Toyota Fortuner

scottie

Hi Everyone,

Well we're finally living in LOS after years of planning!!

Got to get transport, computer & many other things. So apologies if I don't reply for a few days as relying on transport from friend. No internet cafe within walking distance!

Went to a Toyota dealer in city (near airport?!) We fancy a Fortuner, apparently a 3 month waiting list! Also they were non negotiable on price :o

So anyone know of a used model? I know they've only been out a few months though.

Also anyone know anything about them? Fella from another place (who didn't have one admittedly!), said that Fortuner no good in mountains as only permanent 4wd

& 1 ratio.

Any advice/help much appreciated.

Thanks

Scottie

Hi Everyone,

Well we're finally living in LOS after years of planning!!

Got to get transport, computer & many other things. So apologies if I don't reply for a few days as relying on transport from friend. No internet cafe within walking distance!

Went to a Toyota dealer in city (near airport?!) We fancy a Fortuner, apparently a 3 month waiting list! Also they were non negotiable on price  :o

So anyone know of a used model? I know they've only been out a few months though.

Also anyone know anything about them? Fella from another place (who didn't have one admittedly!), said that Fortuner no good in mountains as only permanent 4wd

& 1 ratio.

Any advice/help much appreciated.

Thanks

Scottie

The Fortuner has a permanent 4 wheel drive but has a separate transmission shift stick. 3 position - 4 High, 4 High centre differential locked and 4 Low centre differential locked so it certainly has more than one ratio; it has High and Low.

The only preowned cars you are likley to see at this early stage in the life of the model, is the gasoline engine version 2.7 four cylinder which is thirstier than the diesel especially if you are climbing hills all day as a matter of daily driving. I'm on the flat (BKK and Prachuap Khirikhan) and managed to reach the Toyota claimed figure of 10 km/litre at 17500 kms (gasoline version). Now I am over 21k. I like this car a lot.

I suggest that you go back to the Toyota agent and set up a test drive. All the main agents have test models. You will almost certainly be better off with the diesel version (V model is AUTO and G model is MANUAL) in the Chiengmai area but, there is a long waiting list. Three months seems a dream. The Thai Toyota plant is working flat out to meet orders for export as well as domestic sales. My agent told me last week that 8 to 9 months wait was realistic for a diesel.

Many thanks PTE,

Thats put my mind at rest. Obviously didn't want to buy & then find to be disappointing.

You're spot on the used one offered was petrol, do think I'd prefer diesel.

I'll go back & look into each specific model as we were only told about auto.

Thanks again.

Scottie

I got mine Fortuna 2.7 from the Niyom Phanich which is near the airport. I waited for only 3 weeks, however, the diesel version will have to wait longer for sure. I drove mine uphill many times, and find that the engine power was more than sufficient for steep slope and bend. :o

Still interested?? :o

Furious motorist smashes Toyota

Preecha Santijirakul, 34, an engineer, places a wreath on the shattered windscreen of his Toyota Fortuner sports utility vehicle. He smashed the windscreen with a hammer yesterday after becoming enraged at the car maker's failure to fix a problem with the brake system. — SAROT MEKSOPHAWANNAKUL

POST REPORTERS

A furious engineer smashed the windshield of his new Toyota Fortuner sports utility vehicle with a hammer and set fire to its brake disc and brake pad in protest at what he said was the dealer's failure to fix the car's defective brake system. Preecha Santijirakul, 34, yesterday drove his vehicle to the Toyota Libra showroom on Kaset-Nawamin road where he bought it five months ago.

He parked in front of the showroom and then smashed the car's windshield with a hammer. He also removed its brake disc and pad and set fire to them.

The angry owner said his action was meant to be a message to Toyota executives in Japan that the brake system of the company's Fortuner had big problems.

Cracks had developed in his car's brake system although he had driven it less than 10,000km in the five months since its purchase, he said.

He had the vehicle checked and repaired by Toyota Libra but the problems remained unfixed. He said he had also complained to Toyota Motors (Thailand) more than two months ago but there was no response from the firm.

Mr Preecha said his drastic protest was also meant as a warning to other Fortuna owners and potential buyers.

He also lodged a complaint with the Office of the Consumer Protection Board on Oct 19.

In response, Toyota Motors (Thailand) yesterday said the brake systems of all Fortuners had already passed standard checks.

Vuthikorn Suriyachanthananont, the firm's executive vice-president, said the brake systems of all Fortuners were up to standard. Under normal circumstances, cracks should not have developed in the vehicle's brake system. However, modifying the vehicle to accept bigger wheels and tyres could cause some cracks to develop, he said.

``We have confidence in the efficiency and quality of the Fortuner's brake system. However, we are ready to negotiate with the customer to fix the problems. And the firm is ready to take responsibility in line with Toyota's standards to give all our customers utmost satisfaction,'' Mr Vuthikorn said.

I recently bought a blue, automatic, gasoline Fortuner about a month ago from the dealership near the airport. I saw the car being displayed in Carrefour and bought it the next day. Apparently, blue, automatic, gasoline Fortuners are not as nearly in high demand, but I love mine. I was driving by that dealership last week and saw a Blue Fortuner in the showroom.

I have just bought a black fortuner with all the extras (except bumper) at list price with discount cards 15%, from a supplier in Bangkok. Delivery date 5 days!!! well impressed with service and finance company arrived the next morning to do all the paperwork. Answer next day!

Toyota Pattaya quoted 3-5 months

Siracha 2.5-3 months

Petchaburn 7days