Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

On 6/4/2020 at 1:59 PM, samtab said:

hello, my kefir is more liquid than creamy and I do not like to drink creamy kefir, is it wrong ?

i brew it mostly in the fridge and keep it out only few hours a day.

Everybody is talking about creamy kefir as if it was a rule, but i think liquid kefir is easier to drink, just wondering if it contains all the bacteria ?

of course it is sour (more than some of the creamy kefir that i tried) and I am ok with it.

please confirm that it is ok to drink liquid kefir ? thank you so much.

You are doing it right. As long as it is very sour, it is good. It doesn't really matter if it is thick or thin. To get kefir as thin (liquid) as possible, brew it until no more kefir whey separates in the jar. Keep it out in the heat longer and stir often. You should be able to brew it until the jar is 50/50 whey/curds. Leave some space at the top of the jar or it will end up leaking all over the bench as the whey pushes the curds up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2011 at 8:11 PM, tropo said:

I posted about kefir in the Pattaya forum. To my surprise there was no interest from anyone in that forum however I did get some interest from people in other areas of Thailand and posted some off.

I have a surplus as it grows fairly quickly in this warm climate. For anyone interested in starting their own kefir production, I have grains to give away.

please forgive my ignorance .

but what are kafir grains? I am familiar with Kaffir limes and the leaves we use in soup  but not familiar with kafir grains 

I tried googling it but it was confusing, Is it a fungus  you grow? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I disagree because you are wrong !

Who decided that kefir needs to be thick ? this is idiot.

If your milk with kefir grains is sour, it means that it it kefir milk ! nothing else !

Yes my kefir is also not creamy but it is very sour and it is the proof that kefir has been eating lactose ! try to prove otherwise ?

My kefir is always in the fridge and it's not bitter at all, this is pure BS.

yes my kefir is very very sour by keeping it in the fridge and adding new milk everyday, and only low fat milk.

You should try to think instead of repeating what is written and repeated by idiots all over the world ! Did they experience anything ? of course not !

Most people are just like you, drinking daily kefir since 10 years and not even knowing this !

You cannot brew kefir overnight in the refrigerator. You will have a very limited lactose to lactic acid conversion which requires temperatures above 15c. Please don't come in to this long running thread, despelling nonsense and flaming.

The only point you are correct on is that is doesn't matter if the kefir is thick or thin, but the thinness should come from producing kefir whey, not from pure, unfermented milk. What you're drinking is partially brewed kefir, with emphasis on partially as most of it is still milk.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

I realise 

Thank you for the spelling correction, but I still don't know what it is.

But at the very least , when at parties I would be able to impress everyone with my new found spelling prowess :tongue:

And you still don't have google, right ?

People...

• Haha 2

Hello,

After reading this, now I am confused ?!

Should Kefir be thick or not ?

Why is it thick and why it is not ?

It seems that the only thing that is correct is that it must be sour, ok, but what does it mean when it is not ?!

And is it true that in Thailand 6 hours daily at room temperature then the rest in the fridge is ok ?

thanks healthy guys !

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2020 at 8:46 AM, gamesgplayemail said:

Thanks again.

As I do not want to keep kefir milk in advance I want to do it everyday, and it's not difficult to keep it out of the fridge just before sleeping.

So you confirm that spending half day in the fridge everyday is not bad and that I will have kefir milk to drink daily ?

And if some days I am not here, kefir in the fridge won't brew or separate too fast, is it correct ? I will be able to put it out of fridge and drink it 12 hours later ?

Actually the separation process is not very clear, can you tell me if it just means that I waited too long to drink the milk ? But still I can drink the clear liquid after separation and put the floating grains (as I have seen in video) in new milk ?

Can I know what happens here ?!

• Haha 2

On 6/8/2020 at 7:41 PM, sirineou said:

I realise 

Thank you for the spelling correction, but I still don't know what it is.

But at the very least , when at parties I would be able to impress everyone with my new found spelling prowess :tongue:

This is the strangest place for troll posts. 

On 6/9/2020 at 12:36 AM, scoupeo said:

Can I know what happens here ?

The kefir grains have converted lactose (milk sugar) to lactic acid. The resultant lactic acid has caused the milk to separate into curds and whey. The further you let this process continue, the thinner your kefir will be. The photo shows about the maximum level of separation. The clear fluid is called kefir whey and it is not very sour. If you let this process proceed too quickly, then the kefir will not be very sour. 

The most important thing to do is to stir often. This increases lactose to lactic acid conversion and slows down separation, yielding a thicker and sourer finished product. It's hard to remember, so I use a timer to remind me to stir at least once an hour. If you're going out for some hours, it's best to pop it into the refrigerator until you return. If you don't, it could be completely separated when you get home. I also leave it in the refrigerator while sleeping. The most important thing is it's sourness, not thickness. It needs to be very, very sour. My kefir approaches the sourness of a squeezed lemon.

If your kefir still tastes a bit sweet after it has separated, not to worry. Put it in the fridge for a couple of days and stir often. It will sour up and thicken up too.

Good luck!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tropo said:

This is the strangest place for troll posts. 

It is not  a troll post at all. I asked a honest question. to which I did not receive an honest answer. 

If anything I was trolled at by an answer that did not answer my question but instead endeavor to point out the difference between the words KEFIR,and Kaffir even though in my question i indicated that I knew the two thing were different but did not know how. I said :

"please forgive my ignorance .

but what are kafir grains? I am familiar with Kaffir limes and the leaves we use in soup  but not familiar with kafir grains 

I tried googling it but it was confusing, Is it a fungus  you grow "

I even was polite enough to ask  forgives for my ignorance. a courtesy  not returned to me. Yet you have the nerve to accuse me of being a Troll. 

Then another smart ass poster endeavor to  accuse me of laziness  for not googling it, 

" And you still don't have google, right ?

People..."

even though I clearly said in my post "I tried googling it but it was confusing, Is it a fungus  you grow? "

So to all above I say "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones" . and urge you all to apply as much effort in your reading skills as you do in Kafir grain growing . What ever it is.

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2020 at 6:05 PM, sirineou said:

It is not  a troll post at all. I asked a honest question. to which I did not receive an honest answer. 

If anything I was trolled at by an answer that did not answer my question but instead endeavor to point out the difference between the words KEFIR,and Kaffir even though in my question i indicated that I knew the two thing were different but did not know how. I said :

"please forgive my ignorance .

I tried googling it but it was confusing, Is it a fungus  you grow "

I even was polite enough to ask  forgives for my ignorance. a courtesy  not returned to me. Yet you have the nerve to accuse me of being a Troll. 

Then another smart ass poster endeavor to  accuse me of laziness  for not googling it, 

" And you still don't have google, right ?

People..."

even though I clearly said in my post "I tried googling it but it was confusing, Is it a fungus  you grow? "

So to all above I say "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones" . and urge you all to apply as much effort in your reading skills as you do in Kafir grain growing . What ever it is.

The spelling correction was all you required to search for 1000's of articles, listed on a Google search (or Bing or any other search engine).

This thread assumes readers already know what kefir is and was started in 2011 to help people find them. Find out what they are, then if you have specific questions about brewing it or need to find them, don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 11:51 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

yes if it is sour it contains the bacteria, SURELY !

It surely will, just as yoghurt, sour milk and buttermilk have bacteria. That doesn't make it kefir. Milk will sour on its own without any external bacterial seeding.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a very helpful thread, I've managed to get about a third of the way through (going backwards) so far, but to get back to the subject as in the heading; where can I get some grains to get started?

(I'm in Chiang Mai).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 12:53 AM, SePl said:

Hola, I am also drinking kefir but wonder what to do now that i have too many grains ? should i freeze the ones that i don't need ? or do you just throw them ? Cheers.

Freeze them for backup stock, and eat the rest. You can also make a smoothy with them. What about helping out your fellow humans on this thread that are looking for them? You could give them away, but do not destroy them - that's a crime.

• Like 1