Meridian Brandy Or Regency Brandy

Finlaco

Just Curious

I’m really quite tame with my alcohol choice, 95% beer and 5% wine/whisky. I’ve tried Sangsom and died for two days afterwards. So I’m curious if any TV member has any opinion on Meridian Brandy or Regency Brandy. My un-informed opinion is to ‘assume’ that the cheaper prices (compared to imported alcohol) reflect poor quality rather than high import taxes on the imported alcohol. Thanks

I think Regency tastes fine. And import taxes are high, so that is part of the reason it is cheaper. Other than lao khao liquor is more expensive here than in the US.

Anyone know what Thai brandy is made from?

Regency - is a VSOP Brandy, it's very mellow!

Metaxa

Courvoisier

@DP25 #5

They do grow sucessful Grapes here and some of the wine is alright to drink, so guess it's made from wine.

After the grapes are pressed, the juice is left to ferment for two or three weeks, with the region's native, wild yeasts converting the sugar into alcohol; neither sugar nor sulfur may be added.[5] At this point, the resulting wine is about 7 to 8% alcohol. The wine is very dry, acidic, and thin, "virtually undrinkable"

-Wiki - about "Cognac"... guess it's very much the same here, then one well known politician owns one of the largrest wineries in Thailand and one in France too... so there could be another source.

Edited by Samuian

I think Regency tastes fine. And import taxes are high, so that is part of the reason it is cheaper. Other than lao khao liquor is more expensive here than in the US.

Anyone know what Thai brandy is made from?

I believe it is the product of distilling urine from Thais who drink Lao Kao, I may be wrong, it may actually be made from dog piss.

• Sad 1

Last night tried Regency and lived to tell the tale. I did chicken out and did it Thai style, soda and midge of pepsi. I was totally surprised to awake with virtually no ill affects, albeit I was easy on the pour and 2/3 of the bottle consumed between two. I wont drink it neat but considering no ill affects, the quality of the ingredients and distilling process isn't bad. 

Not really. Depends on the person. Some prefer quality over quantity. Each to their own. I've not drank to get drunk since my uni days. Now I drink to relax and avoid morning after hang overs.

'Some prefer quality'

Yes, but the main thing is to alter your brain. And just because it's expensive or have a fancy name, the drug is still the same.

Not really. Depends on the person. Some prefer quality over quantity. Each to their own. I've not drank to get drunk since my uni days. Now I drink to relax and avoid morning after hang overs.

Yes the immediate affect is the same. The difference (for me) is the taste (if quality, i'd consume neat) and most importantly the morning after. The cheaper and nastier the ingredients the nastier the hangover.

'Some prefer quality'

Yes, but the main thing is to alter your brain. And just because it's expensive or have a fancy name, the drug is still the same.

'Some prefer quality'

Yes the immediate affect is the same. The difference (for me) is the taste (if quality, i'd consume neat) and most importantly the morning after is (for me)less severe with a quality spirit. The cheaper and nastier the ingredients the nastier the hangover.

• 1 year later...

Having just had the opportunity to sample some of this VSOP, my experience of liquors suggests to me that this might be the only single malt (sic!) brandy I've ever tasted.

It's very much more in the class of a whisky than a brandy, there is little smoothness or body that would suggest the distillation of a grape in here.

Try to drown or avoid the taste by flooding with pepsi(!) or chilling it with ice. Not to be savoured or enjoyed, more endured.