BANGKOK 24 February 2019 12:45
Sign in to follow this  
kevbap

Lampang, Worth A Visit?

Not a great deal in Lampang for a tourist but - to repeat what someone above said - Ban Sao Nak is OK and Wat Pra That Lampang Luang is good. There's a walking market but it's a fraction of the size of Chiang Mai's. Avoid Riverside restaurant. We're getting a museum but that delight has yet to appear. It's a nice place to live but it's never going to be a major tourist attraction, and for that I'm quite happy.

Thanks Dan i like what your saying about no tourists, i avoid them in Chiang Mai ! its getting harder and harder though !

Will defo take a trip there next month and thanks again

Kevin

Not a great deal in Lampang for a tourist but - to repeat what someone above said - Ban Sao Nak is OK and Wat Pra That Lampang Luang is good. There's a walking market but it's a fraction of the size of Chiang Mai's. Avoid Riverside restaurant. We're getting a museum but that delight has yet to appear. It's a nice place to live but it's never going to be a major tourist attraction, and for that I'm quite happy.

Thanks Dan i like what your saying about no tourists, i avoid them in Chiang Mai ! its getting harder and harder though !

Will defo take a trip there next month and thanks again

Kevin

Feel free to give me a shout if you want any suggestions for watering holes!

Thanks fto everyone for their comments here, i will certainly come back to this topic during August for my reference on what to do there in Lampang.

On another note, i visited the Sri Lanna national park last weekend for my birthday treat from my Thai friends.

What a fantastic and relaxing weekend ! we stayed in some "shacks" on the lake itself, costing 100baht a night each!

We took our own food and plates but they supplied everything, we stayed at the cheaper/cheapest place on the lake, but on further research found other houses/shacks for a little more money. Some places were offering 500b a night with 3 meals and someone to cook them for you on your "float" !

Great place to stay, the only thing i saw that was a minus was the electric going off at midnight, it was hot in the shacks ! so maybe a generator is a good idea?

Highly recommended if you want to do a Thai style cheap night out or weekend. The long tail boat that takes you out to the Houses costs 500b return, so 10 people 100b. here's a website to look at,

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/national-parks_sri-lanna.html

Enjoy Kevin

post-32271-0-61372200-1312455214_thumb.j

Based on some BM's reccomendations id like to go to see the Elephant Recovery Centre. I think i'll get the bus from Chiang Mai but once I get there are there plenty of taxis/tuk tuk's around to take us to the elephant camp? Just want to see how much of a hassle it is else i'll opt for someone not so out of the way.

Thanks

i was thinking the same... no bars there?

I have to go soon anyone any ideas about any bars in Lampang?

Funny. I am on the move... yet again... and there are many options... still considering but one of them is Ko Ka, a small villlage, close to Lampang, where I bought some land several years ago,. so who knows I may well yet end up there!

Well, apart from riding a horse 'n' carriage it was boring, boring, boring.

There are some good ceramics other than that is just a boring version of CM

Agree about the ceramics. A few km out of town towards Chiang Mai is a largish roadside shop selling a great range of ceramics, and are always great for presents to take back to the home country or in the house.

I intend to buy another set of casserole dishes there on my next trip.

For me, the nicest place to visit is the old Lanna house with over 100 teak stumps. The staff serve a nice cup of tea in the under-house area, and the all timber finish and bits 'n pieces are quite interesting. Well worth a day trip, horse and buggy ride and some interesting temples as well.

• Like 1

The horse & carriage got old too after about 5 minutes. ;)

That long? Hehe

The horse & carriage got old too after about 5 minutes. wink.png

Wait... for what it's worth.. they also have giant meat ball in Lampang

post-131333-0-21814100-1336490253_thumb.

post-131333-0-98569700-1336490283_thumb.

• Like 1

The horse & carriage got old too after about 5 minutes. wink.png

Wait... for what it's worth.. they also have giant meat ball in Lampang

That looks terrible!bah.gif

Lampang...one hour is enough there.

Well, apart from riding a horse 'n' carriage it was boring, boring, boring.

Well it says something that the horse and carriage was the only non-boring thing for you.

What sort of things did you look for and didn't find that would have interested you?

The big temple was interesting and I'm usually all "templed out", but this one had preserved a lot of orginal old materials, and it gave a real sense of what temple life used to be like.

One worrying thing is that they have a chedi that is hollow and inside light comes through a small hole and acts as a "camera obscura" and flips the image.

A Thai man I was with told me that this was magic and nobody knows how it works. I told him its been known how this works for 100s of years, its a camera obscura. He looked a bit crestfallen that I ruined his belief it was really magic.

The worrying part? That he's in his final couple of years training to be an airline pilot!