Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

okay, called the ratilanna riverside hotel and it is closed at this time. Bookings are transferred to the "Khum Phaya Resort & Spa". Anyone has an idea whether this hotel is "flood-safe"? (and is it a good hotel?)

That's flood-safe, and looks very nice. Strange location though on teh outside of the Superhighway ring, so you won't be walking directly to any sights from there. (Arguably the same is true for Rati Lanna though) But good access to town by car/hotel van without having to worry about floods.

Some links:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293917-d1645600-Reviews-Khum_Phaya_Resort_Spa_Centara_Boutique_Collection-Chiang_Mai.html

http://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/localtrips/254639/khum-phaya-resort-spa

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_mai/khum_phaya_resort_spa_centara_boutique_collection.html

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we please get some more updates on Galare Thong build as due to stay there very soon...... thanks

We had booked there for tomorrow.

My wife called today, not accessible.

Galae stay underwater and maybe not accessible for one more week and maybe needs 1 week more to recover electricity....

Glad to hear you're ok Dave, was thinking about you when I looked down that road from the Narawat bridge!

I've got a meter just outside my office window. The water is going down. Not quite as fast as it went up but it is at about the 2-3 pm level of a couple of days ago.

How's the road outside and will you be able to open today?

We are cleaned up and ready to go but there is still water in the street. The Duke's will be open in the Night Bazaar but not at the river location tonight.

Could we please get some more updates on Galare Thong build as due to stay there very soon...... thanks

We had booked there for tomorrow.

My wife called today, not accessible.

Galae stay underwater and maybe not accessible for one more week and maybe needs 1 week more to recover electricity....

Thanks for the update.

Sorry for having to ask, but the Charoen Muang Road, on the east side of the river - does anyone know how bad it is there? I don't know the area at all, so I'm finding it hard to see if it's accessible.

Any help appreciated as always :)

I walked along it at 3pm - from Bumregrad to the bridge - quite OK.

I live at Galae Thong Condominium by Wednesday late afternoon the water on the soi was over 1 1/2M+ and rising. The electricity went down and in the morning when the water had not receded and I could still it flowing down the soi ==== I took one of the evacuation boats. They were really organized and took us to where Chang Klan meets Mahidohl. They were so helpful --- helped up into and out of the boat and up the embankment where I was able to get a Red Truck. I chose to go to the Santitham area near Kad Suan Kaew. I can't thank the organization enough. My scooter was under water --- it's out now, just hope it starts when I'm finally able to get back to Galae Thong.

post-139461-0-63735900-1317384066_thumb.

post-139461-0-57457900-1317384104_thumb.

post-139461-0-64266100-1317384147_thumb.

Sorry for having to ask, but the Charoen Muang Road, on the east side of the river - does anyone know how bad it is there? I don't know the area at all, so I'm finding it hard to see if it's accessible.

Any help appreciated as always :)

I walked along it at 3pm - from Bumregrad to the bridge - quite OK.

Thanks so much Coreyp2!

... My scooter was under water --- it's out now, just hope it starts when I'm finally able to get back to Galae Thong.

Don't simply try to start your scooter!!! You can easily demage the entire engine in case the combustion chamber is filled with water. First take the spark plug out and let the engine make some revolutions, then wait (in case there is still water in the exhaust system entering the combustion chamber now), again some revolutions a.s.o. Only if you are sure now no water can be in the chamber anymore make sure the spark plug is dry, put it in and try to start. Next step: Change your engine oil. Now you can drive but you should be aware that at least your wheel bearings got some unwanted water and will not last as long as expected.

... snip ...Charoen Muang Road, on the east side of the river ... snip ... I walked along it at 3pm - from Bumregrad to the bridge - quite OK.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CoreyP2,

Thanks for the update, I am curious to ask you if you did see water on Charoen Muang looking west from the intersection with Bumrungrad.

I was doing mixed aquatic-terrestial bicycle work-outs getting from my house to the Railway Station area last night, and finally, after nearly being electrocuted while locking my bicycle to a steel pole, was able to get a songthaew; the driver went east on Charoen Muang, and the water stayed quite deep until just after the Bumrungrad intersection.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

... snip ...Charoen Muang Road, on the east side of the river ... snip ... I walked along it at 3pm - from Bumregrad to the bridge - quite OK.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CoreyP2,

Thanks for the update, I am curious to ask you if you did see water on Charoen Muang looking west from the intersection with Bumrungrad.

I was doing mixed aquatic-terrestial bicycle work-outs getting from my house to the Railway Station area last night, and finally, after nearly being electrocuted while locking my bicycle to a steel pole, was able to get a songthaew; the driver went east on Charoen Muang, and the water stayed quite deep until just after the Bumrungrad intersection.

best, ~o:37;

There was some water at the intersection but not sure how much. I'm in Wat Ket area and waded out for a meal just now and when I came back an hour later the water level around my house near the Floral condo had gone down noticeably . (In fact I have one room - the laundry that I can see the mud I'll have to clear out tomorrow!) I imagine the level will be down on Charoen Muang Road too.

... My scooter was under water --- it's out now, just hope it starts when I'm finally able to get back to Galae Thong.

Don't simply try to start your scooter!!! You can easily demage the entire engine in case the combustion chamber is filled with water. First take the spark plug out and let the engine make some revolutions, then wait (in case there is still water in the exhaust system entering the combustion chamber now), again some revolutions a.s.o. Only if you are sure now no water can be in the chamber anymore make sure the spark plug is dry, put it in and try to start. Next step: Change your engine oil. Now you can drive but you should be aware that at least your wheel bearings got some unwanted water and will not last as long as expected.

Thanks for this!

My gf's bike got flooded, so this is very helpful info.

Í'm east of the river ... and it's really bad on this side even now at 9 .30 pm...water still flowing in from all sides

My place in Saraphi off the 121 between Hang Dong Road and Chiang Mai Lamphun road is flooding pretty badly and being that I have a canal on 3 sides of the property the water is just moviing iin from all sides.... Sand Bags not helping as the water is moving in quite fast ....eeekkks! What a nightmare

:bah:

That's unlucky, hope it doesn't get too bad. Are you west or east of the river? Or, rather, close to the cm-lamphun road?

...is the Dun 2 wan under water ?

You could not get to it yesterday without braving a flooded street.

Hubby just did a scouting mission to see if I could go to the Duang Tawan fitness center today without contracting some deadly skin disease from wading in the water. He entered Loi Kroh about midway between the old city and the night bazaar and found it dry all the way to the exit point of the circular drive in front of the hotel. The entrance of the drive had water and the soi that is east of the hotel (and continues past the Le Meriden) is under water. So, the situation seems improved from yesterday. Night Bazaar area is still inaccessible. Warorot market is dry.

Thanks..maybe leave it a couple of days and suffer Bangers.

Assume the pubs are OK...Bell,Red L...No1 etc...dont like getting my feet wet especially with these new woolen socks. :o

Assume the pubs are OK...Bell,Red L...No1 etc...dont like getting my feet wet especially with these new woolen socks. :o

Olde Bell wasn't affected. No 1 I think is too far up, probably wasn't affected either, but not 100% sure. Red Lion is right in the major flood zone but still might be dry by tomorrow, Nawarat bridge levels are going down fast at the moment.

Right now it seems Chang Klan / Night Bazaar levels are dropping in line with the Nawarat Bridge level, as you'd expect.

South of CM it's worse - I am not sure if there's an additional run-off going there from somewhere, or whether it just has a BIG delay from the Nawarat bridge...

Edited by nikster

Olde Bell wasn't affected. No 1 I think is too far up, probably wasn't affected either, but not 100% sure. Red Lion is right in the major flood zone but still might be dry by tomorrow, Nawarat bridge levels are going down fast at the moment.

Right now it seems Chang Klan / Night Bazaar levels are dropping in line with the Nawarat Bridge level, as you'd expect.

South of CM it's worse - I am not sure if there's an additional run-off going there from somewhere, or whether it just has a BIG delay from the Nawarat bridge...

How is the level at the Ratti Lanna end of Chang Klan?

You can't access that bit. I went along mahidon road (from the airport) last night and you can't turn left.. chiang mai land was flooded and no access to the left at the nong hoi intersection. 2 hrs later i headed into town from .the super highway into geow narawat road past macCormick hospital ..fine.. then very surprisingly I could turn left at the lights before nakorn ping bridge.... passed the riverside restaurant...then right at the traffic lights across narawat bridge.. no problem.. (could not go straight on at the lights to riverside rimping though)... once across narawat bridge....left into chang klan road and macdonalds was open and also the 7/11 down in the ground!!... also amazingly some stalls open but not many.. straight at the pantip traffic lights ..that area is passable.. not sure how far as i only went as far as to see the shangrila.... but you wouldn't have gotten much farther...it wouldn't have been passable to the Ratilanna but that might change today....

How is the level at the Ratti Lanna end of Chang Klan?

Edited by SPIKECM

rinrada.

re .. Red L

i would put off visiting the red lion for a few days unless you want to get wet feet : (

pic taken at lunchtime today.

dave2

Ive got it from the highest authority that The Red Lion is flood free and open for business as per normal today, which is good timing as its the merseyside derby at 6.45pm :burp:

Edited by thaimiller