Value Of Rare Thai Book

paulsenp

Around 25 years ago I bought a book for my wife from a second-hand bookshop here in Denmark. From the pictures I could see that it was about thai antiques. It was good quality paper and print, and that was just about all I knew about it. The price was a little less than 500 baht at the present rate of exchange.

Then, about 10 years ago, my wife saw the same book mentioned in a thai magazine. It seems like the book was printed in Paris in the thirties and that the number printed was only 250. Of those, the existence of only 11 was known (12 including my wifes). The appraised value at that time was 50.000 baht.

And now to my questions. Where (in Bangkok, or even in other parts of Thailand) could you take such a book for an appraisal, and where would you go if you wanted to sell it? How would you find potential buyers?

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

For decades there was a book dealer here operating under the name of White Lotus Books. They moved several times and I lost track of them, but the owner -- German, as I recall -- was always 'the man' when it came to the sort of thing you are asking about. I'm sorry I don't a specific location for White Lotus anymore, but do try to track the place down. That's exactly the guy you need.

There's an old map seller on the 4th floor of River City Complex, he has or used to have many old books about Thailand and knows their value.

Also in 1999 and 2000 there have been auctions of Thai books at Christie's Bangkok.

I still have the catalogues and sales results so if u give the title I can look it up.

Otherwise you can consult the catalogues at Christie's (Peninsula Plaza , next to Hyatt Erawan, Mon-Fri 10-6). Auction codes were SIAM-9991 and SIAM-7201.

The sales results on their website give only lotnumber and price attained, not lot names.

Thank you all guys for the hints you have given. I will try to dig a little deeper.

To orchis in particular, the title of the book is:

โบราณวัตถุ

ใน

พิพิธภัณฑสถานสำหรับพระนคร

It would be great if you can find the book in one of the old catalogues, but don't spend too much time on it.

For decades there was a book dealer here operating under the name of White Lotus Books. They moved several times and I lost track of them, but the owner -- German, as I recall -- was always 'the man' when it came to the sort of thing you are asking about. I'm sorry I don't a specific location for White Lotus anymore, but do try to track the place down. That's exactly the guy you need.

Dieter Ande

Telephone 038-239884

I saw him 2 weeks ago at the Book Fair. He's just moved from Sukhumvit 58 to a place just outside of Pattaya.

Dieter Ande

Telephone 038-239884

I saw him 2 weeks ago at the Book Fair. He's just moved from Sukhumvit 58 to a place just outside of Pattaya.

Thanks for that from me, too. But as for White Lotus now being in Pattaya, well.......

If you need that book. should to post the cover page or name of that book on website follows:

www.pantip.com

www.sanook.com

www.hunsa.com

All big thai websites can help you to find that book( the have group of sale-buy web-board in any for free)..>very easy. Or if you have time go to Jatujark Market.. in old book area shopping. You can dind it also bcoz they have an old-book organization seller.

Anyway, book fair can't help u bcoz just new books in that fair.

What is the BOOK u mention?

Hi Orchidexpert,

I have the book and just want to find out what it is worth these days.

I am already in contact with Diethard Ande, mentioned in one of the previous posts, and although he claims not to be an expert on thai books, it seems like he will be able to help.

The book is about items (statues etc) from the temple in the compund of the National Museum in Bangkok.

Hi Endure,

The advice I got from Diethard Ande was to go to see the dealers at the weekend market and to visit the next Bangkok Book Fair. Most of the dealers do not have shops in town he says. My book is in thai, and he says that he is not an expert on that, but he suggested that I give him a call when I come to Bangkok.

If your book is in english it might be an idea to call Diethard Ande or to send him a mail.

His phonenumber is 038 239 883-4, and his mail address is: [email protected]