Loy Krathong Festival On November 16th

Jai Dee

BANGKOK GOVERNOR TO ORGANIZE SAFETY LOY KRATHONG FESTIVAL

Bangkok Governor Aphirak Kosayothin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) talked about the forthcoming Loy Krathong Festival November 16th. He said the capital city has organized the festival at two major spots. One of them will be under Rama 8th Bridge, while the other will be held at Santichaiprakarn (สันติชัยปราการ) Park. 18 parks in the capital will also be opened for the Bangkokians to float their baskets.

There will be inspection on fireworks since they are prohibited. The Bangkok Governor has also encouraged people to float the baskets made of natural materials instead of Styrofoam.

He has assigned all the related departments together with the officials of the Ministry of Transport's Marine Department to inspect all piers along Chao Phraya River.

Mr. Aphirak has urged people to regard Thai culture and tradition during the festival.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันเสาร์ที่ 22 ตุลาคม 2548

The chitty Klong near my apt... well hey, it's not near the Marriot but my boat just might float by there with a bit o luck :o

Put something recognizable on your khrathong (like a purple note) and I'll keep and eye out for it. I wonder what the hotel staff would do if I jump in the water to collect money from all the khrathongs

No styrofoam!

BMA calls for nature-friendly Loy Kratong

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Friday asked the public to float only bio-degradeable 'kratongs'--platforms of flowers, candles and incense to carry away the failed past--made of natural materials at public parks in Bangkok and will inspect piers along the Chao Phraya River to ensure safety standards prior to the famous Loy Kratong festival in the middle of next month.

To protect the environment, Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin said during the forthcoming Loy Kratong festival only 'kratongs' made of naturally bio-degradeable materials, such as banana or similar plant leaves and stems, can be floated in waters within parks under the BMA care.

'Kratongs' must easily disintegrate, said the governor, not like styrofoam.

But he said the BMA would allow some places to float kratongs made from the plastic foam or other artificial materials where they can be easily collected and destroyed later.

To ensure the safety of Loy Krathong riverside celebrants, Mr. Apirak said that next week the BMA, in cooperation with metropolitan police forces and officials of the Ministry of Transport's Marine Department, would inspect piers along the Chao Phraya River.

If any are found unsafe for big crowds, they must be upgraded to meet the safety standards.

Referring to limits to using fireworks during the festival, he said, a special BMA task force would inspect fireworks shops and factories to see whether they are legally operating or not. Violators will face legal action.

Meanwhile, the BMA will launch a public relations campaign warning the public of the danger of fireworks.

According to BMA authorities, the city will open all its parks except Suan Luang Rama IX and Queen Sirikit Park, adjacent to the famous Chatuchak Weekend Market, for the public to celebrate the Loy Kratong festival on November 16 from 6:00 p.m. until midnight.

--TNA 2005-10-22