Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

fwiw, we are being told this is our last day at montfort.. spent most of the day sandbagging. they are expecting more flooding later this week as it has been raining non-stop in the mtns since last friday

Looking at the weather radar for Northern Thailand, that does not seem to be the case. Significant rain towards the end of this week does seem possible.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe here's just the one you want, though several are noteworthy:

http://model.haii.or.th/app/report/chaopraya_chart/ping.php

Thanks for those RTD. I had seen them on the net, but disregarded them , 1) cuz I can't read Thai, and 2)when I looked at the flow chart, I know rivers don't run in straight, left and right 90 deg angles. :rolleyes:

Really thanks for the link and if there is one in a human language [and simple] please advise.

G

Are the dams here built with no ability to release water until they are full?

Why would they be??

Irrigation perhaps? They were able to flood all the paddies around Doi Saket from Mae Kuang reservoir starting Jan 1 for this purpose.

Mae Ngat Dam releases water all year from its lower gates for irrigation purposes. Swimming below the dam is very popular during Songkran as the water coming down the canal is clear and cool.

The Thai reference to 'releasing water' probably means they will overflow. wink.gif

The problem is that if water is released from the north into the already flooded central plains more people are flooded. Most of the these people have been underwater for many weeks already. The second reason is that the tides around Bangkok are very high and this isn't allowing water to enter the ocean. Bangkok is already under flood alert. They do want to let the water out but this is the whole problem. The entire country north of Bangkok is receiving more water then can be gotten rid of. The country will be flooded for at least another 2 to 4 weeks.

Edited by MarkMayo

Just click on the link and read the article cause that's what I am referring to and which was in The Nation the day before yesterday.... it is a prediction for the days to come and not a current event ... !

What flood? As of yesterday 3 October 2011 I don't see no flooding in Chiang Mai.

So how bad is the flooding that you see?

Annabel... If we do get some more heavy rain, it could get bad, but the reporting by the Nation seems a bit sensationalistic since Northern Thailand is only getting light scattered rains at the moment. They also published an article a few days ago that had dam data that was incorrect.

The tropical storm on its way has lost a lot of energy and precip, but it could still cause problematic rains. (When the links below open, Scroll Down)

TS Nalgae Satellite Image

TS Nalgae Forecast Track

Keeping an eye on this would be a good idea.

Sorry to hear you had flooding at your place. Did it at least drown the roosters?

I've just had this forwarded to me. As I will be effected I should probably move my car too if this is true!

"The Municipal department is announcing for all cars to Be removed from Changklan road due to the flood coming again due to monsoon coming in from the Philippines "

Can anyone shed more light on this?

Just heard from a local of possible big water coming down from the North at 4am this coming morning.

Anyone heard anything similar?

If that were true, Mae Taeng and Ban Pao would already have seen it. Just spoke to folks up there and no mention of high water. You can probably put that in the same bin with the rumors of dams bursting. ;)

Just heard from a local of possible big water coming down from the North at 4am this coming morning.

Anyone heard anything similar?

If that were true, Mae Taeng and Ban Pao would already have seen it. Just spoke to folks up there and no mention of high water. You can probably put that in the same bin with the rumors of dams bursting. ;)

Ok thanks. We have a shop on Chang Klan so times are a bit tense, and the missus tends to worry a bit.

It was bad in town and the area near the river, but all get clean up pretty quick. Business as usual now

What flood? As of yesterday 3 October 2011 I don't see no flooding in Chiang Mai.

So how bad is the flooding that you see?

Thanks T-Dog ... It is not the rain that I am concerned about as although yes this has created a lot of floodings, the release of water from the dams is what has created the more severe and serious floodings. all around.....so the announcement today through the TV SMS was that they plan to release water from the Bhumibhol Dam and have already alerted people situated along the Ping River to brace for new floods and get their valuables up to higher grounds ... They also ordered evacuation of 16 districts near Ayuthaya and have also issued another warning 2 days ago that :"Residents in the North warned to prepare for evacuation"... which was the content of my initial post / link.... I know newspapers can blow things up to unrealistic proportions but having just 2 days ago seen my little babbling canal waterway become a raging water way and flood my entire grounds to over 1 meter I am now not such of a non believer ...

Roosters ...?? Hehehe.. you remember my frantic pleads for help huh?? Well interestingly enough they just disappeared one day .. don't know why or how but all of a sudden about 1 year ago ...Pouf!! they were gone ... AND NO!! I had absolutely nothing to do with it ..... or maybe I did with my experimental sonic devices....:unsure::whistling:

It was like a little miracle ... What a relief !!!

Thanks for the links and will keep an eye on them and the progress of things

Thanks again!!

Annabel... If we do get some more heavy rain, it could get bad, but the reporting by the Nation seems a bit sensationalistic since Northern Thailand is only getting light scattered rains at the moment. They also published an article a few days ago that had dam data that was incorrect.

The tropical storm on its way has lost a lot of energy and precip, but it could still cause problematic rains. (When the links below open, Scroll Down)

TS Nalgae Satellite Image

TS Nalgae Forecast Track

Keeping an eye on this would be a good idea.

Sorry to hear you had flooding at your place. Did it at least drown the roosters?

I'm scheduled to depart CM at 06.30 tomorrow morning (Thursday 5th) for a work assignment at Lampang. Vehicle will be a bigger size pick-up or a CRV.

Can any CM members share any news on the road to Lampang, please?

Thanks.

Scorecard, have heard the road is closed between Lampang and Tak, somewhere between Thoen and Sop Prap. All traffic between Bkk and CM is being told to go through Phrae.

Have also been told may take a week to fix as they have to wait for the water to go down.

I'm scheduled to depart CM at 06.30 tomorrow morning (Thursday 5th) for a work assignment at Lampang. Vehicle will be a bigger size pick-up or a CRV.

Thanks.

Scorecard, have heard the road is closed between Lampang and Tak, somewhere between Thoen and Sop Prap. All traffic between Bkk and CM is being told to go through Phrae.

Have also been told may take a week to fix as they have to wait for the water to go down.

Hi nongnoycowboy,

Thanks for sharing. Other feedback I've received saying pretty much the same, so looks like it's OK right now to drive CM to Lampang, but more rain scheduled so the situation could of course change.

Appreciated.

In 1994, there was a massive amount of rain in the northern districts of Chiang Mai province as well as a very low weather front extending all the way through to VN. It rained for 10 days straight! As you may know there are quite a few earthen dams throughout Thailand. 10 of these earthen dams actually broke and flooded surrounding / downstream communities. Quite a bit of damage occurred that year.... All the dams had overflow pipes to relieve water at the full level. In the instance of one earthen dam 9 km from my farm house, the drongos decided to repair the spillway (the "last chance" drainage over the top of the dam) by using DIRT filled bags to keep it weighted down from some odd reason.... Oh... this was JUST before the rain season!!!!! The ensuing result was that the spillway was blocked, the overflow pipes were clogged (found this out later) and BANG the dam burst.... There were senators involved during the planning stage and SURPRISE SURPRISE! It was later found out during investigations (and recorded on video) that the dam was poorly constructed / corners were "cut". For example, "dirt and gravel is supposed to be of a certain density. This dirt will be packed/tamped by heavy rollers every 50cm of height. This was not done.... Every 80cm to 1 meter was tamped. The dam had approx. 1.5M tons (metric) behind it and just to give you an idea, my house was 9km away, and we had approx. 6000 mango trees that were 2 1/2 years old... well, that water came so fast and furious that all those trees were bent at a 30 degree angle. The depth of water at it's highest mark was 81 cm! We had no power for a week and the water took 4 days to recede. The video of the investigation was carried by my wife to a meeting in Chiang Rai where there was a "compensation" meeting held with 5 senators. They denied everything on national TV (live on Channel 3) until they all went white when my wife pulled out the video and rolled in a VCR and monitor. The government at the time awarded compensation (in our area) for over 600 households BUT took 3 years to get any money from them. Who was PM then?? Wiki excerpt "Chuan was elected in 1992 after the abortive (my edit: BLOODY) coup by General Suchinda Kraprayoon, thus becoming Thailand's first prime minister to come to power without either aristocratic or military backing. His first administration consisted of a five party coalition of the Democrat, New Aspiration, Palang Dhamma (my edit: Thaksin started out politics with...??? CHAMOLNG!!!!), Social Action and Social Unity Parties until he was defeated in the 1995 election, but assumed power in late 1997 following the fall of the Chavalit Yongchaiyut administration, which was held responsible for the economic crisis that beset Thailand in 1997. Although being criticised as a slow actor and allowing numerous corruption scandals, Chuan managed to meet factional demands." Sound familiar dear TV readers???? Moral of the story? Don't build dams but weirs and canals and have balances/checks at local levels after actually teaching say... the TAO's "engineer" (one in every TAO btw) on how weirs and canals should be constructed.

Edited by scotbeve

Thanks.

Hi nongnoycowboy,

Thanks for sharing. Other feedback I've received saying pretty much the same, so looks like it's OK right now to drive CM to Lampang, but more rain scheduled so the situation could of course change.

Appreciated.

I'll be interested to hear any news about the status of road between Chiang Mai and Tak, my niece is trying to travel to CM from Sukhothai for the school break hence we're keen to know if she'll be able to make it.

Thanks.

Hi nongnoycowboy,

Appreciated.

I'll be interested to hear any news about the status of road between Chiang Mai and Tak, my niece is trying to travel to CM from Sukhothai for the school break hence we're keen to know if she'll be able to make it.

When driving to Sukhothai I would go the direction of Phrae anyway, staying on Highway #11 in Lampang, (so going straight on and not right to Highway 1), and then taking a right before Den Chai, turning on to Highway 101.

Looking at recent reports, that route should be okay,however the traffic may be VERY heavy if Highway 1 is being avoided.

Thanks.

Sorry, not sure about roads, but my wife's Niece, who lives with us, went by CM Lampang train as far as Hangshot District yesterday and train left at scheduled time. Of course that isn't the road, but might consider if roads closed.