Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

You got white fingers, i get less and less grains now every time, so i wonder if the grains demand some kind of frequency, how often do you make kefir ?

I covered this already in post #41. I don't want to repeat it all again here, but if your grains are not increasing they are probably dying. I've heard from other people who went well for a year and then the grains slowly died.

It seems they cannot handle hot weather brewing indefinitely. I think 30C is the number you should not exceed. Follow my method in post #41 and I'm sure your grains will improve.... and freeze some as back up in case yours die.

Oh, yes... and I do get "white fingers". I didn't get white fingers in the days I made kefir daily though - that only started when I started resting the grains in the fridge for weeks at a time.

Edited by tropo

I think I may have discovered a reason why some people don't get much increase in kefir grain volume.

Previously I used a coarse stainless steel strainer, but for the last 18 months I've been using a finer nylon strainer. Last night I decided to use my old stainless steel strainer again and I noticed after straining there were lots of tiny lumps (seeds) in the strained kefir.

Kefir grains only grow to a certain size, so the increase in volume over time comes from the continuous formation of new grains. These new grains start as tiny seeds, so by using a coarse strainer you're actually discarding (drinking) the newly formed seeds and slowing down the formation of new grains.

I would suggest being patient with a finer strainer to ensure you're not discarding seeds.

I also believe that when you brew in high temperatures (normal Thailand temps) the size of the grains becomes smaller, making it easier to strain away newly formed seeds. I read on Dom's site about how high brewing temperatures can cause eventual death of the grains (in summer in temperate climates). This maybe due to the grains becoming much smaller in higher temperatures and people are literally straining them away. You may have noticed if you've surfed the web and watched some kefir making videos that people with large grains use coarse strainers and the straining process takes seconds. It takes me several minutes to strain mine in a fine nylon mesh strainer. We can't grow large grains in this climate.

Edited by tropo

As a matter of fact i DO not wait at all,

i use a tool to press it through the fine stainless strainer.

I also leave it in fridge with no new milk for a month or more when i'm not into drinking.

Edited by poanoi

As a matter of fact i DO not wait at all,

i use a tool to press it through the fine stainless strainer.

I also leave it in fridge with no new milk for a month or more when i'm not into drinking.

I wouldn't recommend pressing it through a strainer. Where did you get that idea?

You could be leaving it too long. A month or more may be pushing it a bit, and do you make enough batches between rests to get them up to full speed? For example I make about 5 litres between rests.

... also, why do you stop drinking it?

Edited by tropo

Since it would stop leaking through at a point, i had to stir until it went down,

or the strainer would flood over.

The 2nd and 3rd questions are linked, i dont drink all that much,

i guess almost 3 weeks since i had a sip, and think what i made is now bad and will throw it away.

It did work best at beginning, when i did several small batches it multiplied quickly,

but when i tried repeat that again several months later, it wouldnt work,

so i suspect its the straining procedure i introduced

Edited by poanoi

Since it would stop leaking through at a point, i had to stir until it went down,

or the strainer would flood over.

The 2nd and 3rd questions are linked, i dont drink all that much,

i guess almost 3 weeks since i had a sip, and think what i made is now bad and will throw it away.

It did work best at beginning, when i did several small batches it multiplied quickly,

but when i tried repeat that again several months later, it wouldnt work,

so i suspect its the straining procedure i introduced

I gently move the grains around in the strainer with a large plastic spoon until the fluid works its way through. If I have a big batch I'll have to do it twice. The liquid is quite thick, so it does take awhile if the strainer mesh is fine. You don't have to get rid of all the fluid adhering to the grains. If you leave some on it will speed up your next batch.

Always make sure you stir the mixture well before you strain. I don't know how long the drinking kefir will keep in the fridge, but after 3 weeks it should still be ok. I often keep it for 3 weeks or more as I make about 5 litres before I put my grains away for a rest. A quick taste test should tell you if it is still ok.

I would say most people give up after awhile. One guy I gave grains to reckoned it was hard work and threw them out. This is one reason I'm not giving kefir away anymore - people just don't appreciate something that is free. It's a bit like gym. Maybe 1 guy out of 10 keeps it up. Even the guy who gave me my first grains over 2 years ago gave up. If you're reading this, you know who you are. biggrin.png

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Hi Tropo and others. I have just quickly glanced here and will read more detail later. But bottom line is how can friends in BKK most easily get kefir grains. I started a club in CNX before I left the area and brought in lots of grains and now the are growing nicely in many homes up there (both milk and water.

Now I have suddenly gotten some urgent requests from people with health issues in BKK. Maybe answer is here already and I will find later, but just now I am late for a healing therapy.

wai2.gif

I just found this thread about kefir and I am delighted! I brought some kefir grains back from Penang last April---got them from a friend there, and I've been enjoying making kefir ever since. I've shared extra grains with one friend so far, but I have more in my freezer to share. I live in the Taweewatana area of Bangkok, but I do go into the city most weekends. Let me know if you are still looking for grains.

Hi Tropo and others. I have just quickly glanced here and will read more detail later. But bottom line is how can friends in BKK most easily get kefir grains. I started a club in CNX before I left the area and brought in lots of grains and now the are growing nicely in many homes up there (both milk and water.

Now I have suddenly gotten some urgent requests from people with health issues in BKK. Maybe answer is here already and I will find later, but just now I am late for a healing therapy.

wai2.gif

I just found this thread about kefir and I am delighted! I brought some kefir grains back from Penang last April---got them from a friend there, and I've been enjoying making kefir ever since. I've shared extra grains with one friend so far, but I have more in my freezer to share. I live in the Taweewatana area of Bangkok, but I do go into the city most weekends. Let me know if you are still looking for grains.

wai2.gif

• 2 months later...

I am in BKK and looking to make my own Kefir and Kombucha. If anyone has Kefir grains for milk and/or a Kombucha Scoby I can pick up in Bangkok I would really appreciate it. I can meet you anywhere at your convenience. If you can help me out please send me a PM. Thanks in advance.

Anyone in Chiang Mai interested in some kefir grains? I bought some in Australia recently, and they've grown nicely, and survived the trip to Chiang Mai and doing very well.

I did contact someone here about this, but have lost his user name.

I'm using pastuerised full-cream milk, from the thai-Danish dairy opposite the Zoo.

Anyone in Chiang Mai interested in some kefir grains? I bought some in Australia recently, and they've grown nicely, and survived the trip to Chiang Mai and doing very well.

I did contact someone here about this, but have lost his user name.

I'm using pastuerised full-cream milk, from the thai-Danish dairy opposite the Zoo.

Are you selling them or giving them away? How much did you pay for them in Australia?

People seem to get upset when you charge for kefir grains, as though there's some unspoken law about how they must be free.

I disagree. I've given away lots, but I don't anymore. I've found that people who get them for free are quite likely to throw them away, as though they have little value.

Now I only give grains to personal friends. All others pay. The whole idea of giving grains to strangers was a silly idea.

Back in the early days in the Caucasus region, where all kefir grains originate, they were treasured and not given away. The Russians had to jump through hoops to get their first grains and they spread around the world from there.

Now people are expecting it for free and even get upset if you charge for postage.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some from a kefir dealer in Australia 3 weeks ago, and they're doing nicely here in Chiang Mai.

I've just given away half and anyone in Chiang Mai wanting some, let me know a few days beforehand and I'll get 'em working hard!

I bought some from a kefir dealer in Australia 3 weeks ago, and they're doing nicely here in Chiang Mai.

I've just given away half and anyone in Chiang Mai wanting some, let me know a few days beforehand and I'll get 'em working hard!

• 2 weeks later...

yes. probably enough to split 3 ways.

send me a private message for my phone number

How much is "enough" for you? I like to keep a stock of at least 400 grams for my own use as I make large batches. A grain/milk ratio of 1/5 or 1/4 is ideal.

Edited by tropo

I forgot to mention - I'd be happy to pay via Paypal for the hassle and postage cost of sending or cash in person if it is convenient for me to come and pick them up.

I've been drinking and making Kefir milk and water for 3 years in the UK and had perfect digestion and now three months in LOS with no Kefir my stomach is not very happy at all! So I would be very very grateful :)

I'd also welcome any links if anyone has had success purchasing from outside Thailand via mailorder.

thanks again

Before I try to obtain some Kefir, what kind of milk is required to be used? I live off of Pattaya Klang, so I do not have access to fresh dairy milk. If I cannot get the milk nearby, I might as well not try. Not going to take a taxi frequently for milk :/

Thanks in advance for any advice to this post :)

• Like 1

Before I try to obtain some Kefir, what kind of milk is required to be used? I live off of Pattaya Klang, so I do not have access to fresh dairy milk. If I cannot get the milk nearby, I might as well not try. Not going to take a taxi frequently for milk :/

Thanks in advance for any advice to this post :)

Thanks in advance for any advice to this post smile.png

You live near Pattaya Klang but you can't find fresh milk? That's a weird statement because there must be 100 places "off of Pattaya Klang" where you can buy fresh milk....24 hours a day.

...however any milk will do. When I'm in the Philippines I have to use UHT milk. Kefir grains feed on is lactose... they don't really care what type of milk it is. You could even reconstitute powdered milk and use that.

My preference here in Pattaya is zero fat milk, but you can use full fat, low fat - anything

If you're too lazy to get milk frequently, you can make some large batches and then refrigerate the grains for a week or two in between batches. That's what I do.

Edited by tropo

I forgot to mention - I'd be happy to pay via Paypal for the hassle and postage cost of sending or cash in person if it is convenient for me to come and pick them up.

I've been drinking and making Kefir milk and water for 3 years in the UK and had perfect digestion and now three months in LOS with no Kefir my stomach is not very happy at all! So I would be very very grateful smile.png

I'd also welcome any links if anyone has had success purchasing from outside Thailand via mailorder.

thanks again

This place has a wide range of yoghurts in dry powder form. In fact freeze-dried but they don't need freezing until you get home home and I store mine in the deep freeze to extend their shelf life.

http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/yoghurt_culture.html

I've been making a mix of Greek yoghurt as well as kefir yoghurt from their cultures. In addition, I'm making kefir yoghurt from grains.

There is at least one cheese maker in Thailand who collects fresh cheese culture from this company, and no complaints I'm told.

Here in Chiang Mai we have a Thai-Danish dairy, and I buy full cream pasteurised milk from them once a week for household use and yoghurt making.

I can recommend the green living yoghurt suppliers, but don't know how long it would take for a small packet of culture to get to Thailand. I brought mine back with me.

If anyone has "milk" kefir grain, I'd appreciate if you could share. I'm in no big hurry, which means if you see this post six months from now, I'm probably still interested. I live in the Old Town area of Chiang Mai.

Thanks!

Edited by connda