Genmaicha: Green Tea + Popped Rice - Where To Buy?

sonic_11uk

I'm a serious big tea drinker and am missing a type of Japanese green tea called Gen Mai Chai. It's a type of green tea (Ban Cha) mixed with popped brown rice which gives it a very aromatic and nutty flavour.

Does anyone know where to find this in Bangkok?

I've tried Emporium, Isetan, supermarket basement of Robinsons (by Asok), and Big C. No luck.

I noticed you can buy the bottled stuff by Oishi, but it's nothing like the real thing.

Any ideas where to find some Japanese supermarkets who'd stock this kind of thing?

Cheers gang!!!

You can find it at Fuji Supermarket 1 at Suk. 33/1, opposite Benjasiri Park behind Villa Supermarket (5 min. walk from BTS Promphong station) or Fuji Super 2 in Suk. 39 deep in the soi, at a location easier accessed from Petchaburi Rd. I buy teabag type Genmai-cha at Fuji supermarket regularly. They sell all kinds of Japanese tea there but nothing high grade like ones they sell at Japanese tea shops or department stores in Japan. Believe all labels are in Japanese so you might want to ask a Japanese shopper there to help you find it for you if you don't read Japaense (don't ask Thai staffs!).

Here I found the website.

http://www.ufmfujisuper.com/about.html

Edited by Nordlys

Ok, I've tried Tokyu by MBK and Foodland on Suk Sok 5 - no luck!!!

The funny thing is, it's not even considered a special tea!

Orchidexpert - can you please share which Foodland you found Gen Mai Cha?

THX!!!

I found gen mai cha at Foodland Suk Soi 5 about 3 years ago...maybe they were out of stock when you looked.

Comes in a cylindrical gold and green foil package usually with a sticker in English attached identifying the contents.

• 2 weeks later...