Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

The river went below 3m last night :) that must be the first time for over a week. The predicted tropical storm doesn't seem to have affected us either so hopefully we're back to normal.

Edited by Loaded

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The river went below 3m last night :) that must be the first time for over a week. The predicted tropical storm doesn't seem to have affected us either so hopefully we're back to normal.

Thanks good news, hoping more rain or water does not come down to Chiang Mai. :)

I'm scheduled to depart CM at 06.30 tomorrow morning (Thursday 5th) for a work assignment at Lampang. Vehicle will be a bigger size pick-up or a CRV.

Can any CM members share any news on the road to Lampang, please?

Thanks.

Scorecard, have heard the road is closed between Lampang and Tak, somewhere between Thoen and Sop Prap. All traffic between Bkk and CM is being told to go through Phrae.

Have also been told may take a week to fix as they have to wait for the water to go down.

Hi nongnoycowboy,

Thanks for sharing. Other feedback I've received saying pretty much the same, so looks like it's OK right now to drive CM to Lampang, but more rain scheduled so the situation could of course change.

Appreciated.

Left CM this morning at 06.30, to Lampang then further to the EGAT Mae Moh operations, arrived here 08.05. Road is in perfect condition, no water anywhere, no mudslides or debris on the road anywhere. Light rain for last 20 minutes of the journey.

Hi, this might be a silly question but can I actually still come to Chiang Mai? Ive never been and ive already booked my flight to LOS for start of Novemeber but havnt yet booked the flight to CM since all this flood business. Where would be best to get this kind of info, my embassy etc?

Thanks C

On here as up to the hour messages are posted from ex-pats living in the area and thai visa news flashes...Thanks Lizard for your link by the way!

Plane is your only option at the moment as the airport is still open..just keep watching on here for ex-pat up to the hour messages on the situation is your best option!

Edited by sydneyjed

Cool but is the city still "functioning" etc? Maybe what im asking is are the bars open lol :)

The bars are always open every day......but you have to practice drinking through the snorkle....

really the town is dry and very few places of interest would not be available.

The river is back down just about to where it normally is and generally no daily problems..... I am right on the river, so I have a front row seat.

keep your plans in place , but do watch this thread in the days to come. It is still the rainy season and anything could happen.....I have been in this location for 15 years and I say its about over, I don't think we will get any more flooding this year....

Gonzo

i hope

Cool but is the city still "functioning" etc? Maybe what im asking is are the bars open lol :)

The bars are always open every day......but you have to practice drinking through the snorkle....

The river is back down just about to where it normally is and generally no daily problems..... I am right on the river, so I have a front row seat.

keep your plans in place , but do watch this thread in the days to come. It is still the rainy season and anything could happen.....I have been in this location for 15 years and I say its about over, I don't think we will get any more flooding this year....

Gonzo

i hope

Yes Gonzo would know, he loves the river water!

See you in about 4 weeks.

All the water levels should have dropped more by then. :)

Does anyone have the latest on trains operating to and from Bangkok...is part of the line still closed?

Hope this link helps Railway :)

Lots of flooding between CM and BKK - I guess even when the water is gone they'll take some time to re-establish train lines.

Take the plane, and book tickets early - I imagine they're pretty much booked out at the moment ...

Edited by nikster

Gonzo

i hope

To save any confusion, when Gonzo says the town is 'dry' he is of course referring to the flood rather than the bars!

Just got back from Mae Taeng and the rivers are still running quite high. Some minor flooding in the adjacent rice fields at the HWY 1323 bridge near Mae Ngat Dam. The river is 60 CM down from where it was at its crest ten days ago, but still a meter higher than it was three weeks ago. Most of this water is coming down from Chiang Dao as the river next to the road in that direction is high. Judging by the uprooted trees laying everywhere in that valley, the flood crest would have been an impressive thing to see. We took a run up into the mountains and saw some areas in steep country where the flash floods must have been terrible.

The Mae Taeng River has come down a lot. Mae Ngat Dam is releasing just a bit more water than last week but pretty much a normal wet season maintenance level.

The incredible thing is that here in Chiang Mai I do not recall seeing any rain more than the odd drizzle for the best part of 2 weeks. A week ago my garden and some of the house were under 2 feet of water, last night I had to water the garden as everthing was getting too dry!

Its getting cooler in the mornings, has the threat of more floods gone for this year?

Lots of flooding between CM and BKK - I guess even when the water is gone they'll take some time to re-establish train lines.

Take the plane, and book tickets early - I imagine they're pretty much booked out at the moment ...

Excuse me but when the news articles from Bangkok talk about " all bus services to the North " being cancelled

do you know if this means Chiang Mai ?

do you know if the Nakhorn Chai Air bus services from Chiang Mai to Bangkok are still running because I assumed

they would be able to take alternative routes unlike rail services?

Anyone know if the post is getting through? I've got some stuff coming up from BKK by EMS.

Sure is. Ordered something Wednesday from bkk by ems. It arrived in less than 24 hours here in san sai, Chiang mai.

That's a relief. Thanks.

I have seen many people praising Nakornchai Air. I was thinking of taking it on the middle of this month to "tour" the provinces going up from BKK to CM. Do you think it's still a good idea now with the flooding?

if they are still running I recommend you try to book a seat on the first class bus. See The slide presentation of the inside of the

buses by clicking on the Middle Arrow in the circle in the upper left corner of the screen.

But you have to book well in advance to get a seat on one of these buses because they are always full because they only have 21 seats. but they are very comfortable and far more convenient than flying.

http://www.nca.co.th/firstclass.php

Edited by khaan

Hi, this might be a silly question but can I actually still come to Chiang Mai? Ive never been and ive already booked my flight to LOS for start of Novemeber but havnt yet booked the flight to CM since all this flood business. Where would be best to get this kind of info, my embassy etc?

Thanks C

It wouldn't have been a silly question a week ago, although a great deal of life in CM went on above and around the tide line. No reason to expect the same at the beginning of November, nor really much reason to book ahead unless you're planning to be in the area for Loy Krathong (5-10?).

Raining in Mahidol road area and appernently the Thais are rushing to move their cars to higher ground. Cant see this would be necessary....

It could rain in torrents in that area for weeks and make not one iota of difference to river level within the city. Lemmings, the lot of em. :whistling:

Op, La Nina aside, you'll be fine in November. Rainfall typically drops right off towards end of October, when there's a definite seasonal change including lower humidity and nightly temps... though don't take my word for it. ;)

I have seen many people praising Nakornchai Air. I was thinking of taking it on the middle of this month to "tour" the provinces going up from BKK to CM. Do you think it's still a good idea now with the flooding?

if they are still running I recommend you try to book a seat on the first class bus. See The slide presentation of the inside of the

buses by clicking on the Middle Arrow in the circle in the upper left corner of the screen.

But you have to book well in advance to get a seat on one of these buses because they are always full because they only have 21 seats. but they are very comfortable and far more convenient than flying.

http://www.nca.co.th/firstclass.php

Agreed. Good company, good/safe ride as well. If you think the driver is going too fast (and they won't...) you complain first to the driver, then the company. The driver will actually get fired if there are ANY complaints. I suggest to wear long pants / slacks and socks because the air conditioning is TOO good!