Desperately Seeking Bbq

aole

A cry for help! We are almost into the Xmas/NY season and I do not have a bbq! :o

Does anyone know where I can purchase a good quality BBQ in Bangkok, the likes of a Webber, Beef Master or similar? Features might include 2-3 burners, charcoal grill, wok burner and hood. I have been looking in all the wrong places and have uncovered aisles full of aluminium bbq wannabees... these are dark days my friends :D

Up Sukhumvit Soi 33 turning on the right hand side - from memory its Wall Street bar if its still there on that corner. Brad an Aussie guy has a shophouse full of imported Aussie BBQ's - whatever you want you can get it there albeit at a price, but they are good.

Up Sukhumvit Soi 33 turning on the right hand side - from memory its Wall Street bar if its still there on that corner.  Brad an Aussie guy has a shophouse full of imported Aussie BBQ's - whatever you want you can get it there albeit at a price, but they are good.

....thats correct, Brads Bar is called Lookie Lookie, the OP should call into see him, nice bloke!

A cry for help! We are almost into the Xmas/NY season and I do not have a bbq! :o

Does anyone know where I can purchase a good quality BBQ in Bangkok, the likes of a Webber, Beef Master or similar?  Features might include 2-3 burners, charcoal grill, wok burner and hood.  I have been looking in all the wrong places and have uncovered aisles full of aluminium bbq wannabees... these are dark days my friends :D

True Value stores - importers of US hardware etc. carry a small range of Weber products - unfortunately they don't seem to live up to their name; they seem rather dear to me!

I may be able to import one from Oz but I'm not sure it would get here before Xmas....

I'm looking at buying one also. What I'm concerned about is if I buy the gas type grill will the barbeque flavor be nearly as good as if it were a charcoal burner? Don't want to spend 10-15k to find out the results are far different.

I'm looking at buying one also.  What I'm concerned about is if I buy the gas type grill will the barbeque flavor be nearly as good as if it were a charcoal burner?  Don't want to spend 10-15k to find out the results are far different.

I use a charcoal but I'm a traditionalist...however I did have a gas one for some time and they very convenient. The ones with the lava rocks in them do seem to get a good BBQ flavour too s they collect the dripping fats etc and it then ignites and splutters like charcoal and gives you that smokey charcoal taste...

We made the switch from charcoal to LPG when I was a kid, and never looked back.

While lava rocks or "flavor bars" help a little by burning the drippings, I think the real trick is to start using wood smoke. Get a bag of clean wood chips of your favorite flavor, pre-soak them in water, and put them in a metal pan under the grill off to one side. The gas fire will dry them out and get them smoking before you know it. (No water, and they might ignite and burn too cleanly... not much smoke flavor.)

Does anyone know where around BKK you could get good wood chips for smoking meat (and what native types of wood are good)? In the western US we usually used hickory and mesquite.

Does anyone know where around BKK you could get good wood chips for smoking meat (and what native types of wood are good)?  In the western US we usually used hickory and mesquite.

I was looking for this too in case I get the gas unit and need to bring the taste up a bit. Came across some at homepro:

http://www.homepro.co.th/hmp_new/products/...oupID=OL2030103

I'm looking at buying one also.  What I'm concerned about is if I buy the gas type grill will the barbeque flavor be nearly as good as if it were a charcoal burner?  Don't want to spend 10-15k to find out the results are far different.

methinks, this weekend somebody will make BBQ :D:D

(and what native types of wood are good)?

:o me.... just put some info in LOS, we can find food here that they smoking it with bagasse

methinks, this weekend somebody will make BBQ  :D  :D

Did you ever make your BBQ ribs? :D Was wondering if was pork ribs or beef ribs? Maybe babyback,babyback...,babyback ribs...

hehehe, yes yes..after that tread, i did it already last Sunday ..pretty succesful, i use pork ( i found Aus Lamb Rib in Tesco also .. but that time it was sort or "experiment" so i use pork ribs instead

babyback >> u mean "Baby Got back"?

:o I like big butts and I can not lie NudeAss.gif

Sir Bamix Alot

babyback >>  u mean "Baby Got back"? 

:o I like big butts and I can not lie NudeAss.gif

Sir Bamix Alot

Fat Bastard: I want my baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back riiiiiiiibs!

Fat Bastard: I'm bigger than you are! I'm higher on the food chain!

Is his big enough for you?

post-566-1129892052.jpg

When living in Iowa, we used to go out to the Pork Fair and eat free pork barbeque for a couple of days at a time.......

I saw a few of these grills, unfortunately I don't have a massive supply of wood and the local charcoal sucks (Burns to hot & fast). I currently have a single 55 gallon drum barbeque in Chiangmai.

I think I will just get the Weber Q and at least it fits in the trunk of the car.

We made the switch from charcoal to LPG when I was a kid, and never looked back.

While lava rocks or "flavor bars" help a little by burning the drippings, I think the real trick is to start using wood smoke. Get a bag of clean wood chips of your favorite flavor, pre-soak them in water, and put them in a metal pan under the grill off to one side. The gas fire will dry them out and get them smoking before you know it.  (No water, and they might ignite and burn too cleanly... not much smoke flavor.)

Does anyone know where around BKK you could get good wood chips for smoking meat (and what native types of wood are good)?  In the western US we usually used hickory and mesquite.

Home pro next to Carrefour in Pattaya carry that sort of stuff and a range of mostly crappy BBQs (Chinese made)