World Class Hamburger Review

Finlaco

My thoughts for what their worth:-

I had a stopover Chiang Rai on Friday last (July 15) and decided to try out the World Class Hamburger (main road near to the bus station). I opted for the basic non cheese topped burger ฿125. The ฿45 add-on had the option of double chips or chips/coleslaw. I chose poorly and the coleslaw is best avoided. The chips were extremely good, fat and crinkle and thankfully not McDonald French Fries.

I really enjoyed the outdoor setting on the top floor and whilst the staff have close to zero training, they did try their best. I ordered a large Leo and was brought an already opened small Leo as they were out of the large one. Since the staff were polite I let it go.

The burger: - I like my burger to taste of ground beef and the bun toasted. This one taste of barbecue sauce and that was it. I'd say that a Burger King has a more meaty taste (and I eat BK once a year). The bun wasn't toasted.

Can anyone recommend a good meaty tasting joint in or close to central Chiang Rai with real fat crinkle chips and a hamburger that tastes of ground beef.

Thanks

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't say about the fries, other than the ones my wife makes. She cook fries "skin on" and does it proper. Best fries in CR.

A good burger. Hmmm......... Nice Kitchen on Jetyod has a decent one and it is consistent. Never changes; what you get this time is what you get every time. It isn't a great American burger but it is decent. He is going to put green bell peppers on it, so if you don't want those, just tell him and he will leave them off. I have gotten used to them. His fries are pretty much the standard fries for CR.

The very best burger I have had in CR was at Barry's WCH. That was on my second trip to the place, after having a disastrous burger event the first time there and saying I would NEVER go back. A friend talked me into trying it again, saying that, sometimes, the burgers are great. The burger on the second trip was great. The next two tries were complete misses, again, and that is the end of it for me.

If you're in town and can cook out, the burgers at Sausage King in CR (several varieties of burger there) are consistent and pretty good. I don't know any cafe in town that cooks and sells them, ready to eat. If you're in town, can't cook out and want to try one, give me a couple of day's warning and you can get one at my place, along with a large serving of the best french fries in CR. I only need the warning notice because I'll have to hunt down some decent buns. And yes, they will be grilled buns.

Edited by kandahar

For those who visit Chiang Rai and can take a little time away from Jet Yod Road I suggest that you try Don's Cafe a waterfront cafe in Doi Hang just 6 km west of the center of the city. Not only are there true American Burgers that are made in the Don's Foods Factory in Bangkok plus a great selection of international foods including the best Thai steaks available. You won't complain about these burgers or steaks.

6 km Don.... ? B)

Agree your burgers are good though, I took a visiting member and his wife out there earlier this year and both gave them the thumbs up.

I keep meaning to try one but always end up ordering the tacos.

From the clock tower to Don's is closer to 10 km or slightly less.

I have tried to find that place twice with no success. On the second trip, I found two Farang locals in that general area and asked them about it. Neither knew of a place that serves burgers. I was in the Bandu area at the time. Maybe I am looking in the wrong area.

Edited by kandahar

Either cook the burgers yourself or go to McDonalds at Central Plaza where it is consistantly Soi Meal Patties.

Over 20 Billion Soi Meal Buggers Served.

Yes Barry needs to work on things. Especilly Staff training and making his menu more concise so easier for ordering exactly what you want by numbers so staff Can't Get It Wrong

You need to order specific. Barry's WCH is known to use BBQ sauce on the burgers. Buns are usually toasted, but make sure you order the bun toasted and no sauce.

Barry used to make Great Cole Slaw, but has goetten skimpy on it and his lettuce, tomato and onion since opening away from the old airport Air Force Golf.

Just as in any family run type restaurants, some things are done automatic like the BBQ sauce. Most like it, but a few don't. So if you don't know beforehand, you will know how the burger comes the next time.

This is not in defence of Barry, but how food is done at virtually all privately owned non-chain restaurants world wide.

I will say that the hamburger itself that is used is a good quality mix of beef that is done specifically for the WCH.

Either cook the burgers yourself or go to McDonalds at Central Plaza where it is consistantly Soi Meal Patties.

Yes Barry needs to work on things. Especilly Staff training and making his menu more concise so easier for ordering exactly what you want by numbers so staff Can't Get It Wrong

You need to order specific. Barry's WCH is known to use BBQ sauce on the burgers. Buns are usually toasted, but make sure you order the bun toasted and no sauce.

Barry used to make Great Cole Slaw, but has goetten skimpy on it and his lettuce, tomato and onion since opening away from the old airport Air Force Golf.

Just as in any family run type restaurants, some things are done automatic like the BBQ sauce. Most like it, but a few don't. So if you don't know beforehand, you will know how the burger comes the next time.

This is not in defence of Barry, but how food is done at virtually all privately owned non-chain restaurants world wide.

I will say that the hamburger itself that is used is a good quality mix of beef that is done specifically for the WCH.

Who are you talking to?

I don't think anyone on here takes marching orders from you, so why are you giving them?

If I want to eat out, I will. If I want to eat at home, I will. If I have a bad meal at either place, I'll post about it if I want to. If I have a good meal at either place, I'll post about it if I want to.

What makes you think you have the right to give orders to anyone who didn't have a good experience, any where, any time, with any thing?

You like certain places? Good. Spend your money there. Nobody is stopping you nor asking you not to nor telling you not to. Why don't you try some of that same behavior in your postings?

Better yet, why don't you just grow a little moustache and try to take over the whole world? I believe you have the personality for it.

Edited by kandahar

Who are you talking to?

I don't think anyone on here takes marching orders from you, so why are you giving them?

If I want to eat out, I will. If I want to eat at home, I will. If I have a bad meal at either place, I'll post about it if I want to. If I have a good meal at either place, I'll post about it if I want to.

What makes you think you have the right to give orders to anyone who didn't have a good experience, any where, any time, with any thing?

You like certain places? Good. Spend your money there. Nobody is stopping you nor asking you not to nor telling you not to. Why don't you try some of that same behavior in your postings?

Better yet, why don't you just grow a little moustache and try to take over the whole world? I believe you have the personality for it.

Are you angry? :huh:

What is a "Soi Meal Patties"?:ermm:

Maybe he's trying to say McDonalds use 'Soya' instead of Beef. !? ......

or is he saying its beef from the street !? :huh:

it would certainly be a world revalation if they did :D

Jeez, you guys certainly take your Burgers Seriously :D

Don's Cafe

Advertising or .....?

Yes, it is advertising. He has a place not too far out in the country. If you go visit the hot springs upriver from CR, you will go past his place. He has a sign near the road if you're looking for the place on your way up. Popular place with some of the locals.

I have tried to find that place twice with no success. On the second trip, I found two Farang locals in that general area and asked them about it. Neither knew of a place that serves burgers. I was in the Bandu area at the time. Maybe I am looking in the wrong area.

Its past Bandu.Ive been there twice.On the way back from Mai Sai its on the left...It really is a very good place to eat and extremely good value. Easily the best Burger around here for me anyway..85 baht with cheese, chips and coleslaw...I would even think its slightly over a quarter pound but maybe it looks like that because its home made....they have Italian food as well...

Okay. So, coming from Mae Sai, it is before Bandu and is on the left. Big sign in front, or no?

jai yen, jai yen...

I have only recently mastered the words for the denominations and combinations of the Thai baht. I am not ready to start with the yen. But it is a very nice offer. No plans to visit Japan in the near future.

Edited by kandahar

jai yen, jai yen...

I have only recently mastered the words for the denominations and combinations of the Thai baht. I am not ready to start with the yen. But it is a very nice offer. No plans to visit Japan in the near future.

Cool heart?:ermm:

jai yen, jai yen...

Cool heart?:ermm:

Huh?

Its what Thais say when they want to get away with shit B)

Oh. And here I thought I was getting an invite to tour Japan with Scea. I hear they have good burgers there. Kobe beef and all that. I have no idea how many yen one costs but I guess it is NOT jai yen.

So, what is scorpio trying to get away with? He isn't the one feeding the chicken poop to the fish, is he?

Don't know but it can only be muttered by a Guy wearing a Sarong or Pakama :D

So, what is scorpio trying to get away with? He isn't the one feeding the chicken poop to the fish, is he?

Don't know but it can only be muttered by a Guy wearing a Sarong or Pakama :D

You have miss-spelled song and pajamas.

Its past Bandu.Ive been there twice.On the way back from Mai Sai its on the left...It really is a very good place to eat and extremely good value. Easily the best Burger around here for me anyway..85 baht with cheese, chips and coleslaw...I would even think its slightly over a quarter pound but maybe it looks like that because its home made....they have Italian food as well...

Okay. So, coming from Mae Sai, it is before Bandu and is on the left. Big sign in front, or no?

I think it could be Companion Coffee shop, if not then it is also worth a visit as they do a great burger but it doesn't come with fries although you can order those as a side order.

Heading north from CR go past Bandu market and it is about 100mtrs on your left side directly opposite a 7/11. The coffee there is also very nice. It is small and has a green sign I think.

But some of the burger afficionados may be disappointed as there is usually only chicken or pork burgers, no beef.

I'm not sure that is the place that David is talking about. I think he is talking about one that is on the left coming from Mae Sai. Personally, I would not seek out a chicken or pork burger but we will stop at Companion soon and test the coffee. Thanks for the directions.

WOW !

A bit over the top response to some suggestions of how to get receive a decent burger at WCH.

Hardly Marching Orders.

Agreed that some may not like the place, but no need for a response in the manner that was posted.

And yes Soi Meal Burgers could also mean Soi whatever Meat.

Or Soya.

Who are you talking to?

Edited by KimoMax

WOW !

A bit over the top response to some suggestions of how to get receive a decent burger at WCH.

Hardly Marching Orders.

Agreed that some may not like the place, but no need for a response in the manner that was posted.

And yes Soi Meal Burgers could also mean Soi whatever Meat.

Or Soya.

Who are you talking to?

Okay. My sincere apology is extended to you.

Soi meal burgers would just about have to be a dog meat combo in this country.

Soy-meal (from the soybean) is another matter.