Lampang, Worth A Visit?

kevbap

may i say a big thank you to 99.9% of the people for their very helpful (as always) advice, i will get off to Lampang within the next month, it does sound like a good place to visit.

Heading off to Pai maybe this weekend, been putting that off for far too long !

Drew, i take it you didn't see fit to reply to my comment? thank you 0,01% B)

thanks again guys, your advice is amazing

Thanks Thai visa also

take care everybody & enjoy July !

Kevin

"I once spent a year in Lampang, I think it was on a Sunday."

-- Khun W.C. Fields :jap:

Nice one! Agree 3,000%.

There's the central temple which is a little unusual, and a recommended restaurant called The Riverside, nothing to do with the same name in Chiang Mai.

The best thing ever to come out of Lampang is the road to Chiang Mai.

I tend to think that a place is normally as boring as the person visiting it. 

I'm somewhat biased, given that I have lived in Lampang for almost a year now, but I prefer it to CM and hope to be here for a long time. I'm curious to find out from those who do think it's "boring" as to why that is? 

Lampang doesn't have streets full of girl bars, so that naturally rules out a certain subsection of person being able to enjoy the city (and I suspect that, at least partly, answers my above question). But other than that it has plenty to offer... great food, fun local hangouts, a nicer and more chilled walking street than CM, good markets, shopping for almost any need, some beautiful areas for driving and exploring and, best of all, not teeming with farang and tourists on every corner. So I always recommend it for a visit

If you live in or visit Thailand and need to be surrounded by lots of other foreigners then happy days for you if that's your bag but that and girl bars, are the only major differentiators between CM and Lampang, in my opinion. 

Thoughts, if any, are welcome. 

Wat Phra Kaew Don Tao and Wat Phrathat Lampang Luang are my 2 favourite temples. There's also Ban Sao Nak (big old teak house). Ceramic factories that sell the traditional "chicken" design tableware and also some widely seen blue & white tableware.

Temples

Ban Sao Nak

Chae Son National Park or Khuntan if you have time on the way.

• Like 1

What is a jungle market?

The "jungle market" is kat wiang, arguably the best known attraction for Thais in Lampang. It is well known for its large selection of forest products ranging from native vegetables, herbs, and edible leaves, to a large variety of the local insect cuisine. But the town itself, like the vast majority of provincial capitals, has little to offer the typical ex-pat who is not integrated into the local scene. The surrounding areas are quite nice, such as heading up due north of town.

I'm sure I saw a temple with monkeys from the train as we passed out of Lampang. Was I wrong, or are they not an attraction?

Are you sure you weren't pulling out of Lopburi on the train?

My wife agrees with you that it was in fact Lopburi. Sorry for the wrong info.

Lampang - Ceramic factory is boring .

visit the MINE . where there mining is . you should go there about 3-4 pm . there is a Huge slope , wear a pair of jean and bring some Cardboard with you so you can slide down the slope is really really fun .

and wait till sun set you will see the great gap between the huge sink hole like gap done by the mining . you can take photo of yourself holding the Sun .

- after all this . just drive to the BIG C , there is a Beer Garden . - the Band there is one of the better one in the north .

i sometime drive all the way up to lampang just to have a bottle of beer and their " Kung Opp Hoon Sen " - usually i would spend at least 3-4 hour there till there close .

other then that . is boring tourist stuff . whahhaaha

Elephant camp and "jungle market" just before Lampang. Horse and buggy rides through the center of town. Wats, bridges, bars and guest houses around the river area. Shopping malls, night market and "entertainment center" in the middle of the city.

What is a jungle market?

A market in the jungle? :rolleyes:

Lampang - Ceramic factory is boring .

visit the MINE . where there mining is . you should go there about 3-4 pm . there is a Huge slope , wear a pair of jean and bring some Cardboard with you so you can slide down the slope is really really fun .

and wait till sun set you will see the great gap between the huge sink hole like gap done by the mining . you can take photo of yourself holding the Sun .

- after all this . just drive to the BIG C , there is a Beer Garden . - the Band there is one of the better one in the north .

i sometime drive all the way up to lampang just to have a bottle of beer and their " Kung Opp Hoon Sen " - usually i would spend at least 3-4 hour there till there close .

other then that . is boring tourist stuff . whahhaaha

You just made it sound like Disney World, i gotta live there!!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

lampang is like chiang mai but alot smaller. its quiet and plesent and there some fun day trips to do as well as night life. the people a friendly as always inthailand and i have great time when im up there. I have a friend that lives up there and does business there 2. so i have a great time but i get around with her so we know where to go but im not sure how it is if you dont know any one. but i suppose its the same every where in the world right.

sorry i forgot to add this but I stay at the hotel (Kimcity) when im there. its clean, cheap and in the center of town and the owners are really friendly there is a museum up there too that is interestings. called (baan saonuk) i tink the people at the hotel can help with that. horse and carage rides are also an attraction and the hotel can arrange one of those 4 u as well.

Not a great deal in Lampang for a tourist but - to repeat what someone above said - Ban Sao Nak is OK and Wat Pra That Lampang Luang is good. There's a walking market but it's a fraction of the size of Chiang Mai's. Avoid Riverside restaurant. We're getting a museum but that delight has yet to appear. It's a nice place to live but it's never going to be a major tourist attraction, and for that I'm quite happy.

sorry i forgot to add this but I stay at the hotel (Kimcity) when im there. its clean, cheap and in the center of town and the owners are really friendly there is a museum up there too that is interestings. called (baan saonuk) i tink the people at the hotel can help with that. horse and carage rides are also an attraction and the hotel can arrange one of those 4 u as well.

cheers Jerry, i have a thai gf from Chiang Mai, and they seem to have 'relatives' in every town!

i will certainly be giving it a trip maybe next month as im off to some lake this weekend as a birthday treat from my Thai friends, it isnt a famous lake either ! i will post after Sunday.

Cheers Kevin

Not a great deal in Lampang for a tourist but - to repeat what someone above said - Ban Sao Nak is OK and Wat Pra That Lampang Luang is good. There's a walking market but it's a fraction of the size of Chiang Mai's. Avoid Riverside restaurant. We're getting a museum but that delight has yet to appear. It's a nice place to live but it's never going to be a major tourist attraction, and for that I'm quite happy.

Thanks Dan i like what your saying about no tourists, i avoid them in Chiang Mai ! its getting harder and harder though !

Will defo take a trip there next month and thanks again

Kevin

Thanks Dan i like what your saying about no tourists, i avoid them in Chiang Mai ! its getting harder and harder though !

Will defo take a trip there next month and thanks again

Kevin

Feel free to give me a shout if you want any suggestions for watering holes!

Thanks fto everyone for their comments here, i will certainly come back to this topic during August for my reference on what to do there in Lampang.

On another note, i visited the Sri Lanna national park last weekend for my birthday treat from my Thai friends.

What a fantastic and relaxing weekend ! we stayed in some "shacks" on the lake itself, costing 100baht a night each!

We took our own food and plates but they supplied everything, we stayed at the cheaper/cheapest place on the lake, but on further research found other houses/shacks for a little more money. Some places were offering 500b a night with 3 meals and someone to cook them for you on your "float" !

Great place to stay, the only thing i saw that was a minus was the electric going off at midnight, it was hot in the shacks ! so maybe a generator is a good idea?

Highly recommended if you want to do a Thai style cheap night out or weekend. The long tail boat that takes you out to the Houses costs 500b return, so 10 people 100b. here's a website to look at,

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/national-parks_sri-lanna.html

Enjoy Kevin

post-32271-0-61372200-1312455214_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Based on some BM's reccomendations id like to go to see the Elephant Recovery Centre. I think i'll get the bus from Chiang Mai but once I get there are there plenty of taxis/tuk tuk's around to take us to the elephant camp? Just want to see how much of a hassle it is else i'll opt for someone not so out of the way.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Funny. I am on the move... yet again... and there are many options... still considering but one of them is Ko Ka, a small villlage, close to Lampang, where I bought some land several years ago,. so who knows I may well yet end up there!

• 3 weeks later...

There are some good ceramics other than that is just a boring version of CM

Agree about the ceramics. A few km out of town towards Chiang Mai is a largish roadside shop selling a great range of ceramics, and are always great for presents to take back to the home country or in the house.

I intend to buy another set of casserole dishes there on my next trip.

For me, the nicest place to visit is the old Lanna house with over 100 teak stumps. The staff serve a nice cup of tea in the under-house area, and the all timber finish and bits 'n pieces are quite interesting. Well worth a day trip, horse and buggy ride and some interesting temples as well.

• Like 1

Well, apart from riding a horse 'n' carriage it was boring, boring, boring.

Well it says something that the horse and carriage was the only non-boring thing for you.

What sort of things did you look for and didn't find that would have interested you?

The big temple was interesting and I'm usually all "templed out", but this one had preserved a lot of orginal old materials, and it gave a real sense of what temple life used to be like.

One worrying thing is that they have a chedi that is hollow and inside light comes through a small hole and acts as a "camera obscura" and flips the image.

A Thai man I was with told me that this was magic and nobody knows how it works. I told him its been known how this works for 100s of years, its a camera obscura. He looked a bit crestfallen that I ruined his belief it was really magic.

The worrying part? That he's in his final couple of years training to be an airline pilot!