Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

This thread is for informative purposes thanks, if you aren't flooded and don't have any drama then kudos to you but please do not pretend that others are not affected by belittling the situation. More off topic posts will be deleted. Information only, as requested by the members who need this thread.

thanks

I was going to like this but then remembered I wasn't on facebook.

Seems like the water is receding a little but still no feedback on if the dams are still due to be open, should we be expecting a surge?

Varee School is closed today, but my son tells me they are having their sports day tomorrow as planned. Guess that will depend on what happens between now and then. All we can do is hope for the best.

Ah, OK. Thanks for letting me know. I better let the kid know before he runs the nanny all over town for nothing. Thanks again !

No, the sports day tomorrow is postponed until 21 october. Apparently you can see this on their website.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, OK. Thanks for letting me know. I better let the kid know before he runs the nanny all over town for nothing. Thanks again !

No, the sports day tomorrow is postponed until 21 october. Apparently you can see this on their website.

Yes, and Varee will be closed for regular lessons tomorrow too. See below: (bit dissappointing to see their level of English, but ok) :

post-64232-0-18372300-1317279409_thumb.p

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hi

I heard that strong rain (or flood) from North should arrive in town this evening ... but as last night I heard so many rumors, I did not pay attention ... BUT ... anybody noticed the water level in Sansai is going UP for the last couple of hours ? 4.35 ... 4.37 ... 4.40 ... if so it should affect Chiangmai around 6PM ...

Worrying ...

Philippe

I heard that strong rain (or flood) from North should arrive in town this evening ... but as last night I heard so many rumors, I did not pay attention ... BUT ... anybody noticed the water level in Sansai is going UP for the last couple of hours ? 4.35 ... 4.37 ... 4.40 ... if so it should affect Chiangmai around 6PM ...

Oh. I checked the site but I missed that... nasty! P.67 is indeed going up, while P1 is going down.

I think you're missing the point. It's more than "a big mess." People are stranded and unable to get out to buy food or get to the doctor. The water is so high in some areas that only a boat could get through.

I don't think I have seen that. Either first hand or from any pictures on this site and other Chiang Mai sites. Could you point me to some sources for that? (Genuine request, not trying to be cheeky)

Mostly it seems that people can at least wade through. (I'll grant you that this would still affect the elderly.)

Watkate area. 11 am today

Hi

Worrying ...

Philippe

I was told by a friend that water was released from Mae Ngat Dam and will reach Chiang Mai in 6 hrs. I don't have official source but he told me around 11am. So maybe more water this evening. He also said levels dropped in Mae Taeng and Chiang dao. Anyone know if they post details on the dam and water releases??

I was told by a friend that water was released from Mae Ngat Dam and will reach Chiang Mai in 6 hrs. I don't have official source but he told me around 11am. So maybe more water this evening

2PM :

San Sai : 4.50 (+10cm)

Chiangmai : 4.82 : (-2cm)

going fast ..

I was told by a friend that water was released from Mae Ngat Dam and will reach Chiang Mai in 6 hrs. I don't have official source but he told me around 11am. So maybe more water this evening

2PM :

San Sai : 4.50 (+10cm)

Chiangmai : 4.82 : (-2cm)

going fast ..

Ahh could be correct then, so it should peak in CM about 6pm if accurate

Sorry to intrude, but I'm seeing an offer of help and I am actually quite desperately trying to get out of my house. I stay in Mooban Tipparat Villa, off Vieng Ping rd., it's just a Thai working class mooban and I can't communicate with any neighbours, and in any case it looks like everyone around here has already left. I've heard it is possible to get out of here by boat but when I try calling the police nobody picks up, I guess they are too busy now.

Anyways, Winnie, if you think your truck could make it and you don't mind, please PM me since I would greatly appreciate your offer for help, I'm locked up in the house alone with a cat who is already terrified, I do have food and water inside, but with the brown water everywhere and no use of the toilet it's not a happy, and especially healthy, situation. I have lots of friends who have offered to let me stay at their place, but I first have to get out of here!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Edited by sbk
deleted posts removed

PM: full efforts for Chiang Mai residents affected by floods

CHIANG MAI, 29 September 2011 (NNT)-Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is urging every sector to help Chiang Mai residents cope with rising flood levels. Knock-down houses are expected to be built to provide temporary shelters and survival kits will be distributed to help residents get through the ordeal.

According to Ms. Yingluck, the situations in Chiang Mai, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen and Maha Sarakham remain worrisome. San Sai, Mae Taeng and Fang districts in Chiang Mai have been worst affected after the overflow from the Ping River flooded numerous areas including a business zone of Night Bazaar where the flood level now reached 60 centimeters.

Chiang Mai Governor and the Minister of Natural Resources and Environment reported that the flood had increased to 4.92 meters from originally 3.7 meters except at Varoros market where barriers made of sandbags had been erected. Over 1,700 homes have been affected so far in the event of flood. Survival kits and flat bottomed boats were given to those in need.

However, the flood level is expected to recede to lower than 4 meters if it does not rain again tonight. The Prime Minister ordered related agencies to find new waterways to drain the inundation from the city of Chiang Mai.

Relevant ministers were told to spend the night in the province to monitor the situation and help flood victims whichever way they could. More rescue efforts from the army have been requested as the situation has been severe in several areas.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-29 footer_n.gif

Old Lamphun road at Nong Hoy, north of Aom Muang.

post-64232-0-65354900-1317283697_thumb.j

Best avoid that intersection / Aom Muang altogether. Best ways in/out of town are currently Hang Dong Road and Canal Road from the South, and from other areas East of the river it's best to use Canal Road, coming in from the North. (Not sure about Chotana / Mae Rim road; any reports from there?)

Sorry to intrude, but I'm seeing an offer of help and I am actually quite desperately trying to get out of my house. I stay in Mooban Tipparat Villa, off Vieng Ping rd., it's just a Thai working class mooban and I can't communicate with any neighbours, and in any case it looks like everyone around here has already left. I've heard it is possible to get out of here by boat but when I try calling the police nobody picks up, I guess they are too busy now.

Anyways, Winnie, if you think your truck could make it and you don't mind, please PM me since I would greatly appreciate your offer for help, I'm locked up in the house alone with a cat who is already terrified, I do have food and water inside, but with the brown water everywhere and no use of the toilet it's not a happy, and especially healthy, situation. I have lots of friends who have offered to let me stay at their place, but I first have to get out of here!

Mermaid.

Have you heard from WTW yet?

If not Please to PM, or call 0871415081 me with your address and telephone number and my Thai wife will call the police for you again. If still no assistanve then Me, my wife and Mazda Pick up and plastic dingy will come down to see what we can do. May have my puppy with us. I hope that your cat does not bite.

Gladiator

Just took a wade to the pedestrian bridge South of the Nakornping Bridge, the East side remains flooded to various depths up to three feet but levels do seem to be dropping, the West side (the Market) is almost completely bone dry, have to say the river is moving along at quite a pace - local people telling us that we should look out for increased flooding around 6pm, apparently this information originating from some government source but unclear which.

I live just off ring road 3 depending on your numbering system, highway 121 from Hang Dong road over to the river (the highway East to West at the Somoeng/Hang Dong intersection) and seems everyone is using that as a route to get to and from town now. Just packed with traffic both ways as I came home from work.

South of Mahidol Road, the waters are still rising. What's going on at Nawarat Bridge doesn't seem to be reflected here. The spreading of the water does seem to be the cause of the drop at Nawarat.

With that in mind, and waters rising again at Ban Mae Tae, and dams being opened, I'm expecting a rough night tonight.

Mermaid: I see that Gladiator has kindly offered his assistance, if for some reason that doesn't pan out will you please re post your request for help again.

Just to show that this is *** NOT *** a case of "Chiang Mai" being flooded, this is 6pm at the moat.

Also shows that the people who built this town 715 years ago knew what they were doing; clearly you get flooding near the river when it bursts it's banks, but the actual town is solid as a rock!

post-64232-0-64798600-1317213757_thumb.j post-64232-0-90859700-1317213751_thumb.j

Mae Rim has faired pretty well also...

From about 1:30 pm today I walked er waded Pratchasamphan Rd from near Ragaeng Rd to where it intersects Chang Khlan Rd close to Pantip Plaza. It was hard going because the current was quite fast. The easier way would have been via Ragaeng Rd and Kampaengdin Rd and that was the way I returned. Water level at Nana House had fallen about 1 cm in 3 hours.