Big Snake Sighting

fm2002

Just got home from shopping and when I pulled up my neighbor came over to tell me he just saw a big snake in my driveway. He described it as solid black, 2 meter in length, and diameter as big as the end of a baseball bat. Any ideas what it might be? Hoping a constrictor of some kind and not a cobra???

I happened upon one of these a while back. Can't recall the name that I was told that it was. I almost ended up in a fight for my life though. I had been walking around in the same general area for some time, just looking at different things and not aware that the thing was in the area. When I finally realized it was there, I was within about two feet of it and it was very aware of me. I froze, remembering that you are not supposed to make quick movements, as that can be perceived as a threat. Being so close, I had to decide whether I would be allowed to move away without inviting a strike or if I should actually make the first strike- "a good offense being the best defense", kind of thinking. I kind of tested him out, to see if he would tip his hand, so to speak. I leaned a bit left and then a bit right, but as I did, he moved his head right in time and motion with me, almost imperceptibly, but movement all the same. As near as I could tell, he pretty much had me in his sights and he was as capable as I of striking first. I decided to go first, hoping I could strike hard and fast and then retreat out of reach as he tried to avoid the incoming threat.

Not wanting to telegraph my move, I slowly raise both of my hands, moving them farther away from my body as I raised them. He would have to divide his attention between the two and hopefully, that would give me the advantage I needed. I also started cocking my head from side to side, just to add one more bit of movement for him to inventory. At last, I realized that he was thoroughly involved in trying to monitor my decoy movements and as long as I chose the correct hand to strike with, things would go my way. Wanting to add just a bit more confusion to his situation, I slowly raised my right foot, eventually bringing my knee up almost to my chest. It was time to strike.

Then the tour guide came by and told me to move along to the next cage, which was a turtle display and that was kind of cool to see.

Edited by kandahar

I happened upon one of these a while back. Can't recall the name that I was told that it was. I almost ended up in a fight for my life though. I had been walking around in the same general area for some time, just looking at different things and not aware that the thing was in the area. When I finally realized it was there, I was within about two feet of it and it was very aware of me. I froze, remembering that you are not supposed to make quick movements, as that can be perceived as a threat. Being so close, I had to decide whether I would be allowed to move away without inviting a strike or if I should actually make the first strike- "a good offense being the best defense", kind of thinking. I kind of tested him out, to see if he would tip his hand, so to speak. I leaned a bit left and then a bit right, but as I did, he moved his head right in time and motion with me, almost imperceptibly, but movement all the same. As near as I could tell, he pretty much had me in his sights and he was as capable as I of striking first. I decided to go first, hoping I could strike hard and fast and then retreat out of reach as he tried to avoid the incoming threat.

Not wanting to telegraph my move, I slowly raise both of my hands, moving them farther away from my body as I raised them. He would have to divide his attention between the two and hopefully, that would give me the advantage I needed. I also started cocking my head from side to side, just to add one more bit of movement for him to inventory. At last, I realized that he was thoroughly involved in trying to monitor my decoy movements and as long as I chose the correct hand to strike with, things would go my way. Wanting to add just a bit more confusion to his situation, I slowly raised my right foot, eventually bringing my knee up almost to my chest. It was time to strike.

Then the tour guide came by and told me to move along to the next cage, which was a turtle display and that was kind of cool to see.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hook, line and sinker !!!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Well done

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

You sure do know how to hold an audience captive. Hook, line, sinker and then some....PP

The best I read here in Thaivisa ! I almost shit my pants! :blink: Very good story !

:D:D:D

Well, said snake took refuge in some shrubbery that is located right next to my front door and walkway that leads in and out of my house. I also have a dog the size of a large rat. So enough of the jokes or hijacking of my thread please. The reason I asked of the type of snake was there was another snake spotted at a neighbors house. They were of the opinion it was a constrictor. I know Cobras can be black, but the only constrictor I know of that's black is a Anaconda and I'm not sure they have those up here or in Thailand. A Cobra residing mere feet from where my family and I habitat is a bit unsettling.

The maid sorted this bloke out near the back door a couple of years back.

He ended up ngu tom yam.

baby1%252520017.jpg

Cobras like piles of rubbish because mice and rats live there. Clean up around your environs and encourage the neighbours to do the same.

Edited by sceadugenga

Well, said snake took refuge in some shrubbery that is located right next to my front door and walkway that leads in and out of my house. I also have a dog the size of a large rat. So enough of the jokes or hijacking of my thread please. The reason I asked of the type of snake was there was another snake spotted at a neighbors house. They were of the opinion it was a constrictor. I know Cobras can be black, but the only constrictor I know of that's black is a Anaconda and I'm not sure they have those up here or in Thailand. A Cobra residing mere feet from where my family and I habitat is a bit unsettling.

From your first description "black nearly 2 metres long" sounds to me like a King Cobra or Ngu Jong Ang in Thai, Extremely poisonous bite. I'm sure your village, or the next one down the street, has a snake catcher who you can call on to try to find it and do the necessary. Not wishing to trivialize the issue, but I'm told they make a very good Pat Pet (Curry) too.

Stay clear and keep the dog indoors for a while

Excellent,:D had us all grinning.

Excelle

nt,:D had us all grinning.

On a serious note, like scea. posted, not nice to have one around. Clean tidy gardens are a must here. I have a lovely photo of my mother - then in her late 70's -holding up a 5ft long spitting cobra encountered in her kitchen which got bashed to death with some broom that was at hand. Her gardener had walked in behind her when she called out and dived headfirst out the window. Much the most sensible thing to do, I would have thought discretion rather than attack was the plan. Does anyone have any advice about what is the best thing to do if you come across one?

Edited by sbk
fixed quotes

From your first description "black nearly 2 metres long" sounds to me like a King Cobra or Ngu Jong Ang in Thai, Extremely poisonous bite. I'm sure your village, or the next one down the street, has a snake catcher who you can call on to try to find it and do the necessary. Not wishing to trivialize the issue, but I'm told they make a very good Pat Pet (Curry) too.

Stay clear and keep the dog indoors for a while

Good advice about the local snake catcher, Around my neck of the woods most of the farmers are fairly adept at catching them, as they supposedly turn a good price. Though I'm fairly sure the King Cobra's are protected in Thailand, some keep forgetting to tell the locals that, when the snakes end up in the cooking pot.

A couple of years ago Mrs Lman encountered this enbooted sight. Toads love the aromic cosy atmosphere of my wellies, and this cobra snakie was after his lunch. Now, I hate to kill snakes and she, who is ecomomical with the truth at times, said she just shood it away.

Our little dog Shitzu also was found with a banded krate in his mouth (most poisonous in LOS) both survived the encounter, but poor kratie was clobbered by the grass strimmer the following day.

Yes, I too was taken in by your scarry tale Kandahar!

Pics of booted cobra taken by Mrs Lman, plus a banded krate(nocternal little blighter)

post-42984-0-42238300-1311322804_thumb.j

Banded krait2 reduced.bmp

I think a lot of Cobra's are likely to spit you in the eye before Biting.

So I guess Sunglasses or glasses would be a help.

Not sure about how effective Kd's Shaolin Crane style Kung <deleted> would be :D

Excelle

On a serious note, like scea. posted, not nice to have one around. Clean tidy gardens are a must here. I have a lovely photo of my mother - then in her late 70's -holding up a 5ft long spitting cobra encountered in her kitchen which got bashed to death with some broom that was at hand. Her gardener had walked in behind her when she called out and dived headfirst out the window. Much the most sensible thing to do, I would have thought discretion rather than attack was the plan. Does anyone have any advice about what is the best thing to do if you come across one?

I grew up in rural Australia which was a pretty snakey place and we were advised by our elders to leave snakes alone. They rarely make an unprovoked attack and will usually leave the scene rapidly if a human approaches.

Obviously you don't want them in or around the house but as I said, prevention is better than cure, they will only hang around if there's a food source.

The mind goggles at the thought of the level of starvation that would drive one into one of Lannaman's wellies for something to eat.

You sure do know how to hold an audience captive. Hook, line, sinker and then some....PP

A "Well Done" from me as well. Good one!

Thanks for the suggestions. Where I live I'm surrounded by Dutch not unfortunately snake eating Thais. I may ask the owner if I can level the area of possible snake refuge. However it's a nice area with flowers and small shrubs. He may not want to. Also I will buy another garbage can to ensure all garbage is enclosed and not out to attract rats. When I first moved in I commented how nice it was that I never saw any rodents. Well now I think I know why rolleyes.gif

dam_n....where I grew up, snakes were plentiful, even for the four genera of poisonous snakes (USA), but none that were really lethal unless you got bit on your neck. Well, okay...I am sure there have been numerous snake bite deaths there, but not instantaneous. How long with a bite from a cobra...not very. Now I am getting this...very uneasy feeling, totally opposite from when I was a kid....about snakes. I used to catch them alot. Got bitten a few times. Once by a 3 foot (1m) King Snake....this one had teeth! Fangs found in pit vipers are a form of teeth, I suppose....teeth with built in hypodermic needles! (Okay, most of them do have teeth...probably all of them in one form or another) Having said that, I had never got bitten prior to that by King Snakes, at least. Another time by a pygmy ground rattler...that one took getting the old Cutter snake bite kit out and then soaking in epsom salts, repeatedly for the rest of the day. Talk about a high....but I do not recommend getting high that way! I am wondering if the local hospitals stock anti-venom for cobras or the other assortment of deadly serpents slithering around in the countryside? Hmmmmm. I don't want to nurse a phobia at this age! But cobras.......and not just any old cobra...no-siree....KING COBRAS! I have read they have a striking distance of over 2 meters. There are over 2500 species of venomous snakes in the world....I wonder how many of those are found here, in SE Asia? At least we don't have to be concerned with Mambas, Fer-de-lances or Bushmasters here. By the way, does anybody know where I can get me some mongooses (mongeese?)...perhaps a dozen or so? Yikes! ett

There are over 2500 species of venomous snakes in the world....I wonder how many of those are found here

Thailand has 200+ snake species with over 60 of them - venomous. I created this site as a way to educate Thais and visitors to Thailand about snakes. Many people kill the snakes they see in Thailand, while in many cases - they are non-venomous and completely harmless. With this site I hope to give people a better idea what is harmful and what isn't.

Good site here > Thailand Snakes

And here > Thailand Pulse

And one more > Siaminfo

//edit - found another one

Siam Foundation - Snakes of Thailand

Edited by Tywais
Added additional link

Excelle

I grew up in rural Australia which was a pretty snakey place and we were advised by our elders to leave snakes alone. They rarely make an unprovoked attack and will usually leave the scene rapidly if a human approaches.

Obviously you don't want them in or around the house but as I said, prevention is better than cure, they will only hang around if there's a food source.

The mind goggles at the thought of the level of starvation that would drive one into one of Lannaman's wellies for something to eat.

On the odd occasion have left my trainers by front door outside only to put them on in the morning to find a large frog curled up inside but gtot to agree it would take a brave snake to go in there.

I don't see the need for a phobia, ett. How often do you hear about anyone being killed by a snake here? As several others have said, if you leave them alone, they leave you alone. Usually. There was a news story some time ago about a Thai guy being brought to the hospital with one ailment or another and he was loaded onto a gurney and parked outside near the front doors to wait until someone had time to check him out. Turns out there was a poisonous snake on the gurney that nobody noticed. The snake bit the guy and he died from it. But what are the chances? Once in a generation, maybe.

If you need a phobia, here is a valid one. Riding a motorcycle in Thailand. Now there, what are the chances of disaster? Wow! Just gotta keep these things in perspective.

I too grew up with rattlers, also copperheads and water moccasins. In town, we killed them. In the country, we killed them. As I grew older, I gave up killing them on the ranch. They just eat too many rodents for me to be judging them to be a nuisance. However, when a fella grabs his thousandth bale of hay from the field to throw up on the wagon and finds a copperhead within the bale staring him right in the face from six inches away as he heaves the bale, it certainly does give the heart a start. Even as your brain processes the fact that the thing is dead from being run through the baling machinery, your body goes forward with its terrified defensive acts. Makes for a good laugh with your fellow hayers but takes several minutes for your heart to slow down and allow your brain to see the humor. You CAN throw a hay bale completely over the wagon under the right circumstances.

Now and then at this house, family start calling for me to come kill a snake they have discovered on the yard. I ignore them. I am more fond of snakes outside than I am of rodents inside. But maybe I ought to start having a look and see if it has a triangular head. If it does, then maybe the rats will come out winners on that day.

Edit: Couldn't find the news story about the hospital guy but found comments on it that said he died four days after the bite. I wrote it as I remembered it, and that memory had the guy dead immediately.

Edited by kandahar

There are over 2500 species of venomous snakes in the world....I wonder how many of those are found here

Thailand has 200+ snake species with over 60 of them - venomous. I created this site as a way to educate Thais and visitors to Thailand about snakes. Many people kill the snakes they see in Thailand, while in many cases - they are non-venomous and completely harmless. With this site I hope to give people a better idea what is harmful and what isn't.

Good site here > Thailand Snakes

And here > Thailand Pulse

And one more > Siaminfo

Great sites! Thanks for posting. ett

dam_n....where I grew up, snakes were plentiful, even for the four genera of poisonous snakes (USA), but none that were really lethal unless you got bit on your neck. Well, okay...I am sure there have been numerous snake bite deaths there, but not instantaneous. How long with a bite from a cobra...not very. Now I am getting this...very uneasy feeling, totally opposite from when I was a kid....about snakes. I used to catch them alot. Got bitten a few times. Once by a 3 foot (1m) King Snake....this one had teeth! Fangs found in pit vipers are a form of teeth, I suppose....teeth with built in hypodermic needles! (Okay, most of them do have teeth...probably all of them in one form or another) Having said that, I had never got bitten prior to that by King Snakes, at least. Another time by a pygmy ground rattler...that one took getting the old Cutter snake bite kit out and then soaking in epsom salts, repeatedly for the rest of the day. Talk about a high....but I do not recommend getting high that way! I am wondering if the local hospitals stock anti-venom for cobras or the other assortment of deadly serpents slithering around in the countryside? Hmmmmm. I don't want to nurse a phobia at this age! But cobras.......and not just any old cobra...no-siree....KING COBRAS! I have read they have a striking distance of over 2 meters. There are over 2500 species of venomous snakes in the world....I wonder how many of those are found here, in SE Asia? At least we don't have to be concerned with Mambas, Fer-de-lances or Bushmasters here. By the way, does anybody know where I can get me some mongooses (mongeese?)...perhaps a dozen or so? Yikes! ett

I always kept a King snake or two as a pet? anytime I lived in a slightly rural part of Texas or Oklahoma. Great guard snake.. To bad nothing simular here.B) I assume? Mongoose?

VERY amusing. Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

We don't get snakes around our house all that often. These two were more interested in their loving embrace than us.

This one is called a "Sunbeam Snake" and harmless. Flashes rainbow colors in the sunlight.

Got this from "Thailand Snakes" and it agrees with what the Red Cross Snake Farm in Bangkok says:

The Malayan Pit Viper kills more people in Thailand than any other. Another very dangerous snake is the Russell’s Viper which is found in certain parts of Thailand. Russell’s vipers kill more people worldwide than any other snake on the planet.

What should I do if I encounter a snake in the forest?

If it is on the ground and you are close to it – within 1 meter, you should very slowly move back away from it. Cobras like to strike when you are backing away fast. If you go slow enough that they cannot tell you are backing away – you’ll probably be OK.

If it is green and in a tree you should move back quickly from it. Vipers have heat sensing organs that will trigger the snake to bite automatically sometimes if it senses you are hot.