The Unofficial Marriage Visa?

Hi there

I'm living in Thailand on a tourist visa, I had a double entry tourist visa and I have now extended each one by 30 days and I'm now coming to the end of the final extension, and therefore need to start thinking about the best visa to get to continue my stay.

My wife is Thai and we married back in the UK, with a ceremony in Thailand. Unfortunately, I do no have a spare 400,000 baht to apply for a Visa based on marriage, or the necessary proof of income. I understand that if I go KL for the visa I need only 100,000 baht which I could probably just about afford, but when I come to extend this visa in Thailand, I would again be faced with having to have 400,000 baht in my bank account? Is this correct?

However, I recently found a thread on this site which said the following:

It's so common that it's nick named 'The Unofficial Marriage VIsa'. Do a border run, for even a 15 day stamp and can extend it for 60 days. Then can repeat the process again and again and again if so wished. People who don't want money tied up in useless local bank accounts, don't have verifiable income, or just don't have the money have been doing it for years, no problem.

Please can anyone confirm if it is still possible to do the above? I'm hoping it is as it seems to be by far the easiest option at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Jono :D

It will depend on the local immigration office but you should be able to get at least one 60 day extension of stay. Some are setting a total limit of 4 or some other figure (per year) but others are not.

The multi entry non immigrant O visa allows unlimited stays of up to 90 days each so most people would do a border crossing and return for a new 90 day stay if they can not afford extension of stay.

from my understanding, the 60 day extension in a one time deal... it can not be used back to back indefinitely.

Once the 60 days is up, you would either need to go overseas to get a new visa or be able to meet the requirements for a 1 yr extension at immigration

Edited by CWMcMurray

It can never be back to back but the number of times it can be used is also subject to local office. Some will provide without limit if you have another entry between each - others will limit. The old regulation said "one time" but never defined if that was per entry or per year or per passport or what. That word was removed in current police order.

It will depend on the local immigration office but you should be able to get at least one 60 day extension of stay. Some are setting a total limit of 4 or some other figure (per year) but others are not.

The multi entry non immigrant O visa allows unlimited stays of up to 90 days each so most people would do a border crossing and return for a new 90 day stay if they can not afford extension of stay.

Thanks for all your replies.

Lopburi - Is the above visa you're referring to something different to the Tourist Visa or Non Immigration O Visa based on marriage? Sorry, but I'm a bit confused as to what visa this is?

Thanks again

The multi entry non immigrant O is a visa issued by a Consulate and is valid for unlimited entry for up to 90 days each time for a period of one year.

The single entry non immigrant O visa provides one entry of up to 90 days.

Both can be issued for reason of having a Thai spouse. Either stay can be extended for 60 days or one year by meeting requirements.

The 60 day extension of stay is issued by Immigration to extend current stay to visit wife or child. Requirement is marriage/child proof

The one year extension of stay for marriage is issued by Immigration for a one year extension of current stay and can be continued on a yearly basis. Requirement is 400k/40k financial and marriage proof.

What I was talking about were both the 60 day extension and the one year multi entry visa in the above quote.

The multi entry non immigrant O is a visa issued by a Consulate and is valid for unlimited entry for up to 90 days each time for a period of one year.

The single entry non immigrant O visa provides one entry of up to 90 days.

Both can be issued for reason of having a Thai spouse. Either stay can be extended for 60 days or one year by meeting requirements.

The 60 day extension of stay is issued by Immigration to extend current stay to visit wife or child. Requirement is marriage/child proof

The one year extension of stay for marriage is issued by Immigration for a one year extension of current stay and can be continued on a yearly basis. Requirement is 400k/40k financial and marriage proof.

What I was talking about were both the 60 day extension and the one year multi entry visa in the above quote.

OK, got it now. Thanks for the clear explanation. :D

If you can afford it, why not attempt to qualify for non-"B" or non-"ED" visa? Or even non-O? (multiple-entry) Then each entry stamp gives you 90 days, can give you up to 15 months depending on how quickly you use visa once issued.