Bait Presentation

robblok

I used to fish a lot in Holland and the thinner the line and the smaller the hook the more fish i caught. (if it did not break). However here in Thailand people seem to think that the mekong are not wary of line thickness or line concealment.

I always try to fish with a line as thin as possible, at BSR its a thicker line then elsewhere because of the pier and snags. However at shadow i can go thinner and i can try line concealment and rigs.

But i can't really say that it works good or not because its hard to compare. I like shadow because there i can tinker a bit with bait and line presentation (ledgering is the preferred method there while that wont work at BSR). So at shadow you can try stuff like bolt rigs. The thing is shadow is a hard lake and so its hard to gauge if things work or not because day to day can be so different.

So i like the opinion of others about the effect of thinner lines and smaller hooks. I know one of my friends is of the opinion there is absolutely no need for it.

I used 80 pound Dacron at Shadow lake and it did no make a difference. I normally use tough line that is a fraction the size of Dacron. The fish here mainly key on scent and also the water isn't clear, so for the fish here it makes no difference. For lake fishing for trout or steelhead fishing, it definitely makes a difference in presentation.

Thanh

I used 80 pound Dacron at Shadow lake and it did no make a difference. I normally use tough line that is a fraction the size of Dacron. The fish here mainly key on scent and also the water isn't clear, so for the fish here it makes no difference. For lake fishing for trout or steelhead fishing, it definitely makes a difference in presentation.

Thanh

To be honest i have seen it make a difference in shadow. Thinner lines did catch more sawai then ticker lines (i tried that did not try it for the bugs yet)

Light tackle is all about bait presentation so I think it makes a big difference when using lures, but am not so sure about baitfishing.

In some ponds at Pilot 111, finesse fishing for Barramundi has started to come into fashion with guys using very light setups with 4lb line and texas rigged soft baits and the like, due in part to the pressure on some of the ponds, and it certainly seems to produce more hookups. Guys using bigger baits and heavier tackle are not catching as much.

But when the bait that you are presenting is a basically a hulking great softball of lum which just sits/floats there and disperses, what aspect of the presentation do you think could be improved with a lighter rig?

Light tackle is all about bait presentation so I think it makes a big difference when using lures, but am not so sure about baitfishing.

In some ponds at Pilot 111, finesse fishing for Barramundi has started to come into fashion with guys using very light setups with 4lb line and texas rigged soft baits and the like, due in part to the pressure on some of the ponds, and it certainly seems to produce more hookups. Guys using bigger baits and heavier tackle are not catching as much.

But when the bait that you are presenting is a basically a hulking great softball of lum which just sits/floats there and disperses, what aspect of the presentation do you think could be improved with a lighter rig?

Im not using lam... im using the massage bread. So i think the whole hooklink / line bottom presentation could be improved.

I doubt there is much to be done with lam.. maybe the hook link nicely on the bottom other then that nothing.

• 1 month later...

where i normally fish for catfish , one time i tried a waggler type float, shotted and 4 lb line and a size 20 hook i used chopped worm to feed and worm on the hook. (as i would do when fishing in the uk..) to my suprise for about 4 hours i caught nothing but indian carp all around 3-4 lb .. it was lovely i must try it again i would never have caught these using the bread ball lol..

• Like 1

Hi Robblok, we met few weeks ago at Shadow lake.

Have you got the rod stand yet? and How ya doing!!

For the line stuff, I do believe that the thinner the better you ll get the

fish bite "BUT" that s not guaranteed if you ll be able to

land the fish. So, most peoples tend to use the thick line better

than the small one as it has no point to have your reel screaming but

get nothing at the end, right?

This Saturday, me and my close friends will fish at Shadow from dawn till dusk

do not know if you wanna join?

Hi Robblok, we met few weeks ago at Shadow lake.

Have you got the rod stand yet? and How ya doing!!

For the line stuff, I do believe that the thinner the better you ll get the

fish bite "BUT" that s not guaranteed if you ll be able to

land the fish. So, most peoples tend to use the thick line better

than the small one as it has no point to have your reel screaming but

get nothing at the end, right?

This Saturday, me and my close friends will fish at Shadow from dawn till dusk

do not know if you wanna join?

Hi good to see you here now. You are right its always a trade off between line thickness and the ability to land the fish.

Im not sure ill fish this saturday i usually dont go during weekends. My gf just called them about the rod stand. It is not done yet. I will let you know about saturday. But i dont think so.