BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Duangta

25 Churches Now In Khao Lak

25 churches opened after the tsunami in the Khao Lak area according to a christian missionary from Nam Khem. I spoke to him a week ago and he openly admitted that there is heavy competition. "The Thais recognise the different christian organisations as divided and unharmonious, nothing they typically like to have in their own religious culture".

Anybody knows of different figures?

I started collecting stories of how the Thai-Buddhist tsunami victims become christians; as it is all more or less gossip I gave it up. But there are some good ones. I.e.

" I want to become a christian in your church, but my shelter is so far away, I can not come everyday. I have a motorbike, but can't pay it off, so the dealer took it back. If you could help me with the last payment." No last payment was done, but the future christian was given a brand new motorbike, including petrol money to come to the mess and attend Bible lesson. For participating in the service he recieved additional "salary" as a compensation for lost working hours.

:o

jesus christ !! , they are more generous than tony blairs government when it comes believing sob stories and giving handouts.

the place will be full of brits soon seeking beer money and some redemption.

Gentleman scamp. How right you are. I thouroughly disagree with missionaries. They are conceited and misguided (in my opinion). Although I am atheist I can see how people need a belief but god is god is god is god. Too many arguements and conflicts arise and the bottom line seems to be religion. Leave people to their own beliefs don't change or try to change them. :o

Did hear some very angelic choruses in Khao Lak over the Xmas period but no idea where the songs were coming from... I guess you will just have to go there yourself if you really want to know... :o

Okay, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, I would just ask you to apply the same logic to the following as you have just applied to the above.

Here in Liverpool UK we have local buddists who invite people to their meetings. They go out and help the homeless, they invited people who are lonely at Christmas to come along and have a meal in the company - and, I'm sure, doing many other works...

Now let's apply the above logic...

F**king buddists getting people when they are down, keep Britain Christian, we need their religion like we need their spicy food...

Makes more sense now, doesn't it?

Watching a piece on BBC, lot of churches in UK only have 20-30 people in their flock who attend every sunday. Heaps of churches are closing - seems to me religion is becoming less and less important to most people these days or they have come to the conclusion one doesn't need church for individual worship?

Edited by britmaveric

Okay, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, I would just ask you to apply the same logic to the following as you have just applied to the above.

Here in Liverpool UK we have local buddists who invite people to their meetings.  They go out and help the homeless, they invited people who are lonely at Christmas to come along and have a meal in the company - and, I'm sure, doing many other works...

F**king buddists getting people when they are down, keep Britain Christian, we need their religion like we need their spicy food...

Thai laws guarantee the freedom of religion. So regardless of whether they build churches, wats, mosques, or whatever, it's up to the individuals who or what they wish to worship. Christianity has never supplanted buddhism in any majority buddhist country yet, and I suspect it never will.

cv

Guest endure

Here in Liverpool UK we have local buddists who invite people to their meetings.  They go out and help the homeless, they invited people who are lonely at Christmas to come along and have a meal in the company - and, I'm sure, doing many other works...

Do those Buddhists actually try and convert anyone to Buddhism? Do they hand out free motocy so you can get to the temple?

Do those Buddhists actually try and convert anyone to Buddhism?

They didn't set up missions abroad to get access to better TV :o

Conversion isn't such a big thing, but spreading the dhama is important. Tolerance isn't just for non-white non-christians. It's supposed to be for everybody. Unfortunately political correctness has led people into thinking that its not ok to criticise any religion, except christians it seems.

cv

Conversion isn't such a big thing, but spreading the dhama is important. Tolerance isn't just for non-white non-christians. It's supposed to be for everybody. Unfortunately political correctness has led people into thinking that its not ok to criticise any religion, except christians it seems.

cv

I was saving my first post for something special! Think I found it here. Just wanted to agree with you and thank you for saying what you did.

Not sure either why people feel so comfortable saying people's bad behaviour is down to their religion. It's no longer PC to say it's down to their skin colour (and quite right too).

Surely people's bad behaviour is down to their choice to behave badly. If they, or anyone else, wants to blame religion (or skin colour, or nationality, or anything else) that's just that person looking for something to blame.

What is it about human nature that means we want something to blame???

Edited by Lilyflower

Guest endure

cv

I have no probs with Christians, cv. It's my personal opinion that there are no finer people in the world than members of the Salvation Army who DO manage to give aid and comfort on a regular basis without ever talking about religion to the recipients of that aid. Did you know that the only organisation (apart from the police & fire brigade) that was allowed through the cordons when London was bombed on 7/7 was the Sally Army? Heroes to a man & woman. On the other hand I despise any religion which uses disaster as a way of recruiting more adherents.

Do those Buddhists actually try and convert anyone to Buddhism? Do they hand out free motocy so you can get to the temple?

I don't know about the Buddists in Britian buut here in the states where I live Tibetean Buddists set up a learning center and they were invited in by a local group that supported the Free Tibet movement. They have not walked around the city as I am sure they feel uncomfortable, many of the buddists I have met here have said that the locals give them funny or bad looks so they tend to stay indoors. But anyone is welcome to enter the center and be apart of it. So, I have never seen Buddists on a recruitment drive.

Watching a piece on BBC, lot of churches in UK only have 20-30 people in their flock who attend every sunday. Heaps of churches are closing - seems to me religion is becoming less and less important to most people these days or they have come to the conclusion one doesn't need church for individual worship?

Witherspoons are managing to pack out the closed ones very well.

Are Christians really good or are they doing it to impress god and secure their reward in heaven?

I know plenty of non religious people who are simply kind and good because that's how they are naturally.