Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

Kefir grains are of abslutely no value whastsoever - detox is a myth. Any benefits barren purely psychological and temporary.

Save time and money and eat a balanced diet.

Absolute nonsense. There's untold benefits to drinking kefir. "Balanced diet"?? ...give us a break. That concept is meaningless. It's a joke that goes back decades.

Edited by tropo
  • Haha 1

Kefir grains are of abslutely no value whastsoever - detox is a myth. Any benefits barren purely psychological and temporary.

Save time and money and eat a balanced diet.

Absolute nonsense. There's untold benefits to drinking kefir.

Balanced diet"?? ...give us a break. That concept is meaningless. It's a joke that goes back decades.

Sorry but you are quite deluded...obsessive even?

You do realise that thecsortbof "probiotic" bacteria that are so popular are basically just a constituent of cow poo?

Edited by francescoassisi

From the article above.....

What's the harm, one might ask. Well, in this case, Kefir is not being promoted simply as a nutritious food (which it might very well be), like cheese or yogurt. Purveyors are making health claims about this product. Some patients suffering from symptoms like chronic abdominal pain, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, nausea, fatigue, colon cancer, herpes, and ADHD are listening in, and buying it. This can cause unsafe delays in actually working up, diagnosing, and treating potentially dangerous illnesses. It can also foster a false sense of security in a patient who believes he is adequately protecting himself or others from the effects of a serious infection when in fact it isn't true.

In summary, there is no reliable evidence that Kefir is anything more than a (moderately disgusting) food. The patient with the Kefir turned out to have a Helicobacter pylori infection which I treated with antibiotics and an acid reducing medication.

Those duped by the hype around kefir might benefit from reading this,

http://skepticemia.blogspot.com/2010/07/kefir-mythology.html

You're the one who's been duped. You've taken the word of one guy who obviously has a problem with it and decided he's the worldwide authority on kefir.

I suggest you read this whole thread. You'll find that actual health claims by members here are few and far between. I've been using it for nearly 3 years and my digestive system works like a dream. Not bad for a guy in his 50's. Such was not the case pre-kefir.

I'm not suggesting that kefir will cure diseases, but it's certainly worth a go.

Now please, go away. We don't want to turn this thread into an argument over the benefits (or not) of kefir. This thread is about helping people to procure it. If you want to argue about the health benefits of kefir, start your own thread.

Note: this post was made under the influence of kefir - I'm actually sipping it while typing this out.biggrin.png

Don't feed the troll.

His inane posts should be ignored.

I drink Kefir, agree that it is disgusting.

Am not convinced of any health benefits, but when I get the runs, a couple of glasses seem to sort it out PDQ.

That's a bit of a contradiction. On the one hand you're not convinced of any health benefits - then you say it fixes your diarrhea. I would say that's a significant health beneifit. That's a lot better than taking antibiotics, Imodium and other assorted drugs. It's actually an amazing revelation that it can kill the nasty bacteria causing your runs. If it can do that, it would seem a fair assumption that it can keep your gut healthy.

I'm now able to eat food that gave me diarrhea before such as Thai curries (all colours). clap2.gif I really like Thai curries.

Kefir is not a "disgusting" tasting beverage. It has a very sour, clean taste. Even if you're not into sour it wouldn't be fair to call it disgusting. If you want to taste disgusting, try some of my 12 ingredient vegetable juices.smile.png

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tropo,

Thanks for your post about Kefir.

I have recentely discovered all about the amazing bacterias that help us to digest.

Without them what would we be ?

And very recent amazing researches are on the way.

Do you still have kefir to share now ?

I go to Big C south Pattaya almost everyday. I live in Jomtien.

I would be so happy to start kefir soon.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi there, great to find a thread on Kefir. I've read a lot on the incredible benefits of probiotics and in particular Kefir. I came across this thread via google, so it's my first post on Thai visa. I live in Samui and would be very grateful if someone could send me some kefir grains to start, or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Here's a good idea for anyone finding the daily grind of making kefir too much.

I'm always looking for easier ways, and this is the best:

I take between 500 and 700 grams of kefir grains (depending on how much stock I have) and dump them in a big bucket with 6 litres of milk. After about 24 hours it is done. I now have enough kefir to drink for nearly 3 weeks (300 ml per day) and store the grains in milk until I need them again in 3 weeks time. I strain the grains before I use them and drink what I've strained off which after 3 weeks is drinkable kefir even at refrigerated temperatures.

It couldn't be easier. At first I used to use a lot of smaller containers, but one big bucket is definitely the way to do it as there is less messing around and cleaning. You can buy food grade PP buckets at Central for 95 baht. I bought 2 and a big stainless steel strainer (about 600 baht) which sits perfectly on top of the bucket for easy straining into the other bucket.

Of course you'll have to build up your supply of grains to make bigger batches, but it doesn't take long. Work your way up from 1 litre to 5 or 6 litres over several weeks.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Hi tropo,

The University I work at (Prince of Songkhla University) is interested to get some Kefir grain to culture for educational purpose.

Actually I have been trying to get my hand on the Kefit grain (for culture) and to try it, heard it's good for health and some alcohol in it.

Would appreciate if you would share it with me.

Hi Selzhin

I live in Phuket and have plenty of kefir grains to share. If you are still interested in trying them please let me know.

Saturday is fine, how about around the market area, outside the Italian, or any of the other restaurants in the area. What time is good for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

May I suggest you do this by pm. You can also exchange email addresses and phone numbers.

Edited by tropo

Hi i live in bangkok and have milk keffir, water keffir and a perhaps enough scoby to give away to anyone interested.

Good job. Many on here have been searching for water kefir grains. Where did you get them?

Edited by tropo