Hands Shaking But Not When Im Drunk

alexpoker

Hi there,

Im 33 years old. I drink nearly every day, but not always. Ive never considered myself an alcholic by any means. When I go out with my friends to party I obv get drunk. During normal days when im working from home I dont drink but sometimes after not going out for a few days Ill mayeb have a few beers at home while maybe talking to friends in Skype.

I drink 20-30 units of alcohol a week. Possibly more - Ive never had to really count out till now that I suspect that im going into dangerous territory.

Anyway for the last 4-6 months Ive noticed a slight tremor in my hands when holding stuff. E.g. Ill be having noodle soup holding the soup spoon with my left hand and itll be shaking uncontrollably. My left hand shakes more than my right ( Im right handed).

But when Im drunk the shaking goes away completely. Anyone else have this experience? Does this have to do with drinking? How do I get rid of this?

Thanks in advance if you read this far :)

Alex

Alex,

Your shaking could be due to a lot of things and I would seriously suggest that you get yourself checked out by a medical professional. Especially if your shakes are a new thing. However, it very easily could be alcohol related, i.e. withdrawal. As my drinking escalated, I began to experience the shakes, when I wasn't drinking, and they got progressively worse. I rationalized (lied to myself) them away at the beginning, as many alcoholics will do, don't fall into that trap. Are you experiencing any other "symptoms" when you are not drinking, things such as headache, flu like feelings, elevated heart rate or possibly unusual (for you) profuse sweating, these are some of the things that happened to me when I hadn't had a drink. Some people may tell you that "20-30 units of alcohol" is not a lot of booze over the course of a week, for some it may not be, for you it might be. Another question I would ask you, do the shakes and any other symptoms get worse the longer you don't have a drink? If the answer is yes, you may be going into withdrawal. I really would suggest that you talk to a doctor and perhaps someone from AA as well. Be honest with them about your drinking if you do. I am guessing that a doctor would probably want to keep you in hospital for observation for at least 24 hours and monitor you. That would be a good thing, as going into withdrawal from alcohol can in fact kill you and you might need medical help. Please go get yourself checked out medically and I wish you the best of luck!

Alex,

Your shaking could be due to a lot of things and I would seriously suggest that you get yourself checked out by a medical professional. Especially if your shakes are a new thing. However, it very easily could be alcohol related, i.e. withdrawal. As my drinking escalated, I began to experience the shakes, when I wasn't drinking, and they got progressively worse. I rationalized (lied to myself) them away at the beginning, as many alcoholics will do, don't fall into that trap. Are you experiencing any other "symptoms" when you are not drinking, things such as headache, flu like feelings, elevated heart rate or possibly unusual (for you) profuse sweating, these are some of the things that happened to me when I hadn't had a drink. Some people may tell you that "20-30 units of alcohol" is not a lot of booze over the course of a week, for some it may not be, for you it might be. Another question I would ask you, do the shakes and any other symptoms get worse the longer you don't have a drink? If the answer is yes, you may be going into withdrawal. I really would suggest that you talk to a doctor and perhaps someone from AA as well. Be honest with them about your drinking if you do. I am guessing that a doctor would probably want to keep you in hospital for observation for at least 24 hours and monitor you. That would be a good thing, as going into withdrawal from alcohol can in fact kill you and you might need medical help. Please go get yourself checked out medically and I wish you the best of luck!

Graham is giving good advice. Get checked out immediately.

Alcohol related? Not possible to diagnose, but it is possible. There are, however, many other things it could be and a visit to a good neurologist would be in order. Be honest with the Dr. about your drinking.

The shaking is usually worse the morning after Ive been out drinking. I havent taken note but it seems to be worse in the morning and hardly there in the evenings.

Two nights ago I went out drinking. Had the shakes the next morning. Had one beer during the day and had somewhat shakes this morning. Right now my right hand is hardly shaking while left is ever so slightly.

Ill try and monitor it better the coming days and see how it goes if I dont drink. Will one beer make a difference tho?

Should I just look for a neurologist or go to a doctor first?

Thanks again guys.

Alex

The shaking is usually worse the morning after Ive been out drinking. I havent taken note but it seems to be worse in the morning and hardly there in the evenings.

Two nights ago I went out drinking. Had the shakes the next morning. Had one beer during the day and had somewhat shakes this morning. Right now my right hand is hardly shaking while left is ever so slightly.

Ill try and monitor it better the coming days and see how it goes if I dont drink. Will one beer make a difference tho?

Thanks again guys.

Alex

If you have the shakes regularly at your age then you are right to be concerned. Go to a hospital and have a full check up. Don't lie about your boozing either.

I suspect your true unit intake per week is considerably higher than you have intiimated here...but that's OK...just be honest with the doc...

You might want to consider stopping drinking entirely for a couple of weeks. It might not stop the shakes, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Believe me, nothing good comes from long-term drinking of 20 or 30 bottles/pints of beer a week.

Good luck.

RickThai

Thanks again guys.

Alex

My view, for what it's worth, is that you seem to be quite sensitive to alcohol --- quite a dangerous sign. You did not mention the type of alcohol, and some of the local varieties contain some impurities.

However, as many posters have already mentioned, you need to get checked out, and better to stop drinking, if it is causing these side-effects.

What you are describing -- tremors that go away when you drink -- sound like what is termed "alcohol withdrawal tremor" . It is a definite sign of a physiological addiction to alcohol and of physical damage to the nervous system as a result of alcohol use. . People do vary in how easily that occurs. Whether you are "unusually sensitive" or have a typical sensitivity is really irrelevant. What is important is that your alcohol consumption has reached the point where you have a physiological addiction and experience what amount to withdrawal symptoms when you don't drink. This is a very dangerous situation as many people at that point start drinking around the clock to keep the symptoms at bay. Even if you don't do that (in which case the tremors will continue), this is a clear sign that your body is being seriously damaged. Your nervous system is being damaged, and it is quite likely -- even probable -- that you also have some degree of liver damage. Again, it is irrelevant whether or not other people drink as much or more than you do without this happening, just as exactly how much you are drinking is irrelevant. Whatever the amount is, it is too much for your body.

People who continue to drink despite the appearance of tremors and so forth are, pretty much by definition, people who are unable to stop drinking on their own and are also physiologically unable to drink only in great moderation on occasion....because if they could do these things, they already would. Some people's bodies are so constituted that they develop a physical addiction to alcohol which makes what to other people may seem like simple "self control" impossible.

You need to stop drinking, and you almost surely need help to do so. There are many types of such help and many options, see the pinned notice in this thread and also do a search of it to read various TV members accounts of how they did it.

You should also, immediately, start taking a high potency Vitamin B complex supplement.

If you continue drinking, further nerve damage awaits along with other organ damage. Your body has given you a clear message. Your health and even your life depend on heeding it.

• Like 2

What you are describing -- tremors that go away when you drink -- sound like what is termed "alcohol withdrawal tremor" . It is a definite sign of a physiological addiction to alcohol and of physical damage to the nervous system as a result of alcohol use. . People do vary in how easily that occurs. Whether you are "unusually sensitive" or have a typical sensitivity is really irrelevant. What is important is that your alcohol consumption has reached the point where you have a physiological addiction and experience what amount to withdrawal symptoms when you don't drink. This is a very dangerous situation as many people at that point start drinking around the clock to keep the symptoms at bay. Even if you don't do that (in which case the tremors will continue), this is a clear sign that your body is being seriously damaged. Your nervous system is being damaged, and it is quite likely -- even probable -- that you also have some degree of liver damage. Again, it is irrelevant whether or not other people drink as much or more than you do without this happening, just as exactly how much you are drinking is irrelevant. Whatever the amount is, it is too much for your body.

People who continue to drink despite the appearance of tremors and so forth are, pretty much by definition, people who are unable to stop drinking on their own and are also physiologically unable to drink only in great moderation on occasion....because if they could do these things, they already would. Some people's bodies are so constituted that they develop a physical addiction to alcohol which makes what to other people may seem like simple "self control" impossible.

You need to stop drinking, and you almost surely need help to do so. There are many types of such help and many options, see the pinned notice in this thread and also do a search of it to read various TV members accounts of how they did it.

You should also, immediately, start taking a high potency Vitamin B complex supplement.

If you continue drinking, further nerve damage awaits along with other organ damage. Your body has given you a clear message. Your health and even your life depend on heeding it.

"BAM" That's the sound of Sheryl hitting the nail on the head!

I was one of the people who started drinking around the clock to keep the symptoms at bay and I have to tell you that it got progressively worse and I had to drink more and more as time went on. To be honest, just before I stopped drinking, if I tried to sign my name w/o having a drink or two in me my signature was unrecognizable when compared to my normal signature of old. It was that bad, although in retrospect it was one of the things that helped to deflate my huge alcoholic ego and allowed me to reach out for help. Sadly, my experience is nowhere near unusual, I have met many people in AA who have experienced exactly the same thing or something similar.

Sheryl is also correct in pointing out that your sensitivity and reactions to alcohol is about you alone. It has nothing to do with how much anyone else can or cannot drink. You may get advice from friends who encourage you to just cut back for awhile or to stop for a bit, trust me I tried that and a lot of other "cures," they don't work. I would encourage you to seek out a recovering/recovered alcoholic and to sit down and talk to them about their drinking if your still on the fence about getting help.

If you do decide to detox, I would encourage you to do it in a medically supervised detox and to stay in there at least 72 hours. Detoxing on your own can be life threatening.

Personally, I would encourage you to get help now. All I can tell you is that it is a horrible path that you are on right now and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. For me, I had to go down it a pretty long way and it really sucked.

• 2 weeks later...

As other forum members have intimated get it checked out with honesty.

HOWEVER its 99% drink related at your age and a warning sign-dont be like these clowns who indulge in this idiotic "shot" syndrome who feel its a requirement to get slaugheterd every time they go out.

I truthfully speak from experience and are nearly 20 years older.

I've often wondered if the shakes are a physical or pyshcological reaction to alchohol intoxication or withdrawal? The day after I was drinking I'd get the shakes but also suffer from this terrible anxieity and what us drinkers call The Fear. I put it down to withdrawal, but was I in fact still intoxicated? Is there something in alcohol that makes us shake, or is it a physcological reaction to the abscence of booze in the system? Never worked it out for myself. Any one know why alcohol makes some people shake?

I agree that you should stop drinking for a week. The shakes should go in 48 hours. If you find it difficult to go without a drink for a week then you probably have a drinking problem, a sensttivity to acohol, an allergy to alcohol, a cumplusive personality, an addiction; call it what you will if it is a problem caused by drinking then it's a drinking problem.

From the amounts that you claim to drink then there is no reason that it should be a problem to go cold turkey for a week. If you are in fact drinking more and drinking during the day and night everyday then seek medical advice and consider being prescribed benzos for the withdrawal, but under no circumstances drink whilst taking them, that will make the problem much, much, worse.

The fact that you have recognized the problem is the largest step. If you do have a problem with drinking then simple will power to stop won't be enough. Google AA, the twelve steps, and take the time to read or listen to what these people say.

Good luck.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I've often wondered if the shakes are a physical or pyshcological reaction to alchohol intoxication or withdrawal? The day after I was drinking I'd get the shakes but also suffer from this terrible anxieity and what us drinkers call The Fear. I put it down to withdrawal, but was I in fact still intoxicated? Is there something in alcohol that makes us shake, or is it a physcological reaction to the abscence of booze in the system?

It's both. It is part of withdrawal, but also over time, alcohol damages the nervious system, including the peripheral nerves.

I agree that you should stop drinking for a week. The shakes should go in 48 hours. If you find it difficult to go without a drink for a week then you probably have a drinking problem, a sensttivity to acohol, an allergy to alcohol, a cumplusive personality, an addiction; call it what you will if it is a problem caused by drinking then it's a drinking problem.

From the amounts that you claim to drink then there is no reason that it should be a problem to go cold turkey for a week. If you are in fact drinking more and drinking during the day and night everyday then seek medical advice and consider being prescribed benzos for the withdrawal

Strongly disagree....it is dangerous for anyone who experiences "shakes" when not drinking to attempt detox on his own without medical supervision. It should be done under a doctor's care. You cannot gauge whether someone can safely detox on their own by the reported amount of alcohol consumed. Aside from the fact that such reports are often inaccurate, there is immense individual variation in response to alcohol. that this person experiences tremors when not drinking establishes that he has a significant physiological addiction to alcohol, and needs medically supervised detox.

It is a common misperception that the frequency with which people drink is a criteria by which they can be considered to be an alcoholic. Alcoholism is defined, medically, as an inability to control your drinking, in particular to control the amount consumed once the first drink has been taken. Many alcoholics have the ability to limit their drinking to specific times (evenings, weekends, sometimes even less often) but none of them can take just one drink and then stop easily. The first drink creates a craving for the next, and so on.

It is true that over time, many alcoholics slide from a pattern of drinking only at specified times to drinking daily, but not all. I've seen plenty of people maintain "evening only" or "weekend only" or even "once a month only" compulsive drinking patterns their whole life long.

Conversely, there are people who drink too much on a regular basis but are not alcoholic, i.e. they are perfectly capable of stopping after just one. These people have a drinking problem in the sense that they are drinking more than is good for their health, and possibly doing things under the influence that harm themselves or others, but they do not have a physiological addiction to alcohol. (For many of us, this description applied during high school/college).

I've often wondered if the shakes are a physical or pyshcological reaction to alchohol intoxication or withdrawal? The day after I was drinking I'd get the shakes but also suffer from this terrible anxieity and what us drinkers call The Fear. I put it down to withdrawal, but was I in fact still intoxicated? Is there something in alcohol that makes us shake, or is it a physcological reaction to the abscence of booze in the system?

It's both. It is part of withdrawal, but also over time, alcohol damages the nervious system, including the peripheral nerves.

From the amounts that you claim to drink then there is no reason that it should be a problem to go cold turkey for a week. If you are in fact drinking more and drinking during the day and night everyday then seek medical advice and consider being prescribed benzos for the withdrawal

Strongly disagree....it is dangerous for anyone who experiences "shakes" when not drinking to attempt detox on his own without medical supervision. It should be done under a doctor's care. You cannot gauge whether someone can safely detox on their own by the reported amount of alcohol consumed. Aside from the fact that such reports are often inaccurate, there is immense individual variation in response to alcohol. that this person experiences tremors when not drinking establishes that he has a significant physiological addiction to alcohol, and needs medically supervised detox.

It is a common misperception that the frequency with which people drink is a criteria by which they can be considered to be an alcoholic. Alcoholism is defined, medically, as an inability to control your drinking, in particular to control the amount consumed once the first drink has been taken. Many alcoholics have the ability to limit their drinking to specific times (evenings, weekends, sometimes even less often) but none of them can take just one drink and then stop easily. The first drink creates a craving for the next, and so on.

It is true that over time, many alcoholics slide from a pattern of drinking only at specified times to drinking daily, but not all. I've seen plenty of people maintain "evening only" or "weekend only" or even "once a month only" compulsive drinking patterns their whole life long.

Conversely, there are people who drink too much on a regular basis but are not alcoholic, i.e. they are perfectly capable of stopping after just one. These people have a drinking problem in the sense that they are drinking more than is good for their health, and possibly doing things under the influence that harm themselves or others, but they do not have a physiological addiction to alcohol. (For many of us, this was called high school").

Sheryl is one smart cookie, and may have experienced addiction in a loved one or friend.

One thing I can add is that alcohol withdrawl is one of the few withdrawals that can kill or seriously hurt an otherwise healthy person. Heroin cold turkey is a lot safer than alcohol cold turkey.

Alcohol withdrawl/detox MUST be medically supervised since there are medicines that make detox safer.

I used to drink quite a lot everyday when I lived in the UK, and got the shakes most days.

Now I drink only once or twice a week, but still quite a lot and never get the shakes. I would take issue with some of the comments on here, if I am reading them right then I should go into hospital every Saturday for safe 'detox' :blink:

When I am at home upcountry, I drink maybe twice a week at my favorite watering hole, sometimes three times a week, usually never two days in a row. I have no problems with the shakes. Maybe once every two months or so a friend wants me to visit Jomtien with him. We drink quite heavily nearly everyday for five or six days. I do get the shakes the day after a heavy night until we start again. I have never been alarmed with this, only embarrassed when someone notices. Stopping the heavy beer drinking eliminates the problem for me.

ADDED - I view the shakes as my body warning me that I am abusing it.

Edited by Gary A

I used to drink quite a lot everyday when I lived in the UK, and got the shakes most days.

Now I drink only once or twice a week, but still quite a lot and never get the shakes. I would take issue with some of the comments on here, if I am reading them right then I should go into hospital every Saturday for safe 'detox' :blink:

Alcohol effects people differently, and it sounds like you have cut back from when you drank in the UK. Everyday to once or twice a week is quite a large difference. Sounds like you don't need a detox, yet, but if the day comes that you do, be fully aware that trying to detox on your own can kill you. Things like the DT's or esophageal rupture are just a couple of things that can do it. blink.gif

I, overall, agree with Sheryl. She seems ,however, to rule out something that I wouldn't. Alcohol can mask the symptoms of other neurological disorders that show in the absence of alcohol. The course that she suggests should be followed 100% though!

Her approach to the disease concept seems to mirror that of AA and a bit less of the modern definition of alcohol dependancy but there is still a lot of discussion between the three fields that deal extensively with addictions (medical-phsychiatric/psychological/CD counseling.)

If the drinker in question goes days without drinking then stopping isn't the issue and therefore true physical addiction isn't the issue. Alcohol clears the system pretty rapidly. Staying stopped (in other words alcoholism) is still the most likely cause of his shakes but not the only possible cause.

I, overall, agree with Sheryl. She seems ,however, to rule out something that I wouldn't. Alcohol can mask the symptoms of other neurological disorders that show in the absence of alcohol. The course that she suggests should be followed 100% though!

Her approach to the disease concept seems to mirror that of AA and a bit less of the modern definition of alcohol dependancy but there is still a lot of discussion between the three fields that deal extensively with addictions (medical-phsychiatric/psychological/CD counseling.)

If the drinker in question goes days without drinking then stopping isn't the issue and therefore true physical addiction isn't the issue. Alcohol clears the system pretty rapidly. Staying stopped (in other words alcoholism) is still the most likely cause of his shakes but not the only possible cause.

I know a lot of alcoholics, myself included, who could stop for days, weeks, even months at a time at one time or another in their drinking careers. The issue is actually when we start to drink, that's when we can't stop. One drink is too much and 1000 drinks is never enough.

I know a lot of alcoholics, myself included, who could stop for days, weeks, even months at a time at one time or another in their drinking careers. The issue is actually when we start to drink, that's when we can't stop. One drink is too much and 1000 drinks is never enough.

Right, I was specifically trying to address the issue of a drinker that gets the shakes after drinking but does stop for periods of time. There are many "types" of alcoholics from binge drinkers to episodics to daily drinkers etc etc etc ...

Right, I was specifically trying to address the issue of a drinker that gets the shakes after drinking but does stop for periods of time. There are many "types" of alcoholics from binge drinkers to episodics to daily drinkers etc etc etc ...

for some food for thought.

Google "Asterixis" and "occult Sub dural hematoma in alcoholic"

I think what causes the confusion is that the term "alcoholism/alcoholic" is widely misused and bandied about, often applied to anyone whose drinking is (in the opinion of the speaker) excessive or problematic. Just like "manic deprerssive" gets tossed about and applied to people who are perhaps moody but my no means bipolar..

There is a clear medical definition of the word. The crux of it is an inability to control drinking once you start.

I think what causes the confusion is that the term "alcoholism/alcoholic" is widely misused and bandied about, often applied to anyone whose drinking is (in the opinion of the speaker) excessive or problematic. Just like "manic deprerssive" gets tossed about and applied to people who are perhaps moody but my no means bipolar..

There is a clear medical definition of the word. The crux of it is an inability to control drinking once you start.

I agree with what you are saying, in principal. The issue is that there really are 3+ significant groups (2 of them medical) trying to define it. The AMA has their definition which may not require the inability to control/moderate if the other diagnostic criteria are met. The APA in the DSM-IV made significant changes to the older DSM3 definitions and the treatment community/AA/physchology has an even more liberal diagnostic practice. (The old 20 questions)

The only reason I was pointing out the things I did above is that it is possible for a "problem drinker" to be self-medicating neurological (in the case of a palsy) disorders and most definitely psychological disorders via ETOH.

I did just find a good resource ------

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=LhSLKVmauGoC&pg=PA230&lpg=PA230&dq=alcohol+serving+to+mask+other+neurological+disorders&source=bl&ots=FT5oIEV1s8&sig=NJ4ntZDqq-YOW_c6ceZ7l89Xu_A&hl=th&ei=kkxNTuX2BYjSrQezwO2NAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CHkQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

You have been brainwashed by the happy clappy brigade.

You don't have a drink for weeks or months at a time and still think you are an alcoholic??

Sound more like a nanny holic.....

You don't have a drink for weeks or months at a time and still think you are an alcoholic??

QED,

For your enlightenment, please read Sheryl's definition of alcoholism in another thread-

Alcoholism can also get progressively worse. I was a binge drinker for many years, but ended up drinking 24/7 at the end. You may note in my post I stated "at one time or another" I was able to stop for periods of time. However, when I did have a drink, I didn't stop until I basically passed out.

QED,

For your enlightenment, please read Sheryl's definition of alcoholism in another thread-

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4629297

Alcoholism can also get progressively worse. I was a binge drinker for many years, but ended up drinking 24/7 at the end. You may note in my post I stated "at one time or another" I was able to stop for periods of time. However, when I did have a drink, I didn't stop until I basically passed out.

I was - amazed; dismayed; perplexed - when I discovered, late in my drinking career, that other people could go home half way through the evening.

I was renowned for being last home first in the next day,

Personally, I'm not a "master race, special class of people" believer in alcoholism; most of my friends, when they have had a few, take up a bit of a thirst; but none to the same extent as I do, nor to the same risk of mishap.

In my experience, some people's feeling of satisfaction - of "enough" increases faster than their drink-induced thirst, and for some people it's slower. And that changes over time - as you become used to drinking.

SC

• 7 months later...

your hands shake when your sober because your body has become dependent on alcohol. I would advise you really try and have a break. It will only get worse. Soon you will wake up every morning from a night out with a fever that will last all day. This is called alcohol withdrawl. its not very fun.