Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here at The Pun Pun we do have a bit of water in the lower back yard, Still about half metre to go before into any of the lower rooms.

My adsl has been off since about 8pm yest. til just about 15 mins ago.....so I don't know if someone gave an answer to what happened to the link on post 1 to the hydro site ...... it sez it cannot be found.....

Anybody know of another link to the hourly flooding level page????

It does look like its almost stopped its rise, hopefully will start back down if no new water is forthcoming.

Gonzo

*quote deleted*

You sound a little over concerned.. (New to Chiang Mai I suppose?) Flooding sure is a nuisance if your house is in an affected area (mostly near the river). If your living room floods it makes an incredible mess.

However it's not like you'll be 'fleeing from a tsunami' or anything like that. Unless you're told otherwise it's business as usual. Flooding (if any) happens very gradually.

And, if you're in the Nong Hoy area then it may be a traffic nuisance. You may have trouble getting to places from there if worst comes to worst. Often people in low lying areas move their cars up to higher ground, typically along Aom Muang road. Ask around in that case.

Edited by Scott
response to deleted post edited

Looks (thankfully) like my 60cm estimate was wrong yesterday - it's risen a lot in Nong Hoi south of the bridge but still has about 30 cm to go. These pictures are of the area adjacent to the bridge looking east and show that there isn't much leeway there either.

i-dhr4xL7-XL.jpg

i-n3cnCVB-XL.jpg

i-5QJ8Fvd-XL.jpg

i-qRs9xQV-XL.jpg

Yes, that underpass beneath Mahidol Rd on the north side always goes under first, and water was flowing into it at about 8:30 this morning although it wasn't completely submerged at that point.

The pics are great but it's a shame they can't convey the sheer speed and power with which all that water is moving. Like you said earlier, an awesome sight. People should get down and have a look if they've got nothing better to do today. Raw, uncompromising nature at your very doorstep ;)

3.74 again at 11:00

Dropping in San Sai, looks like a crest.

So, actually this is managed expertly by very competent people. Same with the Canal Road, going to capacity but not over it.

( Thought I'd mention that given some of the cheap shots by some sour people here and there. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> You sound a little over concerned.. (New to Chiang Mai I suppose?)

With all due respect - been here 5 years by the way - I have 28 students I am responsible for, and my school has taken a stick-the-head-in-the-silt attitude. I was hoping if something happens I will find out some 15 minutes earlier through thaivisa than any other channel. Parents would have to get here and take the kids before I could go anywhere and that could take hours, and if it gets a little worse, I would have to pack up all the important stuff in my classroom and move it upstairs. So, yes, I am concerned, if I am allowed to be. I like to know what is coming, and not just let it ooops flood the classroom (worst case scenario), Thai style.

Thanks for the updates to everyone, much appreciated.

Just had a call from a friend in Land & House Maejo, and the roads and some houses there are apperently flooded.

Took a drive up the Sangkampang road just now, and I would recommend anyone planning on buying in the new moobans up there does likewise, as it appears they have not raised the fields enough. The Kuang river has flooded and here is a photo, it was appently a lot worse last night.

post-23669-0-53596500-1312262229_thumb.j

With all due respect - been here 5 years by the way - I have 28 students I am responsible for, and my school has taken a stick-the-head-in-the-silt attitude. I was hoping if something happens I will find out some 15 minutes earlier through thaivisa than any other channel. Parents would have to get here and take the kids before I could go anywhere and that could take hours, and if it gets a little worse, I would have to pack up all the important stuff in my classroom and move it upstairs. So, yes, I am concerned, if I am allowed to be. I like to know what is coming, and not just let it ooops flood the classroom (worst case scenario), Thai style.

Don't feed the trolls. There are some good eggs on here that'll help out and provide one with useful info, and then there's the smarmy dolts that seem to have nothing better to do. Best to just ignore them. ;)

3.74 again at 11:00

Dropping in San Sai, looks like a crest.

Gonzo try this link http://hydro-1.net/08HYDRO/HD-06/HOURLY.html?id=61

Thanks for that link Canuckamuck. I do see by the latest reading that it has apparently leveled out now, although my highly scientific marking on the wall shows a drop of a cm,,,,,,,however that may have been reflecting the tsunami created by a swim by frog.

Lets hope it goes down now guys and gals and more rain holds off for a bit.

.......and to the statement of the officials taking it right to the flood point then putting on the brakes.......better make that flood point at Narrawat..... as some places have already been underwater as in flooded.

Gonzo

School will know if the area is flood prone. If they never flooded in the past then they won't flood now either. You should be talking to other people in the school. It's all very localized, and the worst case is indeed ending up with a mess in your class room that you won't have to clean up. But I doubt it.

( If you would have told everyone which school it is then you would also have your answer right now. )

EDIT: Come to think of it, my daughter is in a school in an area that did actually flood in the past, AND I've had some water in/around the house a couple years ago, but you don't see me getting all neurotic about it. You'd think this is the last days of Pompei.

Meanwhile, rain has stopped and water levels are decreasing. This is being managed expertly so far. I always get upset at needless digs at Thai people as shown in posts by others, and also in your post quoted above.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

One of my Thai friends has told me that they are going to open Mae Ngat dam tonight as the reservoir is full. That could make it interesting in town. All second hand hearsay of course.

There's no way Mae Ngat is full. Been there quite recently and the water isn't even up to the spillway concrete.

Land & Houses in San Sai is flooded. Especially in Cholada - waves of water every time a truck passes by. Cars are not able to make it down the main sois.

So much for a higher end development..

It is a bit strange though, because the water level is well below the level at which the hydro site says it will flood (for San Sai). Is this flooding from the Ping river? I guess San Sai is a pretty big district, but still.

Land & Houses in San Sai is flooded. Especially in Cholada - waves of water every time a truck passes by. Cars are not able to make it down the main sois.

So much for a higher end development..

It is a bit strange though, because the water level is well below the level at which the hydro site says it will flood (for San Sai). Is this flooding from the Ping river? I guess San Sai is a pretty big district, but still.

Nope. The water appears to be coming from a property adjacent to the Cholada section of the Land & Houses mooban which was fairly recently walled in with limited escape routes provided for the large pool of water that accumulated due to the rains. However, on the Land & Houses side of the property, the wall has water flowing through overflow holes. The water appears to not be escaping via the marsh land on the opposite side of the property, just on the Land & Houses side. Really a bad situation. I also heard that water was released from a dam and that may be contributing to the problem. I am able to see the water flowing through the overflow holes from the neighboring property. Land & Houses management has so far been non-responsive.

Edited by venturalaw

Ah.. thanks, that explains it.

Are L&H still actively selling properties there? If they are then they will likely fix the issue. If most houses are sold, then... then we'll see what their level of responsibility is as a leading property developer. :rolleyes:

Yes. They are selling, and also building although not in the Cholada section. Hopefully the rain will stay away. But as I typed that I just noticed that it started lightly.

Meanwhile, rain has stopped and water levels are decreasing. This is being managed expertly so far. I always get upset at needless digs at Thai people as shown in posts by others, and also in your post quoted above.

FYI, I was up and down Canal Road a few times today and saw several guys crawling around the sluice/gate thingies (what are they called, anyway?), busily turning valve handles and whatnot. In other places, the gates were opened wide to let the water flow. I think they've got it under control. Wa-hoo!

Meanwhile, in San Pu Loei, no flooding in my village!! Perhaps this is because we are surrounded by kilometers of rice paddies, which are now fully submerged. Anyhoo...RealThaiDeal got me thinking...does this new rice-lake destroy the growing rice? There's always at least a little bit of water in those paddies. Is there such a thing as too much water in the paddies?

Yeah, Sadie. They do 'flood' fields to grow rice, but it's always controlled and just at the base of the plants. Floods like this can be bad for rice in a couple ways. One, you can get it covered by silt or stripped in the current if heavy fast moving water passes over it, and then depending on what stage of maturity the rice is at, rains n wetness can rot/spoil the rice before harvest. I don't believe that rotting is the big danger here. If temporary floods covered fields n deposited mud n silt, that's going to be a problem.