Falang Music Shops

jaideeguy

Anyone out there can recomend the best source of falang music cds in chiang mai?? tower reords would be too much to ask, but any other shops that would have a decent selection of 'non mainstream' music. i've been living i the CM area for 6 yrs now and the best selection i've found is the night bizaar bootleggers.

Do you not have a cd warehouse near you . We have one in Pattaya which stocks an excellent range of western  music :o

Pattaya is the only location outside of Bangkok in which a CD Warehouse is located. To my knowledge, there is no good source for (legal) Western-tastes CDs in Chiang Mai.

Anyone out  there can recomend the best source of falang music cds in chiang mai??  tower reords would be too much to ask, but any other shops that would have a decent selection of 'non mainstream' music.  i've been living i the CM area for 6 yrs now and the best selection i've found is the night bizaar bootleggers.

There was a Tower Records in Bangkok for several years but the franchise was revoked because the locals weren't running it up to Western standards ( For example, fileing artists under their first names!).

They were sold to CD Warehouse which - I guess - is better than nothing but sucks compared to Tower Records.

Every time I visited Tower there were so many unusual titles that I would spend over 10,000 baht. At CD Warehouse, I am lucky to spend 500 baht and I only go every few months. :o

There was a Tower Records in Bangkok for several years but the franchise was revoked because the locals weren't running it up to Western standards ( For example, fileing artists under their first names!).

I highly doubt that is the reason the CD Warehouse stores no longer operate under the Tower Records name. The still-operating Tower branches in both Malaysia and Singapore use that same system for filing discs. My understanding was that the Thai franchisee no longer wanted to pony up the annual fee (or whatever) to keep the Tower name. They thought they could make a go of it alone and thus was born CD Warehouse.

Anyone out  there can recomend the best source of falang music cds in chiang mai??  tower reords would be too much to ask, but any other shops that would have a decent selection of 'non mainstream' music.  i've been living i the CM area for 6 yrs now and the best selection i've found is the night bizaar bootleggers.

Have you tried CD Green? The shop is located between the gas station and Amazing Sandwich on Phra Pokklao Road. He also deals in high end stereo equipment as well as quality imported wines.

Neo Entertainment gallery, fourth floor of Airport Plaza stocks some Western CDs. They are also willing to order for you.

As well there are several places at kaad saan kaw with a good range of western music. Beware of farung owned music/book shops in Chiang Mai. With the exception of the Chiang Mai Saloon and the Mango Tree (Both personal favourites) I've found the prices to be somewhat inflated.

cv

I highly doubt that is the reason the CD Warehouse stores no longer operate under the Tower Records name. The still-operating Tower branches in both Malaysia and Singapore use that same system for filing discs. My understanding was that the Thai franchisee no longer wanted to pony up the annual fee (or whatever) to keep the Tower name. They thought they could make a go of it alone and thus was born CD Warehouse.

CD Warehouse is also an American franchise.

Although it is possible that the franchise fees are lower, the selection bites.

You get what you pay for!

Neo Entertainment gallery, fourth floor of Airport Plaza stocks some Western CDs. They are also willing to order for you.

As well there are several places at kaad saan kaw with a good range of western music. Beware of farung owned music/book shops in Chiang Mai. With the exception of the Chiang Mai Saloon and the Mango Tree (Both personal favourites) I've found the prices to be somewhat inflated.

cv

The Chiang Mai Saloon and Mango Tree are restaurants, not music/book shops. :o

As far as music/book shops go, again, you get what you pay for.

The farang shops have selections that are a million times better than any simular Thai enterprise and it is quite expensive to import and pay duty on quality titles/CDs and that is where their excellent second-hand and new stock is coming from.

We are quite lucky to have the best selection of books in any country in this region. :D

CD Warehouse is also an American franchise.

Although it is possible that the franchise fees are lower, the selection bites.

Just looked 'em up on the Web. Never knew that CD Warehouse was an Amercan-based chain. Never even seen one of their stores in the States!

cv

The Chiang Mai Saloon and Mango Tree are restaurants, not music/book shops. :o

As far as music/book shops go, again, you get what you pay for.

The farang shops have selections that are a million times better than any simular Thai enterprise and it is quite expensive to import and pay duty on quality titles/CDs and that is where their excellent second-hand and new stock is coming from.

We are quite lucky to have the best selection of books in any country in this region. :D

I should have made that clearer, I was talking about farung owned businesses in general. I personally find the used book shops in CM to be terribly overpriced.

cv

I personally find the used book shops in CM to be terribly overpriced.

Really? :o

They are much less expensive than Bangkok and other places in SEA and have the best selection anywhere in this area. In fact, they have better selections than many second-hand bookstores in Western countries.

Also, I find them much cheaper than used bookshops in Australia (real book shops, not charity shops). - which is full of tons of native speakers of English so they don't have to import their stock.

Actually, I just remember how terrible bookshops in CM were until 5 or 6 years ago and am grateful that we have them at all.

I'm quite willing to pay for top quality books when I know that most of them have to be imported from Western countries. :D

I agree with JUDGE that actually THERE ARE NO CD SHOPS in Thailand at all. the CD warehouse in Pattaya is too pathetic and poor to even mention it here, the CD warehouse at Emporium is small and does just have the basics, no unusual titles at all, but as already stated here, its better than nothing.... sometimes I buy 3 or 4 CDs when I am there.... the only option to really go CD SHOPPING is to get a cheap flight by TIGER (9,99 SG-Dollers at the moment) or AIRASIA (start 999 Baht plus TAX) and head to Singapore and fall for a CD-SHOPPING-DELIRIUM (bought 24 CDs when I was there in late August) at HMV MEGASTORE there. 3 floors, about 10 times the size of the Bangkok CD warehouse..... and a HUGE selection really, even Indi /Alternative stuff.... and as a record-collector who once owned 4000 LPs/CDs and worked for the music business, I know what I am talking about..... this shop at SG is highly recommended and actually the only OASIS in South-East-Asia, though even KL is still a much much better place than Bangkok (not only for CDs, but thats another story :o )

I had figured that to be the case after 6 yrs in CM and finding te best selection to be at the nightbazaar's bootleg cd's........actually a decet selection from the 'sharks'. but i was just hopig for some little hidden nook that specialized i falang cds. i guess i'll have to continue to rely on friends comming over with fresh music. that way, i apprecate it more...........

• 8 months later...
I'd like to know where to find some music, too (other than via Amazon.com).

Any change to the situation as described above ?

Maybe we, CM members, could trade music.

Each member posts a list of what he,she has got. Interested members can order copies from people's lists (that he,she will pay or trade against other copies).

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Each member posts a list of what he,she has got. Interested members can order copies from people's lists (that he,she will pay or trade against other copies).

Good idea and a good way to introduce eachother to new music.

Each member posts a list of what he,she has got. Interested members can order copies from people's lists (that he,she will trade against other copies).

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Could it be possible to move this thread to a more visible spot, dear mods ?