Getting The Wife A U.S Travel Visa

Looking for some feed back, is applying for a U.S travel visa for my wife something to consider or just go all the way and start the permenant residence visa. I've heard getting a thai wife a travel visa is near to impossible. So, if some of you have some first hand feed back that would be great.

Reckon you'd do better with this Q in the "Visas and migration to other countries" forum, a mod will probably move it.

And please do take a look through that forum for your Q, lots of POSITIVE results for guys taking their Thai wife on a Tourist Visa to the U.S., and most importantly, returning to Thailand. My wife's had five tourist visas, the last two being the 10-year types.

A lot would depend on YOUR status in Thailand, working? Going to school? Semi permanent in Thailand, or at least here for a semi long time?

Mac

My wife and I were successful last year.

Yes, it is a nightmare but can be done.

Of course there is lots of steps and plenty of red tape.

The hardest part is getting an appointment.

Seems they only put out a few openings every month and when we did it, after 2 AM on Tuesdays was the optimal time to try. (according to others and it worked for me, after about 4 weeks of trying)

I have a friend who tried it this year and was finally successful after about 6 weeks of trying.

So, start early.

For the final interview, we had a big pile of papers, including letters, pictures, official documents etc. They only looked at one. (same with my friend this year)

But, you never know which one they are going to ask for of course.

The other thing that really upset me (wife didn't complain), was: after all the problems getting an appointment (7:15 AM on a Monday morning), they made her stand in a line until 1:20 PM for the 10 minute interview.

IT's got to be one of the worst run application processes in the world.

Good luck. After all the headaches, we had a very enjoyable 5 month trip to the states last year.

We'd go again but would prefer to stay longer (flights so expensive) and I am just not up for the legwork of starting all over again for the homeland security's process.

The age difference is a major factor at the US embassy. If there is a big age gap between you and your Isan pi-noi then don't waste your money on an expensive application fee.Even if youre married and sponsor her you will mostly likely be rejected.The government will take your money and throw the application in the bin.Farang embassies get thousands of ridiculous Isan wife visa applications every month. Theyre all tightening up these days.

I have only done transit visas (airport layover) for my wife, but have routinely found the process arduous - a lot of time, expensive, jumping through hoops, and getting sneered at through the bulletproof glass as if I were attempting to smuggle a few dozen 13 year olds. Once I was sternly advised "not to get any funny ideas about leaving the airport with her." My wife is 43. It was a 90 minute layover on our way to Central America. Perhaps I just got the employee who drew the bad mood card, but each time I see the process getting a little more difficult. Don't know what will happen with Thailand being added to the list of "countries to watch" for human trafficking. It was always refreshing flying KLM via Amsterdam, where we didn't need to go through the expense and processes the US imposes, but there is only one way to get her in the US if that is your destination, and that is to play by their rules. Good luck.

I won't bother to tell my stories but must say that is an area of the US Embassy that definitely needs improvement.

I paid $20 for a PIN number that would allow me to ask some questions. The guy I talked to knew less than I did. I tried to explain that I lived 600 kilometers from Bangkok and didn't want to make multiple trips. It was like talking to a brick wall. I was NOT impressed.

Sure a lot of negative comments in this thread.

Must say that my wife's four Tourist Visas were pretty easy, must also say, tho, that the last one was in 2006 before the appointment queue problem became so difficult.

One poster commented on "great difference in age." How about 20 years in our case, not a problem.

Stacks of documents? We also took a good stack but the only doc that was reviewed was my passport that showed a bunch of "retirement" extensions going back to 1998.

Back to my earlier posting, if YOU'RE pretty much fixed in place in Thailand, reckon there won't be a problem. If you've just completed your job and looking for another, and want to take the trip during the gap, could be troubles.

Mac

Must say that my wife's four Tourist Visas were pretty easy, must also say, tho, that the last one was in 2006 before the appointment queue problem became so difficult.

One poster commented on "great difference in age." How about 20 years in our case, not a problem.

Stacks of documents? We also took a good stack but the only doc that was reviewed was my passport that showed a bunch of "retirement" extensions going back to 1998.

Back to my earlier posting, if YOU'RE pretty much fixed in place in Thailand, reckon there won't be a problem. If you've just completed your job and looking for another, and want to take the trip during the gap, could be troubles.

Mac

Thanks alot, seventeen years in age, so that part sounds ok, She , we have children in thai as well, so someone to come home to if we can't take them. Anyhow, I'll take all of these postings into consideration, Thanks all

The age difference is a major factor at the US embassy. If there is a big age gap between you and your Isan pi-noi then don't waste your money on an expensive application fee.Even if youre married and sponsor her you will mostly likely be rejected.The government will take your money and throw the application in the bin.Farang embassies get thousands of ridiculous Isan wife visa applications every month. Theyre all tightening up these days.

Do you know this to be fact based on personal experience or an assumption based on bar stool gossip?

Just for the record my partner is considerably younger than me and comes from a small village in deepest Issan, and whilst she has never applied for a US visa she applied for UK and Schengen Visas, both of which were granted at the first request.

Mac

20 years here and no problem for immigrant visa.

OP in your opening comments you asked if you should get a tourist or go for a permanent residence. Well, this depends on what your plans are. If you plan on living in the USA then you need to apply for the correct visa either spouse or finance. If you dont plan of living in the USA then you need to apply for a tourist visa

i dont think the age difference matters that much, more on your relationship and if she has strong ties to return to Thailand, this is most important. If you are working then you should have a work permit and this will help, especially if you have been working for the company a few years. If you have a long term lease or she owns a house that will help. If you have a car or truck and making payment on this that will help. Anything to show you have obligations here and will return.

There are allot of visas that are denied, but there are just as many that are approved.

Good luck!!!

my wife this year got a tourist visa (10 yr) no prolem once past the getting an appointment. Don't think age difference means much, there is 23 yrs difference with us and that was no problem. They just look to make sure she has a reason to come back...good luck

I got my visa for my wife on the first try. We applied for the B2, not knowing it was the "hard" one to get. The officer explained to me that by law he is supposed to review a B-2 application purely on the requestor. They are not supposed to factor in the American spouse. That being said, they want her to show "ties to Thailand", that being something compelling to bring her back home. He admitted then that they look strongly at the spouses residency. If you are living in Thailand legally, and that is where you make your home, they look VERY favorably on that. But if you are doing visa runs, etc. and maintain your main residency in the US, they consider that more of a reason for her to overstay in the US with you.

So I think in some cases the age thing is an advantage. A retired guy, living legally in Thailand on a retirement visa should have an easier time getting his spouse a B-2 visa.

We also dragged in the big stack of paperwork...the wedding pictures, the land documents, the school enrollments, etc. Wife had taken my last name and updated her passport, son has US passport and Social Security number, we had been married two years at that point. I thought we looked pretty good for it.

But they were going to decline us because I did not live in Thailand. I usually work in the Middle East, and have a home in the USA, and have never bothered to get a Thai residency because I don't stay there for more than 30-60 days at a time.

Luckily, the officer had just left his last post in Kuwait, at the US Embassy there. He told me this at the end of the interview, and said because of that he believed everything I told him about my work (we knew some of the same people) and he would give me the benefit of the doubt. He also said if she followed the rules, we should get a 10 year next time around quite easily. I hope that is the case. Wife has her appointment next month.

The appointment process is a pain in the butt, for sure. Its a terrible system, terrible design. Prepare to be angry. Prepare to be patient. I am embarrassed as an American that this is how we are represented to Thais who wish to visit our country. They must wonder how we feel entitled to complain about visa processes in their country, when ours is so awful as well.

My wife was granted a 10 year tourist visa last year on her first attempt. Oh, and she is from Issan :whistling:. Maybe try doing a little research before posting again.

Oops forgot to mention a few other things.....

The visa process I am describing took place four years ago. We just submitted for a new one, and wifes appointment is the end of next month.

Some things have changed. The paperwork all states that only SHE can enter the embassy for this appointment. If that is really the case, then she needs to be prepared to face them alone. I am not too worried about it this time, as she is more confident having done it once before. And she already has been to the US, as well as Kuwait and the UAE, so I don't expect them to put her through the wringer.

The other thing I wanted to mention, the officer told me that if you apply for the Immigration visa, then they are allowed to review the situation as a "whole", to include you and your assets, job, etc. He said she could be penniless and unemployed and it would not matter.

There are also several videos on YouTube that give some tips on filling out the paperwork. A few of them are in Thai...my wife seemed to learn a lot from them, and that helps her feel better about the process too...she knows whats going on. I think it was under DS-60 Thailand or something like that.

Hope that helps....good luck.

Totally agree about the application/interview process being an embarrassment. That said, my girlfriend, who is 23 years younger than me, was able to get a tourist visa last year and a 10 year this year. They were actually more interested in me and my status than her, though she does have a job, which helps. To get an interview, you really have to focus and stay on it until something opens up. BTW, your senator back home can help, as mine in Vermont was ready to, but it all worked out without him.

The #1 thing they are looking for at the interview is ties to Thailand. They want to make sure if they give her a visa, she's going to come back. That's what you have to establish and prove to the embassy. So the better her job, the more property she owns, children left in Thailand while she visits, the more likely you are to succeed.

If she's your girlfriend/wife, they'll be worried that you're trying to get her in the USA as a tourist, when in reality you are trying to avoid going through the K1/K2 visa process.

My friend with a Master's Degree, who went to school in the US, was denied a tourist visa to visit her sister who lives in California. What's worse, they stamped her passport with a visa denied stamp. She tried again a year later, and was approved.

We did it earlier in the year and everything except getting the visa appointment was smooth. The US Embassy division that handles appointments I think plays some games because there are never any appointments available on the calendar. It is a frustrating process getting the appointment as it involves paying money for on-line pins, etc. and then at the end of the on-line process you hit this 'calendar never has any appointments' dead end. We even thought about trying to do the appointment in Chiang Mai since their calendar is 'normal', but it would have been a no-go since we have no ties to that area. Anyway, finally I faxed my US congressman, and followed up with an email and EMS overnight letter. That did the trick as far as the appointment went, we got an expedited appointment the next week. The US congressman had assigned it to a aide who really did a good job of putting heat where it needed to be put and in addition kept in touch with me asking how the process was going.

The only other point I would make here is that once you get the appointment and the wife actually goes for the interview you (the husband) are not allowed to enter or accompany the interviewee (wife) so you should organize all of the documentation for the wife to carry appropriately before hand and not expect to be there to be asked to present any documents.

In our case we were just looking for a travel visa but they gave her a 10 year visa.

If she's your girlfriend/wife, they'll be worried that you're trying to get her in the USA as a tourist, when in reality you are trying to avoid going through the K1/K2 visa process.

I believe it is easier to get the visa if the husband has a visa legally living in Thailand as otherwise I think the above is a problem.

I am curious what you base this on opinion on. I have two American friends that have a 25 and a 35 year age difference in their marriages. Both were granted a tourist visa on the first attempt without hassle. In fact the marriage with the 35 age difference had been granted a visa twice. the current one is good 10 years.

Wife got her tourist visa in 2006 on the first try, a 10-year multiple entry. Slamdunk easy. Easier than what we've gone through to get me a one-year extension on a Non-Imm 'O' in Thailand.

2010 finally finished the immigrant visa process to the USA. A bit of a hassle, but not as to whether they would give it to her or not, but simply jumping through the bureaucratic hoops.

• 3 months later...

There is lots of good advice on this thread. Unfortunately yours isn't one of them. My Issan wife who is 27 years younger than me, got her visa first try. While they do look at age, and age difference, they are not stupid. They look at an 18 year old girl with a man that is 27 years older, differently than they do a 30 year old woman, with a man that is 27 years older. Also, they look at how nervous the lady is, does she look like she is lying. Can she easliy answer all the questions asked? Did she bring in documents showing ties to Thailand, does the husband or boy friend have ties to Thailand. I sent mine with copies of my passport, and each of my retirement visa stamps. She had our marriage certificate along with our registration from the Ampur. Bring lots of pictures of you together in different places (not bars) They may not even look at the pictures, but knowing that she has them scores points. Pictures of children, family and friends show ties as well. They will check employment history before her interview. Working bar will not go over. Have the application filled out correctly, double and triple check it for accuracy before submitting. I didn't spend a lot of time on the computer hoping to find a spot where someone cancelled, We just took the first date available, it was 5 weeks out. She went dressed very nice, but conservative. Hot pants and thongs probably do not go over well.

Starting a few days before the interview, I gave her practice interviews. I asked every question I had ever heard of them asking, and some that I thought they might. I did it until she could answer all questions easily, with out thought. She speaks English well, but was scared that she could not do well in English, we asked that the interview be done in Thai. They like the ladies to know how to speak English, and not bar English. I made sure that if they asked her if she spoke English, she did not respond with nit noy, or yes. I asked her over and over again until she memorized the phrase, "Yes, I speak English, but not very well" showing that she in fact can.

The #1 thing they are looking for at the interview is ties to Thailand. They want to make sure if they give her a visa, she's going to come back. That's what you have to establish and prove to the embassy. So the better her job, the more property she owns, children left in Thailand while she visits, the more likely you are to succeed.

My friend with a Master's Degree, who went to school in the US, was denied a tourist visa to visit her sister who lives in California. What's worse, they stamped her passport with a visa denied stamp. She tried again a year later, and was approved.

You answered your own statement. They want to see ties to Thailand. Going to visit a sister, gives her ties to the US. They may even think the sister is selling pussy, and she is going for that. She should have brought her old passport showing a previous stay in the US, and then coming back to Thailand. Also had documentation showing strong ties to Thailand.

My wife has a friend who has been turned down eight times. On her first try she told them that she wanted to visit her Aunt, and help her out with her restaurant. WRONG!! A B2 visa doesn't allow employment. The Aunt's restaurant is also a front for prostitution, there is a good chance they know that. The girl has the last two applications paid for help from a visa agency. I think that she has already shot herself in the foot, and will never get a visa. Read all the rules before applying. Even taking a class can be a reason for denial. She could take a two day cooking class, or a 6 week Salsa dance class, but can not take any credit course. If she is a dental tech and wants to take a 1 credit teeth whitening course, that is a reason for denial. Even if that one credit came from a weekend seminar done during a three month holiday.

Several women scared my wife with stories of being turned down. They said that she wouldn't get a visa, and that they are very hard to get. However, if you know the rules, asked friends, and read the forums to find out what they are looking for, it shouldn't be a problem. Ask the girls that are trying to scare the wife enough questions, and you will catch on as to why they were turned down. If you can see it, someone that does that for a living will catch it as well.

My GF just received her US tourist visa Wednesday; she had her interview the previous Friday. Yes, the paperwork and web site are challenging, but not impossible. She had 3 inches of paperwork to backup her ties to Thailand, they only looked at two things: Her business license, and my passport with a business visa, the interview lasted about 15 minutes.

Be prepared.

Be honest.

Good luck.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Ok, Newbie on this forum board but not a newbie to Thailand. After having met a butterfly here in the US already and spending 5 years of ignorance, we went our separate ways but I was by that time captivated by Thailand, the culture and the people. I want to retire to a rural village there are some point and enjoy family, etc. I spent some time here in the US trying to find a suitable friend in the US but no avail. Never seemed to match nor did they want to retire to a Thai village. I then had a friend from past help me find someone whom I have grown quite fond of in a village. We have been communicating daily and chatting via phone, etc. for the past few months. I will be traveling to meet family in the upcoming and am trying to steel myself for the uphill battle coming if we decide to try to get her a visa to come to the US and be my wife here. I own my own online tech business (don't ask its not relevant and no its not porn) that does reasonably well. I am not looking to open a sub in Asia currently either. I plan to use an immigration attorney here to do the paperwork if we get to that point, but know we will have to do the gathering, etc. Keep in mind, she is a village girl, says she has not had a passport or visa before nor has she traveled beyond Korat. Family are rice farmers - I had it checked by a friend of mine from previous when I was in Thailand that has govt ties. Confirmed. I also checked in some of the local areas and things showed correctly there as well - its very small with a rather niche connection online. She is completing her bachelors degree currently in Korat for management information (Corp Trainer stuff). I am prepared to support her, cover the insurance, etc life things as I did already with the butterfly but hopefully this time appreciated. She has not once asked that yet nor asked for me to pay bills yet. I just expect it do it.

I've traveled to Thailand a few times for various reasons and am planning on coming back in December and/or March to visit family and her. We are only 15 years age difference.

I value a number of peoples opinions here as I have read the forums for quite a while, just don't post often. Here are my questions:

1) Whats the time needed for her to get a Thai passport? What is required and how much will it cost. She is from the Korat area currently but born and raised 2 hours away from there in a village.

2) Whats the anticipated time needed for a K-1 or K-3 visa to the US? Whats needed, cost, etc?. I'm in an area where I have direct access to ICE and actually have a friend who is an ICE enforcement agent (it does no good though, its the bureaucratic side that does the application approval. He just kicks them out that don't have it!) but she will be meeting him as he is a close friend and only lives a mile from me... odd irony huh?

3) English language schools - how much English does she need given I am miserable in Thai but can communicate with her and she is decent with English with me. Its the understanding for functional life, etc. I am asking about that they require. Can you suggest a reputable place in Korat she can take some classes if needed and the cost.

4) What else am I missing to compete the paperwork and get the approvals for the entire ordeal. I understand that this does not include the issues with family but it may be manageable as her 2 years younger sister is married with a westerner from the UK already as well. I'm thinking that this may have already opened some of the acceptance of a farang... or not!

Please, this is a serious inquiry although I have used some humor at times. I have no desire for a butterfly, vacation guide or other such relationships - don't bring it up or suggest it as I am not amused with it - reality or not with some farangs. I am looking to have someone long term and when I am ready to retire, retire to Thailand with her. Live here (US) for the next few years, then retire there. Yes, we both want kids and would be blessed to have them there or here.

Thank you in advance for your efforts to educate me on the realities of the uphill battle with the bureaucratic monster. I will read every link and every post.

Best,

JSatGS

Hi JsatGS.

The passport application process only takes an hour or so, and cost…..I think 1000 Baht. They will mail it to her within a week. That’s the easy part, and really all you can do until you meet her and determine if the two of you are a good match. After that, I would let the immigration lawyer handle it all. IMHO.

It may be worth contacting the lawyer now. He/she may be able to help ease your mind of some questions, and possibly put a short list of do’s and don’ts together for you prior to you visit. And/or, a list of documents you could gather together during you visit, should you want to get married.

Good luck

Shot

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary full quote of long preceding post removed.
  • Like 1

Shot - Great response and exactly what I was looking for. I will make the arrangements to speak with the immigration attorney so I have them on retainer and we can do the needful for the Thai visa. as well while preparing to go visit family. Thank you, JSatGS

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed

• 3 weeks later...

It can be done.

My Fiance just walked out of the Embassy with her Tourist VISA approved. Being only 26 and only having 80,000 Baht in her bank account I was real skeptical, even planned out what I would say when it was rejected. In any case, the one thing she mentioned, and seemed to be the only thing the Embassy Interviewer cared about was her ties to Thailand(Not me, I am just here on vacation). She had her Car Note, Degree and Business License, but that was never asked for by the Thai or American Interviwer. The only document they looked at was the Bank statement, which they even said she does'nt have enough funds for the trip. Maybe luck of the draw, or her command of the English language impressed the Amercian Interviewer enough that she was sincere in her answers. Like I mentioned in the beggining, I was very doubtful over the outcome condsidering we just started the process in July and never used an agency for assistance.

Edited by bigd987

Hi JsatGS.

The passport application process only takes an hour or so, and cost…..I think 1000 Baht. They will mail it to her within a week. That’s the easy part, and really all you can do until you meet her and determine if the two of you are a good match. After that, I would let the immigration lawyer handle it all. IMHO.

It may be worth contacting the lawyer now. He/she may be able to help ease your mind of some questions, and possibly put a short list of do’s and don’ts together for you prior to you visit. And/or, a list of documents you could gather together during you visit, should you want to get married.

Good luck

Shot

Shot we are in process now. I'm going over in December to meet family and do the usual thing there with them and she has shared they are excited to meet me too. We've been having our daily video calls and chats, etc. and things seem to be going smooth. I've reached out to retain an immigration attorney here off the board that seems to have ties in BKK and in the US. Worst case scenario I can retain one here locally as well. She is working on getting her Thai passport so by the time I arrive in December we can proceed to the next steps with the K-1 Visa and try to make the process smooth as possible. I dont want to muddy the waters but she is working currently for an American company as a corporate trainer there and has expressed interest in doing something similar here, which I think is great. It may be a beneficial thing but I will take the attorney's steps to ensure we dont add issues to the process.

What do you remember of the process for documentation that we should be keeping to establish the relationship for the K-1 process?

Best,

JSatGS

• 1 year later...

Great Forum. We have an odd situation. My Thai wife has a great job, several degrees, owns 2 homes in Thailand and is 19 years my junior.

Yes, I feel lucky. going on 6 years of marriage. We got her a Fiance VISA, she took time off work, we were married in the USA shortly after her arrival (first time in USA) and immediately applied for a Parole from needing to stay in USA for 2 years. She waited 6 weeks, but had to go back to her nursing job - a very good one. Of course, two days after she she had to leave, a letter arrived from the nearest Immigration Office inviting us to an interview on the request to leave the country and keep the Green Card going.

Seems we blew the whole thing up, and will need to start over.

I would like to have her come visit, while we get things going again. Our issue that is different is I live in California, and go visit her several times a year. She lives in BKK, and does not want to live in the USA - wants me to move there. Can't happen for some years still.

So we want to get the green card going, and I want to have her come here for a 2 week visit.

SHE says the Embassy in BKK will deny her a tourist VISA if she is truthful that we are happily married.

I can't get a straight answer - or ANY answer from stateside here, except I can start the Green Card App all over, and they expect her to be HERE in the USA.

Are we the only folks, with a real marriage but a long distance relationship a lot of the time? Not easy when you land outside the box.

Both of our finances are OK, and ties in our respective countries strong.

I told her to just get a tourist VISA for now, but she is afraid to, and I can see why.

Thank you in advance for anyone having any useful info.

Best,
G