Is Using Multiple Browsers Slow Down My Computer?

lazygourmet

Sorry for my ignorance, but just a question...

Daily, I am using my main laptop with three browsers, open at once:

- firefox: for browsing, news and radio streaming

- chrome: for mail and blogging

- rockmelt: for social media

Am I wrong... and should I use only one?!?

I would think you could use as many browsers as you wish... There's no rule against it, however, I don't know too many folks who run more than one browser at any given time. I can understand running multiple browsers if you're a web developer or have trouble with page rendering. Other than that, I see no reason for it. And yes, it does slow your system down.

On my computer, I have IE9 and FF5. The only time I'd use IE is if certain pages fail to render correctly in FF or if I wanted to access Microsoft Update. Otherwise it's Firefox all the way for me.

The number of different browsers open at the same time shouldn't slow down a reasonable spec'ed out computer (at least 2GB RAM...4 would be better). What would slow down the system is the total number of tabs one has open at the same time among the different browsers. Each tab uses up some RAM memory and if too many are open at the same time (talking like 15-30 tabs depending on total RAM) the system may become unstable or slow.

The rule here is the less computer resources you use, the more efficient your machine. So, number one, use only one browser. Two, go to your task manager and review running processes, and download a workable utility that can manage memory hogs.

Google and learn - it's fun.

Do a CTRL ALT DEL and in Task Manager look at the Processes to see how much memory each browser is using.

If one is using a lot more than the others bin it and use 2 tabs in one of the others.

This utility also shows what resources programs are using.http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896653

:thumbsup:

The result is that firefox is five times more hungry than chrome

Do a CTRL ALT DEL and in Task Manager look at the Processes to see how much memory each browser is using.

If one is using a lot more than the others bin it and use 2 tabs in one of the others.

This utility also shows what resources programs are using.http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896653

:thumbsup:

The result is that firefox is five times more hungry than chrome

Has about 5x the functionality and usefulness as well :)

Even the new Firefox 5 is RAM hungry with 10 or more tabs open. I had 8 GBs and had no problems, but my son borrowed 4 and the 4 I have left is often not enough. Have increased virtual RAM but it's not the same, though it will help.

Win 7s task manager has an app on it called resource monitor, which does pretty much the same as the app in your link. You'd need to be a geek to understand to bits it doesn't do.