It'S Not Easy Being A St Bernard In Balmy Bangkok: Mighty Milo Struggles In The Heat

Spare a thought for Milo, the two-foot tall St.Bernard struggling to cope in the heat.

While the St.Bernard originates from the Swiss Alps and was initially bred as a rescue dog, Milo resides in Bangkok, Thailand, where he doesn't really have need of such a warm coat.

The sweltering heats of 33C yesterday were taking their toll on the pooch, who was spotted out padding the streets for a walk with his owner.

article-2013945-0CF92F0000000578-328_634x871.jpg Walkabout: Milo on the march during his daily stroll

article-2013945-0CF9231700000578-557_634x821.jpg Full stretch: Milo displays his impressive tongue

He looked desperate for a drink of water, but was able at least to use his mighty tongue to regulate his body temperature.

As all children learn, dogs' tongues becomes larger during exercise because of increased blood flow and tend to hang out of the mouth.

Thus, when a dog pants, its quick shallow breaths cause moisture on the tongue to evaporate - thus cooling the entire body.

article-2013945-0CF92EF800000578-419_634x481.jpg Tongue tied: Milo, the St Bernard, walks the streets of Bangkok, Thailand with his owner

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013945/Milo-St-Bernard-Bangkok-large-tongue.html#ixzz1RxmWKZMV

could this topic be moved to pets forum,i to own a dog with a double coat.[alaskan malamute] i feel so sorry for him,we have a pool so he can have a dip,large fan on all day and night,cold flannel wipes,iced water,but only exercise him 6am/7pm.

i couldnt coment not knowing if the dog was born here or brought to thailand,ours was born here and we saved his life to which he his repaying us,but breeders should be banned breeding these dogs with thick coats,but we all see every day how dogs are treated in los.

We went to see the Thai family back in May this year, My mother in-law works in a Hospital In Sahmut Sahkon , A doctor there asked me how do you take care of a Husky dog,He had paid to bring it back from Canada with him to live in Thailand, All i could say was make certain that the dog had Air condition in its kennel, I just could not understand how an Educated man could bring a dog like that back to a Hot country without first think about its welfare.

We went to see the Thai family back in May this year, My mother in-law works in a Hospital In Sahmut Sahkon , A doctor there asked me how do you take care of a Husky dog,He had paid to bring it back from Canada with him to live in Thailand, All i could say was make certain that the dog had Air condition in its kennel, I just could not understand how an Educated man could bring a dog like that back to a Hot country without first think about its welfare.

You appear to be assuming that because he is a Xxxx doctor, he is educated. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

You appear to be assuming that because he is a Xxxx doctor, he is educated. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

this owner did not do any homework on keeping a husky in thailand,but now it is here he needs to be educated on looking after the dog the best he can,an air con.kennel wont be much use as they are an outside lover,did you ever see a film shot in the north/south pole where the team was taken inside,read all my posts they should help,if you need more info i will let you now what i can.or pm me. as the owner of milo has not responded to any of the posts i asume he must be an attension seeker with no thought for the poor dog.

dear milo next time you take your owner out for a walk could you dress him acordingly,2sweaters,long trousers,woollen socks and a nice pair of shoes and let him carry an overcoat in case it gets a bit chilli,and dont forget 20baht to buy him an icecream.

• 9 years later...

There are many pet owners in Thailand who own dogs of the Husky family and it defies logic for the owners say they fare well in this humid hot weather! They say they avoid direct sun, keep the dogs in the shade and the Aircon whenever possible! I've seen a couple of Huskies since and they don't appear to be unhappy and are playful! They definitely fare better then a StBernard whom obviously cannot tolerate this heat!9

Milo's not the only St. Bernard to have problems.  One had to be stretchered down England's tallest mountain.  A bit embarrassing for their reputation as a breed of rescue dogs.

1497.jpg?width=1920&quality=85&auto=form

St Bernard dog rescued after collapsing on England's highest peak - Team of 16 volunteers carried Daisy off Scafell Pike on a stretcher during five-hour operation

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/26/st-bernard-dog-rescued-after-collapsing-on-scafell-pike