Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

Thanks Tropo. I was unsure if ANY milk was okay. The vibe I got online seemed to be straight from the cows udders. As long as Foremost™ is okay, I'll be getting my containers ready!! I'll be on the lookout for grains soon : )

Yep, those grains aren't too fussy. I wouldn't run around looking for a cow to milk.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

Thanks for the grains Morning Glory!!! Very much appreciated. thumbsup.gif

You're welcome, athousand.

Now if we could just find some water grains....does anyone in the Bangkok area have water grains to share?

I did read on here that someone found them in Chiang Mai. I don't recall who. If you can't find any, buy them online from Dom in Australia.

Thanks for the grains Morning Glory!!! Very much appreciated. thumbsup.gif

You're welcome, athousand.

Now if we could just find some water grains....does anyone in the Bangkok area have water grains to share?

I did read on here that someone found them in Chiang Mai. I don't recall who. If you can't find any, buy them online from Dom in Australia.

Thanks Tropo...I'll keep that in mind.

Edited by morning glory

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all,

I have just found this forum and must say I am delighted to find others using Kefir. I lost my Kefir grains during my move into a new house. The glass jar was dropped on the road and it was a terrible seen. It wasw a sad day when I lost my kefir grains. Anyways, today I found this sight and saw that Memeber "Morning Glory" has them and live in Taweewattana. I am hoping you would have some more to share or even sell as I live here in Taweewattana as well. I thank you in advance for any help you may provide as I am really missing my morning kefir.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

really would like to have Kefir mushrooms, to take care of some kidney problems.

I’m living in Samui.

If you have some, Will it be possible to send it?

If not can find a way to pick it up.

Many thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I'm new to TV and kefir fermentation but am excited to explore both more in depth. I see this post has been going on for years now but I wanted to ask if anyone has grains to give away in Bangkok? I live in the Thong Lor area and would be happy to travel or send money for posting. From the bit of research I've done, I think I'd like to use water kefir grains in coconut water, but am also equally happy to try milk kefir in coconut milk (I try to avoid dairy as much as possible). Thanks so much for any help offered!

Hi All, I'm new to TV and kefir fermentation but am excited to explore both more in depth. I see this post has been going on for years now but I wanted to ask if anyone has grains to give away in Bangkok? I live in the Thong Lor area and would be happy to travel or send money for posting. From the bit of research I've done, I think I'd like to use water kefir grains in coconut water, but am also equally happy to try milk kefir in coconut milk (I try to avoid dairy as much as possible). Thanks so much for any help offered!

The reason most people try to avoid dairy is because they are lactose intolerant. The only other reason I can think of would be some allergy to milk protein, which is rare. What's your reason for avoiding it?

There is no lactose left in fully fermented kefir. The kefir grains feed on the lactose.

• Like 1

The reason most people try to avoid dairy is because they are lactose intolerant. The only other reason I can think of would be some allergy to milk protein, which is rare. What's your reason for avoiding it?

There is no lactose left in fully fermented kefir. The kefir grains feed on the lactose.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have found that my body has adverse reactions to dairy, mostly inflammation, and made the assumption that this could be the case if taking milk kefir regularly. I will have to do a bit more research into it. I've considered using coconut milk, but again, have not done my homework to see if this is a viable option.

This seems to be a great community with many great minds, so I will definitely come back if I have any more questions as well as posting if I have kefir to share- many thanks to Morning Glory for offering to share hers with me.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have found that my body has adverse reactions to dairy, mostly inflammation, and made the assumption that this could be the case if taking milk kefir regularly. I will have to do a bit more research into it. I've considered using coconut milk, but again, have not done my homework to see if this is a viable option.

This seems to be a great community with many great minds, so I will definitely come back if I have any more questions as well as posting if I have kefir to share- many thanks to Morning Glory for offering to share hers with me.

This is a common misconception about milk kefir. People who cannot normally handle lactose can drink milk kefir. It would be important to run the brewing process to it's full conclusion to ensure all the lactose has been "eaten" by the kefir grains. Regular stirring will help this process. This will produce a drink of maximum sourness.

If you wish to make kefir from coconut milk you will need to get water kefir grains otherwise known as SKG.

Here's some info on those:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#alternativekefir

If you're in Chiang Mai, I can help you with Kefir Grains.

Thanks, Masuk, but I'm located in Bangkok. Appreciate the offer, though.

I've downloaded a book to my Kindle (How to Make Kefir - A Beginngers Guide, $5) and look forward to learning all about kefir so I can start my own experimentation.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind responses.

If you're in Chiang Mai, I can help you with Kefir Grains.

Thanks, Masuk, but I'm located in Bangkok. Appreciate the offer, though.

I've downloaded a book to my Kindle (How to Make Kefir - A Beginngers Guide, $5) and look forward to learning all about kefir so I can start my own experimentation.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind responses.

There really is no need to experiment. It's an extremely basic and easy process.

As has been linked many times before, the following site will teach you everything you need to know about kefir and more - and it's free!!

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html#Utensils

You won't find anything about kefir anywhere else that isn't covered there.

... and then go back on this thread as there are some important considerations in a hot tropical climate - which have been covered here. The kefir grains will die if exposed to too much heat or heat over 30C for extended periods of time... which is a typical room temp for most of the year in Thailand.

FREEZE SOME FOR BACKUP!!

Also, you won't ever get large grains like you see on the internet from people who live in temperate climates.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Hi tropo,

The University I work at (Prince of Songkhla University) is interested to get some Kefir grain to culture for educational purpose.
Actually I have been trying to get my hand on the Kefit grain (for culture) and to try it, heard it's good for health and some alcohol in it.

Would appreciate if you would share it with me.

You're not wrong! The ones you gave me last week have already doubled in volume.

Will PM you later to let you know how it's going.

There doesn't seem to be many people in Pattaya interested in kefir. You're the only person in Pattaya who wanted free grains. I'll have to start eating them instead lol.

Think I might have a go at doing the water Kefir as well or having a look to see what else can be made with the grains as I'm the only one that likes it so going to have far too much soon!

Make sprouted breadSent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wish I'd found this thread two months ago...

I'm another one looking for grains, which I'm happy to pay for or pick up. I'm in Pattaya, and mobile -- I'll do all the work! Also not a stranger to kefir (mine is in the freezer in Beijing), but I happen to be here much longer than intended, and would like to keep up the habit...

Thanks!

Eric

I have some issues with lactose intolerance even after I have left the milk and kefir mixture for 36 hours there is still lactose in it.

I read an article on kefir that suggested to reduce the lactose after you have done the fermentation and separated the kefir grains from the kefir mix you should leave the mix at room temperature for 3 to 6 days to reduce all the lactose.

I am not sure whether this would work or not and whether it is practical in Thailand given the room temperatures.

Any comments guys?

I have some issues with lactose intolerance even after I have left the milk and kefir mixture for 36 hours there is still lactose in it.

I read an article on kefir that suggested to reduce the lactose after you have done the fermentation and separated the kefir grains from the kefir mix you should leave the mix at room temperature for 3 to 6 days to reduce all the lactose.

I am not sure whether this would work or not and whether it is practical in Thailand given the room temperatures.

Any comments guys?

Never mind how long you leave it - but how much separation do you have at the end? I can get up to about 1/3 of the jar.

That idea about leaving the mix at room temperature for 3 to 6 days suggests that they didn't leave the mixture to ferment long enough in the first place.

You'd be better off stirring it regularly near the end of the cycle, because it's the kefir grains which digest the lactose. Why take them out and slow this process down?

Any comments guys?

Never mind how long you leave it - but how much separation do you have at the end? I can get up to about 1/3 of the jar.

That idea about leaving the mix at room temperature for 3 to 6 days suggests that they didn't leave the mixture to ferment long enough in the first place.

You'd be better off stirring it regularly near the end of the cycle, because it's the kefir grains which digest the lactose. Why take them out and slow this process down?

Yep I think I will try that.

BTW That organic milk from NZ I got in Villa makes a much nicer kefir. You should try it.

I compared the two batches in a side to side test and the organic milk kefir far superior in taste.

Any comments guys?

BTW That organic milk from NZ I got in Villa makes a much nicer kefir. You should try it.

I compared the two batches in a side to side test and the organic milk kefir far superior in taste.

How much do they charge for it? What sizes does it come in?

Any comments guys?

How much do they charge for it? What sizes does it come in?

1 litre carton is 120baht.

I am going to try and make some kefir cheese this week. Have you ever tried it?

1 litre carton is 120baht.

I am going to try and make some kefir cheese this week. Have you ever tried it?

No, I haven't made cheese. I did try kefir cottage cheese that Mama Kefir makes (Town in town near Foodland), but I didn't like it much as it's very sour and I don't like my cottage cheese sour.

• Like 1

Any comments guys?

It's so hot in Thailand, I have to make mine in the fridge.

Outside the fridge, it's finished after about 2 hours.

Inside the fridge, it takes about 3 days.

Tastes the same either way, but I can't drink it fast enough if I do it outside the fridge.

I'm using a course sticky rice bag to filter, plenty of small grains left in the drink after filtering, the process never stops until all the lactose is used.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Any comments guys?

It's so hot in Thailand, I have to make mine in the fridge.

Outside the fridge, it's finished after about 2 hours.

Inside the fridge, it takes about 3 days.

Tastes the same either way, but I can't drink it fast enough if I do it outside the fridge.

I'm using a course sticky rice bag to filter, plenty of small grains left in the drink after filtering, the process never stops until all the lactose is used.

I've been making it in Thailand for nearly 3 years, and it's never done in 2 hours. The quickest was about 8 hours, but it depends on how much grain you're using. Your grain/milk ratio must be too high.

Its far too slow doing it in the fridge and the process will not complete properly. If you have small grains left in the drink your filter is too coarse.

Kefir grains are of abslutely no value whastsoever - detox is a myth. Any benefits barren purely psychological and temporary.

Save time and money and eat a balanced diet.

Troll off back under the bridge from where you came.

• Like 1

Sorry, still new at posting... I agree, it sounds like a troll attempting to get the Kefir Community up in arms. Why else post a comment like that in a thread like this?

I'd like to report back to tell everyone that making Kefir milk has been a smashing success over the last week. It's so easy and I'm already feeling better and like my digestion is back on track. Thanks for the support and input and a big THANKS to Morning Glory for sharing her grains and knowledge. I hope to have enough soon to start sharing with friends in Bangkok. I've also really gotten into learning more about Kefir and fermentation in general. It's so fascinating to learn about all the ways to ferment things.

Thanks again and keep on fermenting!

• Like 2