BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
iainiain101

Flood Warnings 2011

Does anyone know if there has been a warning to expect flooding issued?

I notice that the Narrawat Bridge water level has entered the yellow critical zone, and with the 6 to 7 hour delay in the water from San Sai coming downstream....

http://hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

Mods.. I realise this is slightly tied to the rain thread, but for those of us in flood zones is it ok to keep a river watch / warning thread open?

Just a short while ago the river did crest the riverbank here in front of The Pun Pun

At the rate of river rising it should be in the lower back yard in an hour or two......

Now where did I park the ark....

\G

Here is the flood map for Chiang Mai. If you live in a shaded area, then the shaded number equates to a height at the bottom of the page that the river needs to reach at Narrawat for a flood to reach you.

I think this is based on the 2005 floods, and I do wonder how incresed building and land raising would effect this.

Iain

floodareamap.pdf

We're out at Bo Hin about 6kn from Doi saket. They've told us to get ready. A heap of sand and empty sand bags has been left for us to build defences. :(

Just having a quick break from doing that now. I'll let you know if anything happens here.

Just a short while ago the river did crest the riverbank here in front of The Pun Pun

At the rate of river rising it should be in the lower back yard in an hour or two......

\G

That can't be correct at all....My Thai is poor but CM108 advise "

เทศบาลนครเชียงใหม่ แจ้งระดับน้ำ วัดที่เชิงสะพานนวรัฐ วัดเมื่อ 12.00 น. อยู่ที่ 3 เมตร และคาดว่าในเวลาประมาณ 18.00 น. จะไม่น่าเกิน 3.50 เมตร

โดยคาดการณ์ว่า ในคืนนี้ไม่น่าจะมีการล้นตลิ่ง

and that was at 10 past noon I think.

Perhaps the reporter is not as as close to the Ping as Gonzo though....as I recall it has made it up to the car park near the road once at Gonzo's and CM108 advised that ther was no flooding at all then :)

Edited by mamborobert

\G

NOAH>>>>>

How many cubits? and btw.... what ever is a cubit ?

\G

NOAH>>>>>

How many cubits? and btw.... what ever is a cubit ?

A cubit is a itsy bitsy teeny weenie ice cube that comes from Cuba......

I thought everyone knew that.... :)

\G

Maybe you could put some flotation on your 3 wheeler :D

Just come back from the Iron bridge (at 6.30pm) the very brown but still majestic Ping (if Gerry Marsden can try and make the Mersey and Merseyside look good cut me some slack) is flowing very freely in the centre and there is about one metre till it would top the lower promenande (sounds nicer than footpath) on teh East side, and then its another metre or so to the road proper. Lots of people driving slowly across the bridge and taking camera photos, but I still managed to get my bbq chicken so despite the throng all was not in vein. There has been a break in the rain and even a patch of blue so I guess it all depends on how much water has to come down and whether it rains/drizzles consistently for the next few hours....but a welcome break nevertheless (or no bbq for me)

One of my Thai friends has told me that they are going to open Mae Ngat dam tonight as the reservoir is full. That could make it interesting in town. All second hand hearsay of course.

One of my Thai friends has told me that they are going to open Mae Ngat dam tonight as the reservoir is full. That could make it interesting in town. All second hand hearsay of course.

We just came back from a visit to the riverbank about 250m south of the Mahidol Road bridge in Nong Hoi. They've done a lot of flood prevention work on the other side of the river there and I can only hope they attend to the west side of the river before too long as despite the flood plain map, I'd say it's only about 50 - 60cms shy of flooding onto the road. While we were there a lad who was fishing also told us that the dam was to be opened.

When you're almost at water level the speed of the current and the amount of debris rushing past is awesome.

We just came back from a visit to the riverbank about 250m south of the Mahidol Road bridge in Nong Hoi. They've done a lot of flood prevention work on the other side of the river there and I can only hope they attend to the west side of the river before too long as despite the flood plain map, I'd say it's only about 50 - 60cms shy of flooding onto the road. While we were there a lad who was fishing also told us that the dam was to be opened.

When you're almost at water level the speed of the current and the amount of debris rushing past is awesome.

All the locals are now saying that they are going to open the Dam just past Doi Saket at midnight. :o

If this is true then it will not be good. One qustion I ask is this tropical storm has been forecast. Maybe they could have released a bit of water earlier as a preemptive measure. Let that wotk its way through the rivers before the rain hit here.

Anyway the Thais here are having a great time catching all the fish and crabs on our streets, they've just had a feast.

Also the Mae Kuang res. if far from full, so no reason at all to release water.

Besides, if they do it will join the Ping well south of the city, they might not like it in Lamphun but it is not relevant for the water level in CM