Ceiling Exhaust Fan For Cooling House

bazmlb

If you find one, let me know! I did look into those "whirly birds". The guy said my roof couldn't support it. :(

Rimmer's friend did something unusual. He installed a fan in the ceiling to suck air out of the house and up into the ceiling. Not sure how it worked out, but might be interesting to hear from him????

I want it to create a slow speed draught through the house to assist with cooling.

if the ambient temperature is higher than the temperature in your home you don't get a cooling effect.

They don't necessarily have to be electric the self powered ones work very well indeed and are very cheap to buy and install.

There is an electric fan unit available that cuts in when the temperature reaches a pre set level but instead of being mounted on the roof it is inside the roof, any hot air is directed down a large pipe and blown out through a vent in the sofits, I have seen leaflets for those at Homemart Sukhumvit

I want it to create a slow speed draught through the house to assist with cooling.

if the ambient temperature is higher than the temperature in your home you don't get a cooling effect.

Step out the front door its like it drops 5c, the house heats up and retains that heat, just trying to cool it down to at least the outside temp.

Step out the front door its like it drops 5c, the house heats up and retains that heat, just trying to cool it down to at least the outside temp.

strange house :huh: but if this is the case your plan will work. i have a similar setup but use it only temporarily. you find a lot of information in these threads:

if you have specific questions please don't hesitate to ask!

They don't necessarily have to be electric the self powered ones work very well indeed and are very cheap to buy and install.

There is an electric fan unit available that cuts in when the temperature reaches a pre set level but instead of being mounted on the roof it is inside the roof, any hot air is directed down a large pipe and blown out through a vent in the sofits, I have seen leaflets for those at Homemart Sukhumvit

Exactly what I have been looking for. HomePro/Works don't have this and didn't understand what I was looking for. I'll head over there for sure!

I will go check it out, thanks for the info

strange house :huh: but if this is the case your plan will work. i have a similar setup but use it only temporarily. you find a lot of information in these threads:

if you have specific questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Naam: If you don't mind, what do you mean by "use it only temporarily"? I'm guessing you mean only for a short time in the early mornings???

Also, can you describe in a bit more detail how you setup your whole house fan? Are there vents in the walls to suck air in? Are you venting the inside air up into the roof?

I would appreciate your input. I just got an indoor/outdoor thermometer. If I keep the screened windows/doors open, it's max about a 1 degree C difference from the inside to the outside...many times, the temp is equal. When we come home after shopping all day to a closed house, it can be up to 3 degrees or so. Quite a big difference.

In the mornings I notice a big difference between the inside and the outside. Sometimes 26 outside and 28 inside...or more. Yes, I do wake up quite early sometimes! :(

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, Naam has an extractor fan mounted in the ceiling that draws air into the attic and out any vents/soffits from the attic, drawing in air through open windows/doors in the living area below. I have such a fan in my mother's house in the USA, and it is noisy as heck, but it does an EXCELLENT job of ventilating the house. Perhaps because houses in California are build virutally airtight, if she forgets to open a door or window, it almost creates a vacuum in the house ... the fan gets even noisier like it's going to burn out. Just opening one door and turning the fan on low brings a nice breeze in the door.

Running the fan for ten minutes in the evening before going to bed, and again in the morning before it heats up outside (she lives in the desert and it cools off to 16 to 18 degrees C even now in the peak of summer), and it gets/stays comfortably cool all night long without using air con. In fact, if the house is closed up before the outdoor temps start to rise, sometimes air con is not needed until noontime. But, that is a well insulated California house, not what is normally built here.

If I recall correctly, Naam has an extractor fan mounted in the ceiling that draws air into the attic and out any vents/soffits from the attic, drawing in air through open windows/doors in the living area below. I have such a fan in my mother's house in the USA, and it is noisy as heck, but it does an EXCELLENT job of ventilating the house. Perhaps because houses in California are build virutally airtight, if she forgets to open a door or window, it almost creates a vacuum in the house ... the fan gets even noisier like it's going to burn out. Just opening one door and turning the fan on low brings a nice breeze in the door.

Running the fan for ten minutes in the evening before going to bed, and again in the morning before it heats up outside (she lives in the desert and it cools off to 16 to 18 degrees C even now in the peak of summer), and it gets/stays comfortably cool all night long without using air con. In fact, if the house is closed up before the outdoor temps start to rise, sometimes air con is not needed until noontime. But, that is a well insulated California house, not what is normally built here.

Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking. My Mom lives in the desert with a very well insulated house also. Air tight for sure! But here, ventilation would not be a problem. :whistling:

It would be nice to put it on a timer...say...2-4am or something like that.

In the northern/southern countries such fan action works well, or at least a bit (in-draw the evening cooler temps) and seal house during the heat of the day. In Thailand few houses can be sealed and the temp difference is slight.

Years ago I installed the wind turbine type ceiling exhausts to roof of our two story home and had apparent large improvement in upstairs heat buildup (attic is much cooler and no radiator feeling touching cement board ceiling). Rooms much more comfortable at night. Also use same above cooking area (covered outside semi enclosed) and just the wind turbo seems to work as well as a monstrous previous powered fan unit.

Remember most of the year you can not leave windows open or you risk rain damage. Getting up at 2AM to check would not be my idea of useful product.

• 7 years later...