Building A House In Isaan

toenail

28 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Google 'Qeenslander'. These were houses built for the tropics. Very wide verandahs, 3 metre high ceilings etc etc. Don't need air conditioning, in fact when they were building them 100 years ago there was no such thing as a domestic airconditioner

that's Queenslander ..... they are a high set timber house with big airy verandahs and open underneath so as to let the breeze flow through.

I've got some website's of Thai wooden houses that some folks might want to visit …. 

when I find them shortly I'll post them up ..  

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

that's Queenslander ..... they are a high set timber house with big airy verandahs and open underneath so as to let the breeze flow through.

I've got some website's of Thai wooden houses that some folks might want to visit …. 

when I find them shortly I'll post them up ..  

That's websites. 

Yes, I do know how to spell Queensland ( I see it on the mail often when we are in Oz) but even with my superior typing skills I still make the occasional typo.  My apologies Stevo old mate.

Why do people need websites to see highset Thai houses? I just have to walk down the soi.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I can understand if you are transplanted from a cool/cold country to Isaan and the heat may be oppressive to you - but that doesn't mean we all are.

I have a feeling this is going to be a pointless discussion as you seem very set in your ways.

As I say I am open to discussion, I have lived in the tropics for over 40 years and earned a living working in steaming hot engine rooms, pump rooms and shipyards so am as acclimatised as I am going to get - but I am also looking for comfort.

Google weather tells me that the temperature in Queensland has a high of 31c is that wrong? It's not unusual without any heat index to see 40° plus in the summer months here in Isaan.

Doubtless the heat would be channelled with the correct roof shape but if the temp is 40° plus its not going to be very comfortable?

32 minutes ago, CGW said:

As I say I am open to discussion, I have lived in the tropics for over 40 years and earned a living working in steaming hot engine rooms, pump rooms and shipyards so am as acclimatised as I am going to get - but I am also looking for comfort.

Google weather tells me that the temperature in Queensland has a high of 31c is that wrong? It's not unusual without any heat index to see 40° plus in the summer months here in Isaan.

Doubtless the heat would be channelled with the correct roof shape but if the temp is 40° plus its not going to be very comfortable?

Queensland is a vey big place. 31 degrees is quite pleasant and certainly not the 'high'. Some places hit the high forties regularly in summer. Just checked the temperature in the nearest big city/town to where my place is. 26 degrees at 10:11 pm. it will hit 31 tomorrow. Not too bad for what some people would call spring. 

39 minutes ago, CGW said:

I know what you are saying. On two occasions I have had my hard hat melt and deform due to heat. Both time checking temperature transmitters on very high temperature furnaces. 

40 degrees plus is never comfortable, but can be mitigated to a certain extent with the correct design. 34 degrees with high humidity is not real comfortable either and a lot harder to mitigate. That's when air con comes into play.

I've worked in very low humidity areas at 45 degrees and it's not that bad to be honest. You sweat and cool down. High humidity is a killer.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, steven100 said:

image.png.2609e3de74afac108714712ed763eaa9.png

They look lovely.

I personally would never have anything wood on a house here,the expansion contraction is huge.

The up keep of preserving the wood to keep termites out.

Saying that with a steel structured roof there's a lot of creaks and groans.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I've worked in very low humidity areas at 45 degrees and it's not that bad to be honest. You sweat and cool down. High humidity is a killer.

Agree with you there, I've been in the desert when its ~45c it's really, as you say - not that uncomfortable, high humidity just can't be comfortable, near killed me! got a bad case of heatstroke some years back working on a "dead" ship in a Singapore shipyard, silly hot - ridiculously humid, simply couldn't drink enough water to stay hydrated!

• Like 1

Large over hangs raised high up will do nothing to lower temps if  the outside temps are 36-37 or whatever, you cannot defy ambient air temps  without aircon, doesnt matter how  many trees  you put round the house, hell you could  put an umbrella  over it and the temp  will not be less than ambient.

If its 34 outside it  will be the same inside, anyone who thinks  you can lower that temps is kidding themselves without air  con

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Large over hangs raised high up will do nothing to lower temps if  the outside temps are 36-37 or whatever, you cannot defy ambient air temps  without aircon, doesnt matter how  many trees  you put round the house, hell you could  put an umbrella  over it and the temp  will not be less than ambient.

If its 34 outside it  will be the same inside, anyone who thinks  you can lower that temps is kidding themselves without air  con

Never heard of the Coolgardie fridge? Trees can have a similar effect. They can change the local climate. Even a grass lawn instead of a concrete slab can make a huge difference to comfort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ddbanksy said:

Land is already levelled mate.
Q.better to build house whilst the THB is strong now or wait till 2020/21/22?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are asking the wrong person. I live and work in Thailand and all my savings are in Baht, so exchange rate really doesn't affect me. Most construction materials are locally produced so it shouldn't have much of an impact. If, however, you are bringing money in for the build, now would not be the best of times due to reduced exchange rate. But will the rate improve in the near future? I have no idea. 

4 hours ago, Hansum man said:

Just wondering is permission to build a house required in Thailand?

Or if I own/lease the land can I build whatever I want on it without consulting/paying the authorities?

Some years ago it was easy and you could build whatever you want.

Now the things have changed and you need to give some papers to your local office in the village\city 

BEFORE to start to build. (They want a map for the land and the house, distance from the neighbours, the wires connections for water, electricity and waste water and toilets evacuations etc, the best thing imo is to ask to an architect to prepare all the stuff for you, around 5000 to 10000 bhts depend of the size of the house)

On 7/24/2011 at 9:02 AM, mario299 said:

Toenail

The advice you are getting is good, it really comes down to what materials and labor you buy. Our agreement with our contractor was for a fixed labor amount, and then we bought all the materials. I do not recommend building a house paying "by the day", take a look at a video/slideshow I made of ours in 2008. This is a bit larger than what you are looking to do, but our total cost for everything was less than 1 million baht. Feel free to PM me for any details you would like to know about. Enjoy...we did and are!

Best of luck

mario299 :jap:

What an awesome video. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Now the things have changed and you need to give some papers to your local office in the village\city 

BEFORE to start to build. (They want a map for the land and the house, distance from the neighbours, the wires connections for water, electricity and waste water and toilets evacuations etc, the best thing imo is to ask to an architect to prepare all the stuff for you, around 5000 to 10000 bhts depend of the size of the house)

Not so in our area of Isaan.

Go to your local goverment land office,to see if you live in or outside the boundary,depends on how to build.
Inside,you have restrictions and have to submit professionally signed drawings and have them passed(15,000thb)
Mandatory connections to water and electricity.Materials,colour and house orientation.
Outside:Please youself

Just wondering is permission to build a house required in Thailand?

Or if I own/lease the land can I build whatever I want on it without consulting/paying the authorities?

• Like 2

If you haven't done this yet be wise and have an expert look at the land chanote and tell you if building on the land is ok for a live in house, I know folks who built on agri land and couldn't get elect hookup.  Sure you can build a farm use structure on some but not to live in.  Many types of chanotes with many restrictions, don't rely on your wife's knowledge solely.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Sorry mate you are not exactly correct, in this village, in fact within 100 meters of me there are 3 new houses being built.

I know for a fact 2 of them have no permissions what so ever.

Outside the city boundaries anything goes here in Issan.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Oh really?

Have you build recently?

i think it was a national requirement everywhere in Thailand

Yes we have built recently

Have you ever been to rural Isaan?

There are no requirements for anything.

You thought wrong!

• Thanks 1

Go to your local goverment land office,to see if you live in or outside the boundary,depends on how to build.
Inside,you have restrictions and have to submit professionally signed drawings and have them passed(15,000thb)
Mandatory connections to water and electricity.Materials,colour and house orientation.
Outside:Please youself

My address is Sakhon Nahkon.Just 200 yards away,outside the Government boundary ,Thai(head of village)built last year,no restrictions,drawings or amenities etc!!!

11 hours ago, IraqRon said:

If you haven't done this yet be wise and have an expert look at the land chanote and tell you if building on the land is ok for a live in house, I know folks who built on agri land and couldn't get elect hookup.  Sure you can build a farm use structure on some but not to live in.  Many types of chanotes with many restrictions, don't rely on your wife's knowledge solely.  

We went to Ampur and asked what we could do or not do on our farmland, and they replied we could do anything we wanted. No restrictions on no chanote land. Por bor something is the title. 

I guess it is different from district and village what the rules is. The only thing we have to do to get electric, is to have a qualified toilet by healt government, and then we can have a house number and blue book. When I say we, I ment my girl friend ????

Ok that was probably a local ''law'' 

it was not in Issan but in a small village at 50 kms from Chiang Rai

and even the house builder, which have had build half of the houses of the village

was surprised by the new requirement. It was 4 years ago and no way to have the

connection to the electricity and water, and the regsitration of the adress house

without the right papers.

Edited by kingofthemountain