BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
iainiain101

Flood Warnings 2011

Flooding in Pai according to the television news. Gonzo... Do you have an evacuation plan there?

It was flooding a bit (not there but seen photos on Facebook) but not as bad as in the great floods a few years ago. River level is very high, some light flooding, and of course as to be expected bamboo bridges and those straw hut guest houses right new to the river damaged.

Pai July 31, 2011

post-20814-0-45619100-1312253949_thumb.j

CM seems to be fine now. Yesterday the canal road canal was close to overflowing in the morning - 5 - 10 cm under some bridges - then very low towards the evening - sure looks like the authorities are doing a good job preventing flooding, really, I can only imagine that extremely high level was due to draining a dam somewhere.

Chiang Mai Canal Rd @ Suthep Rd August 1, 2011:

post-20814-0-39044000-1312254021_thumb.j

That CM flood map posted above was very interesting, thanks a lot for that. Does anyone have historic flood levels in the ping river?

We just bought some land at the very outskirts of the flood zone near HD road. In my estimate we should be OK if we raise the land by 80cm or so, then we should be well above any flooding. We were planning to do this anyway because that's what some of the neighbors in that moo baan had done and we figured there was probably a good reason... ;)

Edited by nikster

As a point of reference, anyone know the water level at Nawarat bridge during the floods several years ago?

Here at The Pun Pun we do have a bit of water in the lower back yard, Still about half metre to go before into any of the lower rooms.

My adsl has been off since about 8pm yest. til just about 15 mins ago.....so I don't know if someone gave an answer to what happened to the link on post 1 to the hydro site ...... it sez it cannot be found.....

Anybody know of another link to the hourly flooding level page????

It does look like its almost stopped its rise, hopefully will start back down if no new water is forthcoming.

Gonzo

*quote deleted*

You sound a little over concerned.. (New to Chiang Mai I suppose?) Flooding sure is a nuisance if your house is in an affected area (mostly near the river). If your living room floods it makes an incredible mess.

However it's not like you'll be 'fleeing from a tsunami' or anything like that. Unless you're told otherwise it's business as usual. Flooding (if any) happens very gradually.

And, if you're in the Nong Hoy area then it may be a traffic nuisance. You may have trouble getting to places from there if worst comes to worst. Often people in low lying areas move their cars up to higher ground, typically along Aom Muang road. Ask around in that case.

Edited by Scott
response to deleted post edited

Looks (thankfully) like my 60cm estimate was wrong yesterday - it's risen a lot in Nong Hoi south of the bridge but still has about 30 cm to go. These pictures are of the area adjacent to the bridge looking east and show that there isn't much leeway there either.

i-dhr4xL7-XL.jpg

i-n3cnCVB-XL.jpg

i-5QJ8Fvd-XL.jpg

i-qRs9xQV-XL.jpg

Yes, that underpass beneath Mahidol Rd on the north side always goes under first, and water was flowing into it at about 8:30 this morning although it wasn't completely submerged at that point.

The pics are great but it's a shame they can't convey the sheer speed and power with which all that water is moving. Like you said earlier, an awesome sight. People should get down and have a look if they've got nothing better to do today. Raw, uncompromising nature at your very doorstep ;)

3.74 again at 11:00

Dropping in San Sai, looks like a crest.

So, actually this is managed expertly by very competent people. Same with the Canal Road, going to capacity but not over it.

( Thought I'd mention that given some of the cheap shots by some sour people here and there. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> You sound a little over concerned.. (New to Chiang Mai I suppose?)

With all due respect - been here 5 years by the way - I have 28 students I am responsible for, and my school has taken a stick-the-head-in-the-silt attitude. I was hoping if something happens I will find out some 15 minutes earlier through thaivisa than any other channel. Parents would have to get here and take the kids before I could go anywhere and that could take hours, and if it gets a little worse, I would have to pack up all the important stuff in my classroom and move it upstairs. So, yes, I am concerned, if I am allowed to be. I like to know what is coming, and not just let it ooops flood the classroom (worst case scenario), Thai style.

Thanks for the updates to everyone, much appreciated.

Just had a call from a friend in Land & House Maejo, and the roads and some houses there are apperently flooded.

Took a drive up the Sangkampang road just now, and I would recommend anyone planning on buying in the new moobans up there does likewise, as it appears they have not raised the fields enough. The Kuang river has flooded and here is a photo, it was appently a lot worse last night.

post-23669-0-53596500-1312262229_thumb.j

> You sound a little over concerned.. (New to Chiang Mai I suppose?)

With all due respect - been here 5 years by the way - I have 28 students I am responsible for, and my school has taken a stick-the-head-in-the-silt attitude. I was hoping if something happens I will find out some 15 minutes earlier through thaivisa than any other channel. Parents would have to get here and take the kids before I could go anywhere and that could take hours, and if it gets a little worse, I would have to pack up all the important stuff in my classroom and move it upstairs. So, yes, I am concerned, if I am allowed to be. I like to know what is coming, and not just let it ooops flood the classroom (worst case scenario), Thai style.

Thanks for the updates to everyone, much appreciated.

Don't feed the trolls. There are some good eggs on here that'll help out and provide one with useful info, and then there's the smarmy dolts that seem to have nothing better to do. Best to just ignore them. ;)

3.74 again at 11:00

Dropping in San Sai, looks like a crest.

Gonzo try this link http://hydro-1.net/08HYDRO/HD-06/HOURLY.html?id=61

Thanks for that link Canuckamuck. I do see by the latest reading that it has apparently leveled out now, although my highly scientific marking on the wall shows a drop of a cm,,,,,,,however that may have been reflecting the tsunami created by a swim by frog.

Lets hope it goes down now guys and gals and more rain holds off for a bit.

.......and to the statement of the officials taking it right to the flood point then putting on the brakes.......better make that flood point at Narrawat..... as some places have already been underwater as in flooded.

Gonzo

Just had a call from a friend in Land & House Maejo, and the roads and some houses there are apperently flooded.

Certainly is and more on the way apparently: