Bkk Traffic Congestion To Be Greatly Alleviated

Jai Dee

BMA BELIEVE TRAFFIC CONGESTION WILL BE GREATLY ALLEVIATED THROUGH COMPLETION OF 15 FLYOVERS

Deputy Bangkok Governor SAMART RATCHAPHONSIT (สามารถ ราชพลสิทธิ์) has asserted that the creation of junction flyovers throughout Bangkok would be able to alleviate traffic congestion.

Mr. SAMART said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) places much importance in solving the traffic problem, where it had initiated construction of as many as 15 flyovers to alleviate commuters' plight. Currently 7 flyovers have been opened for public use, whereas the rests are currently in construction and will be completed soon.

In the long run, Mr. SAMART said emphasis would be on the mass transit system, such as the electric train and the BRT rapid bus. Meanwhile he believe that traffic congestion will be greatly alleviated once construction on all 15 flyovers are completed.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันจันทร์ที่ 24 ตุลาคม 2548

I believe this can help a lot, but I wonder why I dont see any roundabouts here in Thailand. My European home-country started to adopt this British thing about 10 years ago and I think it helped a lot....

would the Thai motorists be confused how to use such a thing ? I dont think so, because they already have to be very careful when they arrive at any U-turn-area or any junction with no traffic signals....

I believe this can help a lot, but I wonder why I dont see any roundabouts here in Thailand. My European home-country started to adopt this British thing about 10 years ago and I think it helped a lot....

would the Thai motorists be confused how to use such a thing ? I dont think so, because they already have to be very careful when they arrive at any U-turn-area or any junction with no traffic signals....

You should see the confusion at the Dolphin Roundabout in Pattaya... :o

Go spend 10 minutes standing at the roundabout at the Impact complex (Muang Thong Thani), the stop lines are almost totally ignored, vehicals coming onto the roundabout often don't even slow down, let alone give way to traffic already on the roundabout. IMO It would be a big mistake to have more of them here.

I believe this can help a lot, but I wonder why I dont see any roundabouts here in Thailand.

You can't have been here very long - there are several roundabouts in and around Bangkok. Victory monument, just to name one.

To make roundabouts work requires drivers to have a minimum of knowledge as to who has the right-of-way. In Thailand, the answer is "me"......

Hence, most roundabouts are now fitted with traffic lights, and hence, there are no real advantages compared to conventional traffic junctions......

In the long run, Mr. SAMART said emphasis would be on the mass transit system, such as the electric train and the BRT rapid bus. Meanwhile he believe that traffic congestion will be greatly alleviated once construction on all 15 flyovers are completed.

Let's get to the "long run" as quickly as possible. It's well past time to wean Bangkokians off their dependence on the private motor vehicle. The 15 flyovers will look pretty pathetic some years hence when the price of petrol has risen even more so that even putting oneself in debt up to one's eyeballs will not suffice to pay for the precious privilege of joyriding around in one's face-giving car or motorcycle. Maybe then Bkk. will be a more livable city. :o