Building A House

FrankBE

I had same problems, they had no idea what "square" or "straight" or level was, and i have this curse that I can spot something that isnt either at 20 paces, it drives me nuts ! but coming from an engineering background too it doesnt help the blood pressure.

They seem to think "near enough is good enough", just take a look at most Thai telegraph or lamp posts and you'll see exactly what I mean, wouldnt know a straight or vertical line if it hit them.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had same problems, they had no idea what "square" or "straight" or level was, and i have this curse that I can spot something that isnt either at 20 paces, it drives me nuts ! but coming from an engineering background too it doesnt help the blood pressure.

They seem to think "near enough is good enough", just take a look at most Thai telegraph or lamp posts and you'll see exactly what I mean, wouldnt know a straight or vertical line if it hit them.

Got to take Issue with you there, well regard's to my Professional Plumber's. They had a level must admit it was only 8" 20mm long though but they had one. Just one small problem the distance between the two down pipe's was over a foot 30+mm. But they still used it. Might be the reason to start with that the first pipe was lower than the second it joined into that in turn led to the down pipe. Sorted in the end as out came two of my level's a 2 foot 60mm one and another that is 1mt. Used to get blood pressure now I just sit back and laugh, very Therapeutic. I didnt relate what happened when they fitted the main's pipe, turned on the water and our 180 pump kicked in surffice to say that after 1 min: two of the joint's exploded and we had two 3+mt Nam Poo's, Fountain's. Oh what joy I'm still laughing now as I tap. No joke's now can you imagine how thing's could have turned out if they had cemented them in first as they never pre test anything. Have a friend that has just that problem now. Buddha help us. And all house builder's.

This topic has brought it all back to me when I had my house built about 12 years ago. Yes, it's still standing!!! Ha! ha!

Some one asked me at the time if I was going to sell it after completion, make some money and then do it all over again. "You have got to be joking!" was my reply. I found the whole experience very stressful even though I used a builder who was recommended by my Australian friend who is the curator of the war graves cemetery in Kan. This builder was involved in the construction of the Hellfire Museum and also built the museum adjacent to the main war cemetery in town. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't want to go though the experience again!!

p.s. I made sure that I bought the materials and paid the builder for his labour.

This topic has brought it all back to me when I had my house built about 12 years ago. Yes, it's still standing!!! Ha! ha!

Some one asked me at the time if I was going to sell it after completion, make some money and then do it all over again. "You have got to be joking!" was my reply. I found the whole experience very stressful even though I used a builder who was recommended by my Australian friend who is the curator of the war graves cemetery in Kan. This builder was involved in the construction of the Hellfire Museum and also built the museum adjacent to the main war cemetery in town. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't want to go though the experience again!!

p.s. I made sure that I bought the materials and paid the builder for his labour.

Last time I was at Hell fire pass there was an Australian man doing a new ceiling. Asked him how/why he was able to do it work permit ect. Reply as it's run by the Australian's Govenment he could do it beside's the Thai workmen are crap. And the Australian govenment wont use them for anything major. There only good as holder's. Hold this, Hold that. What did he have while he did the work two Thai holders/passers pass this pass that. Maybe you got one of those.

Been a interesting read on peoples takes but I do not think there is such a thing as Thai professional plumber's. :rolleyes:

You can get work done here exceptionally well but as said, before you pay money to build, do wait to see whether you want to live or have a share in property first in Thailand.

Firstly get to read up on some building knowledge if you don't understand about construction and also anger control management.

A good point is to have scaled drawing plans done, you have always then have something to refer to when you see something has not been done correctly, which is very rare !! :whistling:

It will be much better if you are in attendance and each crucial stage.

Mine is a long story but in short when I decided to pay money for a house is was to be a holiday retirement home.

After I had finished the drawings of the style of house that was chosen, the ground work and perimeter wall was up.

When we got started on the house we did it bit by bit, my girl friend at the time living with her family, me in hotels.

Obviously starting with correct foundation work layout and the construction design of the sewerage system.

It took us a long time in some respects but we were not in a hurry and gave me time to have the money required for each stage.

The carpenter we had was magic the craftsmanship was excellent, we were happy with the outcome it's like a Scandinavian style type house and when I retired here I carried on doing extra things and still have things I want to do.

I helped one of the family with there bungalow and then went on to add on another 4 terraced bungalows.

You can get things done as I have said but there maybe a lot of sacking and changes of labour involved.:D

Last time I was at Hell fire pass there was an Australian man doing a new ceiling. Asked him how/why he was able to do it work permit ect. Reply as it's run by the Australian's Govenment he could do it beside's the Thai workmen are crap. And the Australian govenment wont use them for anything major. There only good as holder's. Hold this, Hold that. What did he have while he did the work two Thai holders/passers pass this pass that. Maybe you got one of those.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit regarding the builder I used. My Aussie pal who was greatly involved in overseeing the initial construction of the museum at Hellfire Pass said that in his opinion the Thai guy's "concrete" work was of a standard that he was happy to recommend. As I have a house built of mainly concrete it seemed a reasonable conclusion to use him. At least he came with 'some' favourable mention and this by a farang with engineering skills. Mind you, if I had known how difficult the builder's wife turned out to be I might have used someone else but I won't bore you with the problems she caused. I understand that when it came to the construction of the Thai Burma Railway museum she was no longer in the picture.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit regarding the builder I used. My Aussie pal who was greatly involved in overseeing the initial construction of the museum at Hellfire Pass said that in his opinion the Thai guy's "concrete" work was of a standard that he was happy to recommend. As I have a house built of mainly concrete it seemed a reasonable conclusion to use him. At least he came with 'some' favourable mention and this by a farang with engineering skills. Mind you, if I had known how difficult the builder's wife turned out to be I might have used someone else but I won't bore you with the problems she caused. I understand that when it came to the construction of the Thai Burma Railway museum she was no longer in the picture.

With respect I cannot see your point there are many Thai people who can do a good level of construction, cement is cement if you are there and mix it correctly to the specification of what you want to apply it to, then how can there be a problem.

If you want to get into the physics of building the Sydney Opera House OK but this is Thailand and you are only building a house.

Things can be done here correctly regardless of any Thai wife intervention.

There are some really go and valid opinions and suggestions made here and I hope to God the Op takes them on board and LISTENS !

15k baht per sq meter is absolutely stupid ! I personally would recommend that if you really must build then YOU buy any materials and just pay labour, you can control what is bought, the quality you want and minimise waste, if you leave it to a Thai they couldnt careless if 2 cube of sand is left scattered everywhere they are not paying for it.

How can you say the sq meter price is stupid if you don't know the cost of materials ;) if he's having teak doors and windows, solid wood floor, 1,000 sq mtr bathroom tiles then it probaly isn't stupid, i know the OP said "reasonably good quality materials" and to him that could the mean examples iv'e given, although they would seem expensive to some of us.

By the way you say "if you leave it to a thai", leave what to a thai ?

There are some really go and valid opinions and suggestions made here and I hope to God the Op takes them on board and LISTENS !

15k baht per sq meter is absolutely stupid ! I personally would recommend that if you really must build then YOU buy any materials and just pay labour, you can control what is bought, the quality you want and minimise waste, if you leave it to a Thai they couldnt careless if 2 cube of sand is left scattered everywhere they are not paying for it.

How can you say the sq meter price is stupid if you don't know the cost of materials ;) if he's having teak doors and windows, solid wood floor, 1,000 sq mtr bathroom tiles then it probaly isn't stupid, i know the OP said "reasonably good quality materials" and to him that could the mean examples iv'e given, although they would seem expensive to some of us.

I think what he is saying is correct, if you have experianced building something here you would find out very quickly that if you do not work out the quantities in ordering materials yourself, your going to end up with enough materials to build something else.:lol: :lol:

I think what he is saying is correct, if you have experianced building something here you would find out very quickly that if you do not work out the quantities in ordering materials yourself, your going to end up with enough materials to build something else.:lol: :lol:

Well it doesn't matter if you have already agreed a price as basicly them materials would be part of his profit ;)

I think what he is saying is correct, if you have experienced building something here you would find out very quickly that if you do not work out the quantities in ordering

materials yourself, your going to end up with enough materials to build something else.:lol: :lol:

Well it doesn't matter if you have already agreed a price as basicly them materials would be part of his profit ;)

I do not think it is a simple as that, if you just think about the subject on agreed pricing, if you agree a price on a house already built somewhere, like it and buy it then OK, when you want to build from scratch it's a whole different ball game.

Most of the what are called builders :whistling: usually give a price for labour that's where drawings come into there own.

You will usually be asked to buy the materials which is the best way in my opinion.

When it comes to fixtures and fittings you wouldn't want the builder to buy them for you.

On every project we have started we have always encountered the agreed amount is not going to be enough.

Let me give you an idea of how thing's work here. I had to do my drive way, a price agreed for labour. I was to pay for material's. Up came the first pick up with sand 2 S/M of it, went off and came back about 1 hour later with anoher 2 S/M. Off it went again and you've guessed it came back with yet another 2 S/M It was then I said stop As I had already worked out that 4 S/M was plenty. Oh it no problem the builder said if we over we can take away. Yes I thought for another job that I would be paying for. How much did they use well about 3 S/M. Get the idea now.

Edited by fredob43

Let me give you an idea of how thing's work here. I had to do my drive way, a price agreed for labour. I was to pay for material's. Up came the first pick up with sand 2 S/M of it, went off and came back about 1 hour later with anoher 2 S/M. Off it went again and you've guessed it came back with yet another 2 S/M It was then I said stop As I had already worked out that 4 S/M was plenty. Oh it no problem the builder said if we over we can take away. Yes I thought for another job that I would be paying for. How much did they use well about 3 S/M. Get the idea now.

By doing it this way your creating grey areas which is where they can have you over, why not them ask them before they start how many s/meters would they be using, or better still just ask them for a price for the job end of, if too expensive get someone else, how easy is that.

I think what he is saying is correct, if you have experienced building something here you would find out very quickly that if you do not work out the quantities in ordering

materials yourself, your going to end up with enough materials to build something else.:lol: :lol:

I do not think it is a simple as that, if you just think about the subject on agreed pricing, if you agree a price on a house already built somewhere, like it and buy it then OK, when you want to build from scratch it's a whole different ball game.

Most of the what are called builders :whistling: usually give a price for labour that's where drawings come into there own.

You will usually be asked to buy the materials which is the best way in my opinion.

When it comes to fixtures and fittings you wouldn't want the builder to buy them for you.

On every project we have started we have always encountered the agreed amount is not going to be enough.

You obviously havn't given the Builder enough details on quality of tiles etc, iv'e recently told a builder how much i want to spend on flooring, bathware, types of windows which he will put in his price, basicly the more details that are in the drawings the better and fewer shocks later.

By doing it this way your creating grey areas which is where they can have you over, why not them ask them before they start how many s/meters would they be using, or better still just ask them for a price for the job end of, if too expensive get someone else, how easy is that.

In over 20 year's of dealing with Thai builder's I have only TWICE found good one's. One was a ceiling man that did all those fancy raised one's you see in hotel's ect did I use him you bet. Did I have a problen well he has now done 10 for me in my place so that will tell you. And that time I did it your way ask a price and he sorted the hole thing. The other was a painter and I still use him. He tell's me what he need's and I go and get it and he just paint's what and where I tell him. Your Idea of getting them to give you a price for everything at first seem's a good one very logical. But what you have to remember is you are dealing with Thai Builder's 40+% crap & the remaining 99% jack of all trade's & Master's of none. Then there's the language problem so mistake's will occur and trust me on this one if there is a problem it will be your fault regardless of whether it's in writing on a plan. If your not knowledgeable about everything that they are doing from the bottom up. And follow all work at every stage you will be in the Do Doo's big time. Last but not least there's the LOGIC bit, Thai's dont have any.

Best of luck with what you do. But I bet that before the job's finished if you rely on them you will be changing builder's more than once. Not to mention the cost that will incur. Tip. When the job start's book yourself an ICU room in the local hospital as you will need it.

You obviously havn't given the Builder enough details on quality of tiles etc, iv'e recently told a builder how much i want to spend on flooring, bathware, types of windows which he will put in his price, basicly the more details that are in the drawings the better and fewer shocks later.

Apologies, I didn't make it clear enough that I was referring to money.

Never had problems with material unless they cock something up when came to cutting to size or length etc.:)

In over 20 year's of dealing with Thai builder's I have only TWICE found good one's. One was a ceiling man that did all those fancy raised one's you see in hotel's ect did I use him you bet. Did I have a problen well he has now done 10 for me in my place so that will tell you. And that time I did it your way ask a price and he sorted the hole thing. The other was a painter and I still use him. He tell's me what he need's and I go and get it and he just paint's what and where I tell him. Your Idea of getting them to give you a price for everything at first seem's a good one very logical. But what you have to remember is you are dealing with Thai Builder's 40+% crap & the remaining 99% jack of all trade's & Master's of none. Then there's the language problem so mistake's will occur and trust me on this one if there is a problem it will be your fault regardless of whether it's in writing on a plan. If your not knowledgeable about everything that they are doing from the bottom up. And follow all work at every stage you will be in the Do Doo's big time. Last but not least there's the LOGIC bit, Thai's dont have any.

Best of luck with what you do. But I bet that before the job's finished if you rely on them you will be changing builder's more than once. Not to mention the cost that will incur. Tip. When the job start's book yourself an ICU room in the local hospital as you will need it.

Agree 99%, I think a good thing to do is be patient until you can find the right guy for the job, to many people rush into Building.

It takes a lot off asking around but it's worth it, or like you said you could end up being the patient. :D

I have waiting almost a year when I wanted the carpenter that did work on our house to do some more work for me.

The good Thai tradesmen are nearly always busy and hard to get hold of.

I recently help a Canadian guy whose roof leaked like a sieve, he knew zero about roofing it had been re-roofed twice before but constructed incorrectly.

With respect I cannot see your point there are many Thai people who can do a good level of construction, cement is cement if you are there and mix it correctly to the specification of what you want to apply it to, then how can there be a problem.

If you want to get into the physics of building the Sydney Opera House OK but this is Thailand and you are only building a house.

I agree,

There are some very good Thai construction contractors about and I know this from experience.

I have recently completed construction 100 5 star villas (with pools) and all infrastructure for the Conrad Resort.

Absolutely first class workmanship both 'shell & core' and ID works.

My current project is the Dusit Resort in Maldives. Again first rate work.

I'm afraid with the majority of posters on this thread employ the services of the wife's uncle of some other village 'jack-of-all-trades and expect a first class house for under a 15k quid!

And to top it off they run around trumpet that ALL Thai builders are worthless!

What a load of <deleted>!

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Look around! there are a lot of good quality builders but they are very much in demand and their fees reflect this.

^^^^^,

there are too many under the mistaken impression that these workers are on 200/300 baht per day.

Many of the skilled workers are on salaries of at least 750 baht per day, 1000 baht per day isnt uncommon, and depending on the particular skill/trade required upwards of 1000 baht per day is not unheard of.

Also take into account the cost of some plant hire that can easily cost you 13,000 baht per day.

No wonder so many are on the housebuilding forum complaining about shoddy workmanship, as you say above, if you hire the local village drunks what do you expect, those with proper skills, qualifications and experience are all off working elsewhere.

I know of guys that have enough work to keep them going for the next 7 years.

I agree,

There are some very good Thai construction contractors about and I know this from experience.

I have recently completed construction 100 5 star villas (with pools) and all infrastructure for the Conrad Resort.

I'm afraid with the majority of posters on this thread employ the services of the wife's uncle of some other village 'jack-of-all-trades and expect a first class house for under a 15k quid!

Look around! there are a lot of good quality builders but they are very much in demand and their fees reflect this.

To be fair, in some areas monkeys are all that are available. Choosing the better ones is the challenge.

I agree,

To be fair, in some areas monkeys are all that are available. Choosing the better ones is the challenge.

As most of the building here are built on the H system the standard of doing it. They cant go wrong and even the Thai's have have got that right. Where they full down is on there logistic's. Plumbing, Electric, To keep this short I'll just tell you about Plumbing. I have a friend English who is spot on on fire safety rule's. Not Thai as they don't have any well not as the western world know's it. Any big building that is constructed over here by a foreign company use him to sort out the problem's before they start. He go's in before they do the first fix and go's through everything pipe size fall on same ect. He then leave's the Thai's to get on with it. After their first fix back he go's to check all is ok, then sign it off so they can get paid, and start the second fix. How many time in the last 10+ year's have they done it right first time. NOT ONCE. It usualy take at least 4 go's before he's satisfied. The problem is he say's is they will listen intently then just go off and do it their way. If you think I'm talking out of my Bum just go back to a few week's ago, Where in BKK they had a fire in a big condo block. Did the Sprinklers work NO. Did the Alarm's work NO I rest my case. Think on this, all the big company's use Farang foreman's, to over see the work, why, they cant TRUST Thai's to do it right. Electric as I have said is another story or several.

Edited by fredob43

Just remembered something he told me about a job he was on once and thought you might be interested. This was for the pipe work for the sprinkler's. He had previously told them that the fall was not enough on the main pipe. All they had to do was extend the riser by 2 foot 60 mm must admit a bit of faffing about then job done. What did they do as the pipe was some 50+mt long they had gone in near the start of it and pushed the pipe up then tied the pipe with wire onto the roof joist, did it have a fall well yes well on the last 35+mt of it the rest had a rise 60mm and they thought they where going to get away with it. This I might add was on a multi milion £ building. Using a so called top Thai building company. Good game A.

Edited by fredob43

He then leave's the Thai's to get on with it. After their first fix back he go's to check all is ok.

There's your mate's problem he left.:D

True true but he has normaly got several job's going at the same time. And they wont pay him to be there full time. He's now in the M/East doing the fire bit on the oil field's. Returns in two month's for more Thai work. Not bad anecdote's though could be funny if live's didn't depend on it. TIT.

What I was trying to get across in response to 'fredob43' s suggestion that I may have got just a "holder & passer" was that as I had no previous experience of house building, I was initially glad/relieved to get a builder that came with some backing/creditability rather than taking on an unknown builder that I had no prior knowledge of.

I do feel that 'Kwasaki' over simplified it when he said that cement is just cement....that being just one ingredient of concrete. There is surely more to doing good concrete work than just mixing the stuff.

There have been some posts saying that there are well qualified Thai builders out there but they are in great demand....so how long does one have to wait to get them or find them? I therefore tend to agree when 'cardholder' says "To be fair, in some areas monkeys are all that are available. Choosing the better ones is the challenge".

Anyway, what I hadn't envisaged was the 'mini war' with my soon to be neighbours that erupted between them and the builder's team whilst they were living on site during construction. Resulting in, amongst other things, some of my windows being smashed from stones fired from catapaults and the police being involved in trying to keep the peace. Then discovering that the builder's wife had been telling people in the area that I was having the house built for my "mia noi". That really pissed my wife off!! So I not only had fighting going on between the builders and the neighbours, I also had the wife at loggerheads with the builder's wife. It's no wonder I found the building of my house to be a very stressful time for me! The fact that I ended up with a house full of three pin sockets but only two wires going to them (i.e. no earthwire fitted) seemed to pale into insignificance. In the end I just wanted them to finish and go! :annoyed:

Just as an aside, I discovered that they had been running up bills in various shops in the area telling the shopkeepers that they would pay when the 'farang' paid them (in reality I was paying at various stages during construction). I discovered this when having moved in and started to use these shops myself, I was asked as to how the house was coming along. When I told them that it was completed was when I found out what they had been doing. :lol:

Regarding the fighting between my neighbours and the building crew, I believe it was a case of 'six of one and half a dozen of the other' as I was eventually to find out that I had moved next door to extremely difficult people. The husband having served many years in prison for murder. None of the people in the area speak to them, not even other members of their family speak to them. It's a shame I wasn't able to vet my neighbours before we moved in. Over the years i have had many issues with them....now I just ignore them.

What I was trying to get across in response to 'fredob43' s suggestion that I may have got just a "holder & passer" was that as I had no previous experience of house building, I was initially glad/relieved to get a builder that came with some backing/creditability rather than taking on an unknown builder that I had no prior knowledge of.

I do feel that 'Kwasaki' over simplified it when he said that cement is just cement....that being just one ingredient of concrete. There is surely more to doing good concrete work than just mixing the stuff.

There have been some posts saying that there are well qualified Thai builders out there but they are in great demand....so how long does one have to wait to get them or find them? I therefore tend to agree when 'cardholder' says "To be fair, in some areas monkeys are all that are available. Choosing the better ones is the challenge".

Anyway, what I hadn't envisaged was the 'mini war' with my soon to be neighbours that erupted between them and the builder's team whilst they were living on site during construction. Resulting in, amongst other things, some of my windows being smashed from stones fired from catapaults and the police being involved in trying to keep the peace. Then discovering that the builder's wife had been telling people in the area that I was having the house built for my "mia noi". That really pissed my wife off!! So I not only had fighting going on between the builders and the neighbours, I also had the wife at loggerheads with the builder's wife. It's no wonder I found the building of my house to be a very stressful time for me! The fact that I ended up with a house full of three pin sockets but only two wires going to them (i.e. no earthwire fitted) seemed to pale into insignificance. In the end I just wanted them to finish and go! :annoyed:

Just as an aside, I discovered that they had been running up bills in various shops in the area telling the shopkeepers that they would pay when the 'farang' paid them (in reality I was paying at various stages during construction). I discovered this when having moved in and started to use these shops myself, I was asked as to how the house was coming along. When I told them that it was completed was when I found out what they had been doing. :lol:

Regarding the fighting between my neighbours and the building crew, I believe it was a case of 'six of one and half a dozen of the other' as I was eventually to find out that I had moved next door to extremely difficult people. The husband having served many years in prison for murder. None of the people in the area speak to them, not even other members of their family speak to them. It's a shame I wasn't able to vet my neighbours before we moved in. Over the years i have had many issues with them....now I just ignore them.

Sorry to hear of your problem's, a lot of it seem's like the old Thai green eye, have had a bit of that, with the wife of one my Farang friend's. All ok till I stopped renting and bought the house were now in now she wont speak to us, no loss as she not to nice anyway.

With regard's to my Holder and Passer It was said with tongue in cheek. But just about sum's up how I feel about most Thai builder's. 99.9% wouldn't get a job doing even that in England. About your three pin plug's nothing here has an earth there are way's of doing it but an earth stake in the ground is not one of them, can cause more problem's than they cure as a friend of mine found out when the ground near his house got struck by lightning and blew two shower's + other stuff to a crisp, as luck would have it no fire. Sorry not clued up on the way to do it. Could find out but I think if you can find it on google might be a better idea, don't think it's cheap though. If you read some of my post's you will find that a lot can do a fair !!! job building the structure but they fall down on the fixture's & fitting's. Just count your lucky star's you don't live in a high rise, as 90%+ are an accident waiting to happen. Keep plodding on and laugh it's about the best us Farang's can aspire to.

prodriver said.

What I did say was :-

Thai people who can do a good level of construction, cement is cement if you are there and mix it correctly to the specification of what you want to apply it to, then how can there be a problem.

fred said.

About your three pin plug's nothing here has an earth there are way's of doing it but an earth stake in the ground is not one of them, can cause more problem's than they cure as a friend of mine found out when the ground near his house got struck by lightning and blew two shower's + other stuff to a crisp, as luck would have it no fire.

With respect that is not correct it is very easy to install an earth grounding rods system in building house.

With a new build an additive to the concrete foundations along with using grounding rods at time of building is an excellent electrical grounding installation.

If the house is already built then grounding rods is also a good system if carried out correctly.

Your friend did correct in installing grounding rods, they were obviously not installed in the correct way.

If they were installed correctly and a RCCB and a load centre safety ' T ' cut unit was put in place and connected within the wiring of the house, that would never of occurred.

Further to this I have even gone to the trouble but not that much because I have a whopping great Aeriel on the roof of the second floor of my house it also serves as a lighting rod protecting the house from lighting strikes.

I would urge anyone to install a correct earthing system, there are many good Thai electricians who have no problem with this.

Be prepared to pay the money and use a properly trained electrician not a monkey.

prodriver said.

What I did say was :-

Thai people who can do a good level of construction, cement is cement if you are there and mix it correctly to the specification of what you want to apply it to, then how can there be a problem.

fred said.

About your three pin plug's nothing here has an earth there are way's of doing it but an earth stake in the ground is not one of them, can cause more problem's than they cure as a friend of mine found out when the ground near his house got struck by lightning and blew two shower's + other stuff to a crisp, as luck would have it no fire.

With respect that is not correct it is very easy to install an earth grounding rods system in building house.

With a new build an additive to the concrete foundations along with using grounding rods at time of building is an excellent electrical grounding installation.

If the house is already built then grounding rods is also a good system if carried out correctly.

Your friend did correct in installing grounding rods, they were obviously not installed in the correct way.

If they were installed correctly and a RCCB and a load centre safety ' T ' cut unit was put in place and connected within the wiring of the house, that would never of occurred.

Further to this I have even gone to the trouble but not that much because I have a whopping great Aeriel on the roof of the second floor of my house it also serves as a lighting rod protecting the house from lighting strikes.

I would urge anyone to install a correct earthing system, there are many good Thai electricians who have no problem with this.

Be prepared to pay the money and use a properly trained electrician not a monkey.

My friend got an electrician!!! All he did was put a rod into the ground and fed the two shower earth wire's into it. Bingo a burn out. I have a very good electric shop near me, tomorrow I'll go and have a word thank's for the tip. I have got a feeling though that the RCCB has to be inline on the earth set up, as most electric is done here only using a two core cable ie no earth I think I might have a problem. But tomorrow will tell. Once again Many thank's.