Jump to content
BANGKOK
toenail

Building A House In Isaan

Recommended Posts

My thoughts, too, are build to be comfortable inside without a/c. This means lots of shade, roof overhangs. And no massive heat trap over your head in uninsulated, unventilated, attic space under a peaked roof. Shaded outside living areas, and my preference for a kitchen/dining area would be mostly breeze block....with actual screening applied.
(Just spent two days with gfs family in the boondocks. The heat is tolerable in the shade, the bugs aren't.)

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CGW said:

Impossible, unless you intend kidding yourself that you are "comfortable" in ~40c heat in the summer time breathing filthy air -  I'm sorry to tell you! :shock1:

With a bit elevation on the land, and big trees and natural fauna around, it could be possible with a good built bungalow, and high radiation insulation in roof with good ventilation, and fully insulated roof, walls and floors inside, but it is expensive. I have done it on my 36m2 bungalow, and it is a big difference from anything else I have experienced, still going to have aircon installed. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

With a bit elevation on the land, and big trees and natural fauna around, it could be possible with a good built bungalow, and high radiation insulation in roof with good ventilation, and fully insulated roof, walls and floors inside, but it is expensive. I have done it on my 36m2 bungalow, and it is a big difference from anything else I have experienced, still going to have aircon installed. 

 I have built a very well insulated house  with cavity, double wall ,superblock construction. Plenty of air flow and big overhangs. Non of these does anything to change the humidity. IMO if one does not run AC it will get musty inside. 

The AC removes the humidity. I have a pot where the living room (24k BTUs) AV drips it fill with water in a day from the humidity  the AC removes from inside the house.

  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, Ddbanksy said:

Is it worth building this year 2019 or waiting to see what the THB does 2020/22/23???

 Advice needed also because i am now clearing my land and hoping to have my bungalow up before Songkran?

Aren't you going to fill the land first?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tagged said:

it could be possible with a good built bungalow, and high radiation insulation in roof with good ventilation, and fully insulated roof, walls and floors inside, but it is expensive.

"Could be possible"? should be possible?, defied me - lets all be real it ain't possible! unless we learn to defy thermodynamics!.

"If the outside temperature equals your body temperature, your body is unable to dispose of its excess heat without overheating. (Actually, so long as humidity remains reasonably low, your body can employ evaporative cooling, which is how we can survive on hot days without air conditioning. But excessive sweating is not exactly fun. And in 100% relative humidity, 32-33 degrees Centigrade can be deadly to an otherwise healthy human being.)"

My house has all the above apart from insulated floors, they are granite and have a 1m airgap underneath, in the Summer they can be 33c, windows are another big factor, sealed units help, as stated all the above don't help with humidity and no matter what you do temperature will always equalise if allowed too.

Then there is the fact that mold loves the humidity, then move on to consider the polluted air! AC is the easiest option, preferably with additional filter material.

My house is well insulated that pays dividends in the "winter" as have to close up the house to keep the heat in on the days that it does get cold.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CGW said:

"Could be possible"? should be possible?, defied me - lets all be real it ain't possible! unless we learn to defy thermodynamics!.

"If the outside temperature equals your body temperature, your body is unable to dispose of its excess heat without overheating. (Actually, so long as humidity remains reasonably low, your body can employ evaporative cooling, which is how we can survive on hot days without air conditioning. But excessive sweating is not exactly fun. And in 100% relative humidity, 32-33 degrees Centigrade can be deadly to an otherwise healthy human being.)"

My house has all the above apart from insulated floors, they are granite and have a 1m airgap underneath, in the Summer they can be 33c, windows are another big factor, sealed units help, as stated all the above don't help with humidity and no matter what you do temperature will always equalise if allowed too.

Then there is the fact that mold loves the humidity, then move on to consider the polluted air! AC is the easiest option, preferably with additional filter material.

My house is well insulated that pays dividends in the "winter" as have to close up the house to keep the heat in on the days that it does get cold.



 

Read my post once more, everything dependes on landscape, fauna the person who is going to live there, okay?

 

if its poor farming land village etc, no

 

I say it is possible, I have tried staying in Isan in the hottest months, but I finely uppgraded the house outside area with radiation insulation, and aircon in our room. 
 

Our bungalow is elevated, alot of natural trees and fauna around, and it is a big difference from the village house. 
 

Anyway, anyone who have enough money, should spend some few on a decent house with aircon and insulation, improves life alot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

8 X 10 one bedroom,one bathroom and lounge area.

760,000 all up minus furniture.

Paid one builder 140,000 to do structure and roof,another 60,000 for the rest(foundation,brickwork,windows,tiles etc.)

20,000 for the painters.

If it was a standard Thai build you could take 200,000 off the price.

 

20190619_153557.jpg

Can you send an example of standard Thai build?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Thai mate down the road.

Less steel in roof structure.

It will be standard blocks,cheap tiles,old style bathroom,etc

He reakons about 5-550.

20191018_170152.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was my 1st farmhouse 15 years ago,35,000

Times have changed.

DSCN0117.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 3:30 PM, CGW said:

I agree with you - a decent house improves your life a lot, I have had bad heatstroke 3 times in the past forty years in SEA - never again - I hope!

My house sits in the middle of a one acre "field" surrounded by trees & grass, there is a large reservoir 50m away, no close neighbours, when its 40c outside without AC in the summer it doesn't take that long for the inside of the house to be 40c also!

This is the fourth house I have built in Thailand, the one thing I have learnt is "I" need AC 🙂 

if someone can show me a house that defies temperature and stays cool in an Isaan summer, I will be happy to learn.

 

Google 'Qeenslander'. These were houses built for the tropics. Very wide verandahs, 3 metre high ceilings etc etc. Don't need air conditioning, in fact when they were building them 100 years ago there was no such thing as a domestic airconditioner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Google 'Qeenslander'. These were houses built for the tropics.

I did and still am open to seeing a house that stays cool in Thailand summers.

Agree the houses were the best design that they had at the time - But! - tin roof - no thanks, its also 10 degrees cooler there, HUGE difference.

Sure they had no AC, bet they would have loved one though! :wink:

I have 3m ceilings and verandah or shade all around house, it all helps but for comfort and health AC is the still the only alternative! :shock1:

I lived in one of the old "Black & White houses in Singapore, they were "cool" but again Singapore is 10° cooler than an Isaan summer.

Edited by CGW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CGW said:

I did and still am open to seeing a house that stays cool in Thailand summers.

Agree the houses were the best design that they had at the time - But! - tin roof - no thanks, its also 10 degrees cooler there, HUGE difference.

Sure they had no AC, bet they would have loved one though! :wink:

I have 3m ceilings and verandah or shade all around house, it all helps but for comfort and health AC is the still the only alternative! :shock1:

I lived in one of the old "Black & White houses in Singapore, they were "cool" but again Singapore is 10° cooler than an Isaan summer.

Unless it gets to 50 degrees plus in your part of Isaan I respectfully disagree. The shape of the roof is more important than the tin itself. The heat is channelled to the apex and released, basically a chimney effect and works very well.I've lived in one. Admittedly did upgrade to ceiling fans.

You need to remember the people living in these houses were/are used to a tropical climate. 30 degrees C is a pleasant day. 35 is getting a little warm, 20 degrees and its time to light a fire to keep warm.

I can understand if you are transplanted from a cool/cold country to Isaan and the heat may be oppressive to you - but that doesn't mean we all are.

I have a feeling this is going to be a pointless discussion as you seem very set in your ways.

 

Edited by emptypockets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...