Anyone Used The On-Line Queue From Cm Immigration

NancyL

I just became aware of a service Chiang Mai's Immigration office is offering thru their website, http://chiangmaiimm.com/ where you can scroll down the Thai page and come to a graphic that says, "Queue Online" and be directed to a calendar and reservation system that is mostly in English. Whatever you do, don't click on the English flag at the top left of the page -- that just takes you to the English language site of the national immigration office and doesn't help you in reserving an appointment in Chiang Mai.

In looking at the Chiang Mai Immigration on-line queue, it does appear that some people are using it, because appointments for the next several days are booked. But, looking just a week ahead, I see time available. That's much better than the American Consulate's on-line reservation system, which tends to book up three or four weeks in advance. And, unlike the American's system, you can book appointments at CM Immigration several months in advance. I'm all set to book an appointment for Hubby's retirement visa extension in November!

So, has anyone used this system to handle an appointment for retirement visa extension? How did it go? I find it hard to believe you can make an appointment and stroll in at 14:00 (per your appointment) to have it handled. I think 14:00 is 2:00 pm, but I guess I should confirm that before I book an appointment for Hubby.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

' I find it hard to believe you can make an appointment and stroll in at 14:00 (per your appointment) to have it handled'

I think you are right about that. Some people call it Thai time. :D

On a serious note. This sounds like good news. Please report back. :)

Edited by Semper

Not sure if this is a question, but you put it in your post.

The American Consulate online appointments are required, and have been for some time. Cannot compare to something relatively new and not required at Thai Immigration.

I, for one, will be looking forward to any posts, including from you, how the system for Thai Immigration works.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

The only thing that worries me is that the sign-up asks : "subject/question". Makes it seem like a general queue to ask a question. Either way I've made a reservation and will call tomorrow to find out if it what I'm looking for. Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to cancel the reservation and set my alarm for Monday AM......

Our clerk reserved an appointment for my annual visa extension last week, she said it is now a requirement to get an appointment? No idea, but I had never seen this many people at immigration (the long weekend definitely didn't help, though), no seats inside, quite a crowd outside. They were running late and it took us an hour to get the extension. No idea how it would have gone without an appointment, but compared to the entire mornings I had to spend there in previous years, this was a definite improvement now.

In answer to your question, NancyL, yes, I have used the online queue reservation system.

I printed it out, and went by CM Imm a couple of weeks ago to make sure it was the real thing, not a beta test, etc.

The officer at the One Stop (windows 1&2) looked at it, said yes it's a real queue reservation, and said I should appear 5-10 minutes prior to the listed time.

The only thing that worries me is that the sign-up asks : "subject/question". Makes it seem like a general queue to ask a question. Either way I've made a reservation and will call tomorrow to find out if it what I'm looking for. Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to cancel the reservation and set my alarm for Monday AM......

In my case Steve, I typed in "retirement extension".

That's what appears on the completed printed out form, and that is what I have reserved for in the queue.

Hope this helps.

In answer to your question, NancyL, yes, I have used the online queue reservation system.

I printed it out, and went by CM Imm a couple of weeks ago to make sure it was the real thing, not a beta test, etc.

The officer at the One Stop (windows 1&2) looked at it, said yes it's a real queue reservation, and said I should appear 5-10 minutes prior to the listed time.

Please help! I made the reservation and filled in the information. I entered it and it made the reservation, but did not see any information to print or any kind or res #. Now it has my reservation as requested, and I have no print out. What is it you are supposed to print? Can you help?

Just made a booking for our retirement visa renewal in September. Could those that have used the new system post anything extra we need to know, which window to go to initially etc.

If this works effectively it will be a major bonus-kudos to CM IMM.

Perhaps this is worth being pinned?

Please help! I made the reservation and filled in the information. I entered it and it made the reservation, but did not see any information to print or any kind or res #. Now it has my reservation as requested, and I have no print out. What is it you are supposed to print? Can you help?

Hello Lifer,

I have just returned from Imm. to query what to do about the exact situation you describe.

I booked appointments for both my wife and myself only to find that because of a "block' on the computer I was unable to get a queue number (or anything else, for that matter)that I could print out.

Our appointments were logged in but there was no apparent way I could cancel and reset for another attempt without being able to provide a reference number.

After a number of different bits of advice I was told, this morning, to present ourselves at due times when our names would be called.

We can live in hopes. If you choose to visit Imm. Dept. and query your own situation, you might be good enough to confirm whether I've been given the right story or not. I'll take my chances.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

With all this coming and going + all the anxiety it is seemingly inducing, is it worth it?

Wouldn't it just be easier just to get there early one day a year?

You are probably right but the way the numbers are constantly increasing you may well have to camp overnight by Christmas.

With all this coming and going + all the anxiety it is seemingly inducing, is it worth it?

Couple of useful posts you have made relating to this attempt by immigration to make life easier for them and us!

I agree. Guess the concern is if they make it mandatory.

You are probably right but the way the numbers are constantly increasing you may well have to camp overnight by Christmas.

Well, the people that haven't used the online system before are going to have panic attacks until the day they arrive, wondering if everything is OK. That's EVEN if they make a special trip to immigration to check it out first. You're right about the numbers, but as I get up at 6 am anyway, it's no big deal to get there really early once a year.

Edited by uptheos

Hello Lifer,

I have just returned from Imm. to query what to do about the exact situation you describe.

I booked appointments for both my wife and myself only to find that because of a "block' on the computer I was unable to get a queue number (or anything else, for that matter)that I could print out.

Our appointments were logged in but there was no apparent way I could cancel and reset for another attempt without being able to provide a reference number.

After a number of different bits of advice I was told, this morning, to present ourselves at due times when our names would be called.

We can live in hopes. If you choose to visit Imm. Dept. and query your own situation, you might be good enough to confirm whether I've been given the right story or not. I'll take my chances.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot. I will probably go in next week and check. My concern is that if they have made this mandatory, as the US Consulate did, how will they handle those that don't know about the system that go in to get their extensions. Is there a procedure to take care of the walk-ins. There really needs to be more information and clarification from immigration. I just happened to find out the new procedure this afternoon on Thai visa post. Thanks again for your reply.

Hello Lifer,

Cheers.

Thanks a lot. I will probably go in next week and check. My concern is that if they have made this mandatory, as the US Consulate did, how will they handle those that don't know about the system that go in to get their extensions. Is there a procedure to take care of the walk-ins. There really needs to be more information and clarification from immigration. I just happened to find out the new procedure this afternoon on Thai visa post. Thanks again for your reply.

I'll be able to tell you how it worked out after Tuesday 2nd August.

Cheers.

I agree. Guess the concern is if they make it mandatory.

If they make it mandatory, I guess the gurus that run Thai Visa will give us all the info in good time.

I'm sure they have their man on the spot right now. wink.gif

Immigration officials could make their lives a lot easier for themselves and everyone else if they did a MUCH better job of informing people of different procedures (and appropriate details) related to at least the more involved visas, such as NI-O and NI-OA visas. There really haven't been many changes for a few years while rumors and misinformation in Chiang Mai are rife. The Chiang Mai forum is full of that sort of thing. Often hard to find the real information. Anyway, this forum shouldn't be the source of it!

Occasionally, an officer might selectively ask for proofs, for example, on pension income. Asking such questions is not a new requirement. Why doesn't Immigration insist that all consulates be provided proofs? Here in Chiang Mai, it is most likely that many Americans now making false affadavits at their consulate would have to come clean and change their financial arrangements somehow. Not to pick on Americans, there have been bank account-shifting games played before by many Japanese expatriates. And all that certainly only begins to touch upon visa games played by expatriates in Chiang Mai.

Regarding information, the web site information could be vastly improved, not that all expatriates have computers but certainly most do. Comprehensive general information can be sussed out after searching various sites, including that of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but details where a lot of people are confused are not at all clear in many instances for the Chiang Mai office, or any office probably. A simple example: Copies of which pages of the passport ? Certainly easy enough to update information.

In addition, the Chiang Mai office could provide additional written information or notice of changes in procedures at the time the initial visa is issued and with 90-day notices in languages the vast number of people speak or read, such as English and Japanese. An appropriate "mix" of languages might be different in different offices.

In my view, the Chiang Mai office has become quite a bit more efficient in the past few years. At the same time, the number of foreigners using the office has no doubt increased significantly. Whether or not appointments in Chiang Mai become mandatory, there are certainly other steps that can be taken to smooth the way. One really doesn't need a lawyer, special help or connections to get the work done. Yes, there can be somewhat tricky in's and out's to work through, but I believe the office has a reputation for trying to be helpful. How calmly they put up with the inappropriate dress, bad attitudes and behavior let alone lack of preparation by many foreigners there is truly astonishing! Anyone care to work there?!

Edited by Mapguy

Lifer, in answer to the above re: printing.

OK, filling out the form is clunky.

The calender obscures the field where data is entered. And if you dont read Thai, you have to intuit dates in future months by counting up from the default, which is the current month.

You find out what to fill in by hitting the "Submit" button, and reading the error message! :whistling:

It sounds like you did not fill out all the fields, as when the form is completed, and all the data has been entered, it takes you to a page that is your final confirmation. The final page is titled "Queue online Card". It has a queue code, the date and time of the scheduled appt, your name and reason. You either print that page, or if no printer save it as a pdf, put it on a flash drive and get it printed elsewhere (as I did).

If you did not see that page, or didn't save it....well I don't know what your chances are when you show up at the appointed time.

Good luck.

If you did not see that page, or didn't save it....well I don't know what your chances are when you show up at the appointed time.

Sounds like a recipe for a lot of anxiety.

Of course if you know exactly what to do, have done it before and it all works.....then it's a piece of cake.

I think reserving one early day a year, until informed otherwise is the best deal.

Sounds like a recipe for a lot of anxiety.

Of course if you know exactly what to do, have done it before and it all works.....then it's a piece of cake.

I think reserving one early day a year, until informed otherwise is the best deal.

Well, I figured out how to navigate this admittedly awful page reservation thing.

Managed to set up and confirm an appt.

Succeeded in printing it out.

And confirmed its validity (as noted above) with the officers at CM Imm.

On the day I went in to confirm the queue reservation validity (about 2 weeks ago)- CM Imm was a huge teeming mob.

Both on the left side, where they have now moved the foreign workers who need to register, and on the other side.

It is almost unbelievable how many people were packed in that room, standing outside, etc.

I think if maybe you get up at 5 AM, get there by 6, stand in the "pre-queue" queue line, get to the ticket machine at 8:30- maybe you are right uptheos, it will all be easy peasy from then on in.

Or one can book the online thing, of course for an earlier date (say a week before the time one would ordinarily do it) and if it doesn't work out, go to the above huge teeming mass of humanity scenario.

Really, the New Delhi railway station is less busy than CM Imm these days.....;)

Well I had a go at it and entered all the information that was asked and pressed submit. I got a English worded message that didn't make sense. The time slot I selected now showed the name I entered. The date I requested remained on the display but all the other information I entered was gone. I made a pdf copy of the display anyway. I never got a "Queue online Card" or a queue code. I closed the window and I returned once again to the date and the time slot was still reserved but without the name. I decided to check if I could cancel my appointment but it asked me for a queue code which of course I never got.

I can't see how this online queue would be required for all visits as there are only 6 1 hour time slots per day. A number of procedures such as 90 day reporting or tourist visa extensions take about 15 minutes to process.

Well, the people that haven't used the online system before are going to have panic attacks until the day they arrive, wondering if everything is OK. That's EVEN if they make a special trip to immigration to check it out first. You're right about the numbers, but as I get up at 6 am anyway, it's no big deal to get there really early once a year.

You're going to need to set your alarm clock. Nowadays, you need to show up at the door of Immigration at 6 am to be one of the first in line. Seriously, I do think people will be camping out overnight by Christmas unless this appointment system really works out. I hope the Immigration officials read this thread and make some changes to their website on what is really a very "good start" at easing some of the crowding at their office.

MAI PHEN RAI!, Nancy L !! How long have you been in Thailand?!

To just be first in line somewhere ?! Unless there are remarkable circumstances, why is it so much better to wait outside before dawn than in?

It seems many farang expect too much exactly when they want it! Are you an American? Probably! Are you living in Chiang Mai? If it is busy one day, then get a ticket for the next. If visiting, enjoy Chiang Mai. If waiting, take a book or a magazine!

Yes, they are busy. Very busy. Not their fault except for the generous hospitality of Thailand for accepting in a very liberal way demanding farang. If reading a book or a magazine doesn't work for you, just watch the carnival of impatient farang, many of whom seem to believe the world was created to serve their every need ! Appalling!

Hope St. Peter doesn't make you wait too long one of these days! But there's probably not so much of a wait there as at the other place where the wait is probably a real "warm up" for things to come!

Are you an American? Probably! Are you living in Chiang Mai? If it is busy one day, then get a ticket for the next.

Yes! Yes. And when did they start issuing tickets for the next day from their machines?

Are you an American? Probably! Are you living in Chiang Mai? If it is busy one day, then get a ticket for the next.

Yes! Yes. And when did they start issuing tickets for the next day from their machines?

Perhaps I misspoke. Thinking more carefully, I have actually heard that they do it for the same day, if you can't be fit in in the morning. Maybe the pre-arranged appointment bit is their way now to provide some relief! I don't really know, but if you live in town, go ask.

I believe they try to accommodate crowds as best they can. Otherwise, you should understand that the real problem is the flood of farang who are spoiled children! Given the growing butt sizes of some Americans, it does sometimes get a little crowded?

Look at it this way. There is really no line except for NI-O and NI-OA visas, including renewals. Want a re-entry permit? Very simple, really, with little wait. Want to do a 90-day report? Very easy and quick to do.

So what's the problem considering the enormous influx of helpless often quite self-centered farang trying to find a cheap paradise?! You should be glad don't have to put up with working there!

Let's see what happens when the American government cuts off citizen services because of the stupid political debate in that country!

Perhaps I misspoke. Thinking more carefully, I have actually heard that they do it for the same day, if you can't be fit in in the morning. Maybe the pre-arranged appointment bit is their way now to provide some relief! I don't really know, but if you live in town, go ask.

I believe they try to accommodate crowds as best they can. Otherwise, you should understand that the real problem is the flood of farang who are spoiled children! Given the growing butt sizes of some Americans, it does sometimes get a little crowded?

Look at it this way. There is really no line except for NI-O and NI-OA visas, including renewals. Want a re-entry permit? Very simple, really, with little wait. Want to do a 90-day report? Very easy and quick to do.

So what's the problem considering the enormous influx of helpless often quite self-centered farang trying to find a cheap paradise?! You should be glad don't have to put up with working there!

Let's see what happens when the American government cuts off citizen services because of the stupid political debate in that country!

Get some sleep!