Reclaiming The Sidewalk.

toybits

Time for the Farangs and Tourists to Reclaim the Sidewlks. Just like the now infamous 7-11 motobike guy.

Unfortunately I see too many Tourists and a few local Farangs walking in Traffic and in the middle of the Soi's and Streets, even where the sidewalks are clear.

They walk or stand in the middle of the streets without regard to traffic or their own safety.

Guess the Thai's feel if the Tourists can own the streets, then the Locals can Own the Sidewalks :cheesy:

I know it's almost next to impossible to have sidewalks like those they have in Singapore - but I can dream, can't I? But then like so many people pointed out - Thais don't seem to like walking. Just like they hate bicycling (as if it was beneath them and was only done by Burmese women in Sarong dresses). With petrol prices rising and cost of living rising faster than ever, it will not be surprising that more people will be leaving motorized vehicles parked and using their legs more. Another piece of real estate that is fast becoming scarce is parking space. More reason to walk.

I know it's almost next to impossible to have sidewalks like those they have in Singapore - but I can dream, can't I? But then like so many people pointed out - Thais don't seem to like walking. Just like they hate bicycling (as if it was beneath them and was only done by Burmese women in Sarong dresses). With petrol prices rising and cost of living rising faster than ever, it will not be surprising that more people will be leaving motorized vehicles parked and using their legs more. Another piece of real estate that is fast becoming scarce is parking space. More reason to walk.

SINGAPORE !? WHAAA !!! ..... can you imagine what would happen to some 'innocent' farang who just happened to park his motorcycle in the Window of a 7-11 in Singapore whilst I'm assuming (and one should never assume) under the influence of Alcohol.

you can dream , we can have Nightmares :D

SINGAPORE !? WHAAA !!! ..... can you imagine what would happen to some 'innocent' farang who just happened to park his motorcycle in the Window of a 7-11 in Singapore whilst I'm assuming (and one should never assume) under the influence of Alcohol.

Fortuantely for the Thai's there is no fine for spitting on the sidewalk. Can you imagine if was policed like Singapore? Not that I want it to be. If I recall correctly, up to $1,000 fine for hoiking one up on the sidewalk in Singapore.

Fortuantely for the Thai's there is no fine for spitting on the sidewalk. Can you imagine if was policed like Singapore? Not that I want it to be. If I recall correctly, up to $1,000 fine for hoiking one up on the sidewalk in Singapore.

I suspect 60 Million people including a good majority of farangs would be Incarcerated.

What about taking a leak at the side of the road ? Surely thats not Illegal in Singapore !? :rolleyes:

Did I say 'Incarcerated' Ouch ! Tortoise moment

What I cannot understand is that some people cry that this place is not civilized. Too dirty, to corrupt, to chaotic, dada, dada, dada.... But at the same time they don't want it to be like one of the cleanest metropolis on the face of this planet. So what they want is that Goldilock situation - a fine balance of freedom and regulation. Give me Singapore Anytime.

What I cannot understand is that some people cry that this place is not civilized. Too dirty, to corrupt, to chaotic, dada, dada, dada.... But at the same time they don't want it to be like one of the cleanest metropolis on the face of this planet. So what they want is that Goldilock situation - a fine balance of freedom and regulation. Give me Singapore Anytime.

I also don't understand the cry for this 'siwilai' behaviour in LOS. I like the "dada, dada" thing.

I spend 1 week out of 4 working in Sing., 1 week working around KL. 1 week BKK and 1 week outside BKK (bludging). I choose Thailand's dirt and corrupyion (it's not all like that you know) over Sing's safe pedestrian crossings/ miniscule crime/ great public transport/Singlish language and being able to watch Ferraris and Maseratis all day. Anytime.

I think Big Brother in Singapore is reasonably benevolent. Just not for me.

Thailand warts and all for me rather than Singapore needing three wheel-barrow loads of forms and a solicitor at SGD500 per hour just to rent some digs.

Mai sabai I reckon.

BTW- I always apologise to the tree's ghost for my weak bladder and lack of will-power in abstaining from the evil Chang bottle before relieving myself on their tree. I hope the ghosts understand English... hmmm...

Reason for edit: Can't type for sh%t.;)

Edited by andrew55