Stube Breakfast Club

Johpa

The thin old farang fellow and the long-haired Thai man who have been eating breakfast out front for at least the last 15 years are still there almost every day.

Saw them splurging in air-conditioned comfort one day at JJs last week though. :o

Jopha,

About a month ago it was posted here that Old Man Ed and One Armed John had both passed away -- within a month or two of each other.

Definitely the passing of an and era in Chiang Mai expat circles.

Yes, that is what I heard, that Ed and John had both passed away and perhaps my memory simply failed me from earlier posts. They were both very long time acquaintances who befriended myself, and later my wife and kids. Ed had to be one of the longest surviving ex-pats in Chiang Mai, a real country gentleman. And John was just as kind and generous to my family.

I will pour a glass of Mae Khong tonight and toast thier memories.

Ed's passing definitely breaks one of the last connections between dinosaurs like myself, and those who have been around even before the dinosaurs. I read the ex-pat newspapers online today and I think the ex-pat community in Chiang Mai reminds me more of colonial India filled with wealthy memsahibs and their husbands whilst their kids are educated in English language schools that this white boy could never afford for his children's education. My son is more akin to Kipling's Kim than to the Prem students.

So who are the ex-pats with the longest history in Chiang Mai these days? There are a few old time missionary familes who go back now several generations but who travel in circles other than those I and my acquaintances travel. I only met them once at the 4th of July party at the US Consulate back in 1983, the only time I was ever introduced to the governor of Chiang Mai over a Budweiser and hot dog. There is John at AUA and Mr. GT-Rider, both around for nearly 30 years. I certainly don't count as I have long been only a visiting dinosaur since the early 1990s.

So who are the ex-pats with the longest history in Chiang Mai these days?  There are a few old time missionary familes who go back now several generations but who travel in circles other than those I and my acquaintances travel.  I only met them once at the 4th of July party at the US Consulate back in 1983, the only time I was ever introduced to the governor of Chiang Mai over a Budweiser and hot dog.  There is John at AUA and Mr. GT-Rider, both around for nearly 30 years. I certainly don't count as I have long been only a visiting dinosaur since the early 1990s.

I got here in 1991.

I think Richard from the used bookshop got here perhaps 10 years before me.

I too knew both Ed and John fairly well. Crusty old basta*ds with hearts of gold...