BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
toybits

Reclaiming The Sidewalk.

I like to walk on the sidewalk. However, it is quite an obstacle course with soo many obstructions like those I mentioned above. Many shops have also laid claim to the pavement to make the narrow sidewalk even narrower. While I am ranting here, has anyone of you walked along the sidewalk on a rainy day? Feels like walking on ice - especially on those where they have laide polished granite tiles. GRRRRRRR....

Another reason I hear about the 'Clumsy Ferang' comments.

Well... since the Little Duck road works were completed, we've needed to cast our gaze further afield to find something to complain about. :lol:

This again is where cofusion exists between foreigners and Thai .

In most of our home countries the sidewalk aka footpath is for walking on, maybe an odd pram or a wheelchair and maybe if you were from a real lawless country you would see a bicycle on the sidewalk aka footpath.

In Thailand a footpath aka sidewalk is for selling goods, extending your shop, parking motorcycles, growing trees, full time restaurants, part time restaurant, full time shops, part time shops , storing unused telephone kiosks,etc,etc

It is prime real estate and a great revenue source for the local corrupt officials.

So when you walk on the sidewalk aka footpath, please give way to these people.

Back in 1975 you could walk on the footpaths...come to think of it that was in Bangkok....CR didn't have any.

In most of our home countries the sidewalk aka footpath is for walking on, maybe an odd pram or a wheelchair and maybe if you were from a real lawless country you would see a bicycle on the sidewalk aka footpath.

In Thailand a footpath aka sidewalk is for selling goods, extending your shop, parking motorcycles, growing trees, full time restaurants, part time restaurant, full time shops, part time shops , storing unused telephone kiosks,etc,etc

It is prime real estate and a great revenue source for the local corrupt officials.

I agree absolutely but we're surrounded by people determined to have clear sidewalks, gutter that doesn't rust, beef that's properly aged and the perfect burger so they can create a little Dusseldorf/Newcastle (Australia or the UK)/Denver/Adelaide home away from home. B)

I agree absolutely but we're surrounded by people determined to have clear sidewalks, gutter that doesn't rust, beef that's properly aged and the perfect burger so they can create a little Dusseldorf/Newcastle (Australia or the UK)/Denver/Adelaide home away from home. B)

You forgot the taco thing.

Though I am used to navigating the sidewalk minefield, on the odd occasion the stealthily laid trip hazard does catch me unawares.

Never been to Dusseldorf, what's it like? :D

Though I am used to navigating the sidewalk minefield, on the odd occasion the stealthily laid trip hazard does catch me unawares.

Never been to Dusseldorf, what's it like? :D

I don't know any Thais who complain about the obstacle course part of the sidewalks. But I know enough who complain about the way the sidewalks are constructed and collapse into the storm drains a short time after they are built and then left in disrepair for years. The complaint there is the wasted tax money and the hazard.

Som Tan tacos... I meant they were good Som Tan tacos.... :)

This again is where confusion exists between foreigners and Thai .

I agree absolutely but we're surrounded by people determined to have clear sidewalks, gutter that doesn't rust, beef that's properly aged and the perfect burger so they can create a little Düsseldorf/Newcastle (Australia or the UK)/Denver/Adelaide home away from home. B)

Never been to Düsseldorf, what's it like? :D

I don't know any Thais who complain about the obstacle course part of the sidewalks. But I know enough who complain about the way the sidewalks are constructed and collapse into the storm drains a short time after they are built and then left in disrepair for years. The complaint there is the wasted tax money and the hazard.

Now that you brought it up. I was going to mention that its fine for the locals who probably meander along that very route every day selling their wears or buying their daily meal. It's just the irregular pedestrian not aware of all the ups, downs and pitfalls of these well trodden pathways, who get caught out at times. I swear that I am getting Chameleon eyes trying to ensure that I dodge umbrellas, awnings, ground obstacles and still be able to keep up with my wife who seems to have built in avoidance radar for the hazards. :D :jap:

Yes, and while you're watching where your feet are landing, don't forget the steel traffic signs that are at the correct height to earn you ten stitches in your forehead if you don't see them in time.

Sometimes, when the wife and I are walking at night and are passing one of those, I will reach up and slap it hard with my hand and then grab my head. After her heart attack about thinking I have hurt my head, she then lays into me about what is funny and what is not. Either way, I laugh for about the next two blocks. I know funny when I see it.

Some photos of Chiang Rai sidewalks (?).

Please tell me where the wheelchair ramp is in the second photo.....surely it must go somewhere? :rolleyes:

Edited by harrry