BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
iainiain101

Flood Warnings 2011

Some of Chiang Mai.

This time.

We are just starting the two rainiest months.

Looks like Chiang Mai dodged the flood bullet. River is dropping slowly and most of the heavy rain is currently south and west of us.

Not up in the San Sai area. Lots of flooding in moo baans Saun Nong Si, Tanawan, Land and home and others. Just drive up Maejo Rd. Locals say it's worse then the big one in 2006.

Land & Houses in San Sai is flooded. Especially in Cholada - waves of water every time a truck passes by. Cars are not able to make it down the main sois.

So much for a higher end development..

It is a bit strange though, because the water level is well below the level at which the hydro site says it will flood (for San Sai). Is this flooding from the Ping river? I guess San Sai is a pretty big district, but still.

L&H flooded because of the release of dam water; everything else is icing on the cake, such as possible farmer's mains pipe bursting and localized rain water. The canal (stream) through the middle burst both banks, though luckily the main, faster flowing canal runs along the western perimeter and bursts over the paddies. Both canals are still well up and free flowing. In the floods of 2005, when the city was inundated, it came up here but didn't even clear the curb; yesterday, road out front up to knee level, neighbour's house screwed and many cars kaput. There was talk of the run-off being ramped up again if the rain persisted in the catchment area.

We are flooded here in Sansai - Mae Jo Road area. Can't get down some sois. Some cars are stuck in the middle of some of the sois.

Land & Houses in San Sai is flooded. Especially in Cholada - waves of water every time a truck passes by. Cars are not able to make it down the main sois.

So much for a higher end development..

It is a bit strange though, because the water level is well below the level at which the hydro site says it will flood (for San Sai). Is this flooding from the Ping river? I guess San Sai is a pretty big district, but still.

L&H flooded because of the release of dam water; everything else is icing on the cake, such as possible farmer's mains pipe bursting and localized rain water. The canal (stream) through the middle burst both banks, though luckily the main, faster flowing canal runs along the western perimeter and bursts over the paddies. Both canals are still well up and free flowing. In the floods of 2005, when the city was inundated, it came up here but didn't even clear the curb; yesterday, road out front up to knee level, neighbour's house screwed and many cars kaput. There was talk of the run-off being ramped up again if the rain persisted in the catchment area.

Which Dam released water, and wouldnt the water have come from the Ping?

Is it possible that to stop the river flooding in town, and as the canal road 'canal' was full, the authorities allowed the river to flood the paddy fields upstream of town?

L&H flooded because of the release of dam water;

How do you know this? Dam release water would have to enter the canal system far far north and come down it that canal system wouldn't it? Dam release water into the Ping would not come up out of the Ping anywhere near Mae Joe would it?

How do you know this? Dam release water would have to enter the canal system far far north and come down it that canal system wouldn't it? Dam release water into the Ping would not come up out of the Ping anywhere near Mae Joe would it?

It's what L&H has been telling its residents. They've also been told that if it keeps raining, the dam's gates will be opened again. I don't know what dam either.

Not to make light of a serious subject...a cubit is roughly 18 to 22 inchs...a measue taken from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger....Thanks for those who put up the flood map. I'm thinking of renting in CM for the first time and it's necessary advice... Mike

Just a short while ago the river did crest the riverbank here in front of The Pun Pun

At the rate of river rising it should be in the lower back yard in an hour or two......

Now where did I park the ark....

\G

NOAH>>>>>

How many cubits? and btw.... what ever is a cubit ?

A cubit is a itsy bitsy teeny weenie ice cube that comes from Cuba......

I thought everyone knew that.... :)

The Ping is the largest river in CM, but certainly far from being the only river. And not the only river with dams on it. The water level in the Mae Khaaw is the highest I have ever known it, reportedly because of a dam failure in Mae Jo. This river is causing current flooding in the Sansai area and this or one of the other rivers may be responsible for the problems at L&H.

It's what L&H has been telling its residents. They've also been told that if it keeps raining, the dam's gates will be opened again. I don't know what dam either.

Not actually; L&H never told us anything. Guess the other river had some bearing, but after having called Mae Ngat Dam and them telling us they were releasing up until the 31/1st (and the fact that the canals going through L&H connect with the spillway there, L&H flooded Monday night) it's not taxing to connect the dots. If it were solely the Ping, folks along Chang Khlan would be inundated. Mae Jo is higher and the big flood of 05 only put a few inches in the sois here. Paddies being filled up prior to this flood also wouldn't have helped... tougher for high canals to lose water.

Not actually; L&H never told us anything. Guess the other river had some bearing, but after having called Mae Ngat Dam and them telling us they were releasing up until the 31/1st (and the fact that the canals going through L&H connect with the spillway there, L&H flooded Monday night) it's not taxing to connect the dots. If it were solely the Ping, folks along Chang Khlan would be inundated. Mae Jo is higher and the big flood of 05 only put a few inches in the sois here. Paddies being filled up prior to this flood also wouldn't have helped... tougher for high canals to lose water.

Thanks. What "other river"(not the Mae Ping)?

Took a ride to Mae Ngat today, 4 August. The water level in the reservoir is so low there's no way they could release water down their spillway. I'm guessing the level would have to rise at least another meter for water to even reach the concrete apron of the spillway. We then rode over the the Mae Taeng water project and witnessed a lot of water flowing over their spillway which leads to the Ping. The project diverts water down the canal that runs parallel to Canal Rd. here in Chiang Mai. It was flowing in a very controlled way through the gates. Has anyone been over to the Mae Kuang dam recently?

EDIT: Come to think of it, my daughter is in a school in an area that did actually flood in the past, AND I've had some water in/around the house a couple years ago, but you don't see me getting all neurotic about it. You'd think this is the last days of Pompei.

More like 'Up Pompei', for those of us who take life less-seriously ! :lol:

Hope that everyone comes through this relatively-OK, but it is only the start of August, with a long way to go yet.

We had a minor-flood due to a village-irrigation klong getting blocked where it goes under-the-road, and this caused back-up onto our land & fish-ponds. Driving up the Mae-Jo road after lunch, still widespread flooding on both sides North of Mee Chock Plaza, and lots of locals out with their plastic-pipe crossbows ... has anyone ever seen them catch anything with those ?

Took a ride to Mae Ngat today, 4 August. The water level in the reservoir is so low there's no way they could release water down their spillway. I'm guessing the level would have to rise at least another meter for water to even reach the concrete apron of the spillway. We then rode over the the Mae Taeng water project and witnessed a lot of water flowing over their spillway which leads to the Ping. The project diverts water down the canal that runs parallel to Canal Rd. here in Chiang Mai. It was flowing in a very controlled way through the gates. Has anyone been over to the Mae Kuang dam recently?

It's that low because they've been releasing it. ;) Sluice gates being low down, of course, or there'd be no way to control the depth. Haven't been to Mae Kuang for couple weeks so will take a ride out and have a butcher's, but pretty sure the run-off goes southwest to the south of town.