you include them along with a clever text message.

1) smoking is bad it makes your breath stink

2) smoking is bad it makes you old faster

3) smoking is bad it makes you sweat more

4) smoking will give you cancer

5) smoking makes you lose time

6) smoking changes your schedule

you get the point...sometimes we just have to be reminded why smoking is bad.

another important thing to remember is not to let something irritate you so much , you think you need a cigarette and just say screw it.

• 2 weeks later...