BANGKOK
Finlaco

Meridian Brandy Or Regency Brandy

Just Curious

I’m really quite tame with my alcohol choice, 95% beer and 5% wine/whisky. I’ve tried Sangsom and died for two days afterwards. So I’m curious if any TV member has any opinion on Meridian Brandy or Regency Brandy. My un-informed opinion is to ‘assume’ that the cheaper prices (compared to imported alcohol) reflect poor quality rather than high import taxes on the imported alcohol. Thanks

Indeed ^^^, however Regency with ice and lots of soda is very drinkable with Thai food and friends :)

I think Regency tastes fine. And import taxes are high, so that is part of the reason it is cheaper. Other than lao khao liquor is more expensive here than in the US.

Anyone know what Thai brandy is made from?

sure - but although u represent a large percentage of TV members, there are still quite a few that have sth of value to add to a post

Perhaps try them both and then decide for yourself? :rolleyes:

Regency - is a VSOP Brandy, it's very mellow!

Metaxa

Courvoisier

@DP25 #5

They do grow sucessful Grapes here and some of the wine is alright to drink, so guess it's made from wine.

After the grapes are pressed, the juice is left to ferment for two or three weeks, with the region's native, wild yeasts converting the sugar into alcohol; neither sugar nor sulfur may be added.[5] At this point, the resulting wine is about 7 to 8% alcohol. The wine is very dry, acidic, and thin, "virtually undrinkable"

-Wiki - about "Cognac"... guess it's very much the same here, then one well known politician owns one of the largrest wineries in Thailand and one in France too... so there could be another source.

Edited by Samuian

I drink SangSom, with ice and soda and it's fine for me.

My wife drinks Regency, ice and soda and she is happy with that.

I think Regency tastes fine. And import taxes are high, so that is part of the reason it is cheaper. Other than lao khao liquor is more expensive here than in the US.

Anyone know what Thai brandy is made from?

I believe it is the product of distilling urine from Thais who drink Lao Kao, I may be wrong, it may actually be made from dog piss.

• Sad 1

Last night tried Regency and lived to tell the tale. I did chicken out and did it Thai style, soda and midge of pepsi. I was totally surprised to awake with virtually no ill affects, albeit I was easy on the pour and 2/3 of the bottle consumed between two. I wont drink it neat but considering no ill affects, the quality of the ingredients and distilling process isn't bad. 

Whatever get you drunk would be fine. I assume this is the main point in drinking alcohol. :whistling:

Not really. Depends on the person. Some prefer quality over quantity. Each to their own. I've not drank to get drunk since my uni days. Now I drink to relax and avoid morning after hang overs.

Well regency and any other rotgut made here is not quality. I love a good beer but refuse to drink the crap that sells as beer here. Each to their own though.

• Like 1