Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our neighbour in Siriwatanna is one of the group that administers the Ban and just called to tell us that they've been advised that about midday will be the make or break time and that it's likely there will be flooding today. Moving house tomorrow so at least most things are packed but living in a bungalow so nowhere to put them :(. Computer on the table, I think.

T-Dog.

Please check PM from me.

MSPain

I THINK WE ARE IN FOR IT, THIS TIME

Red Lights are now flashing on the San Sai Flood Chart

the rate of increase here on the Ping was greater in the last hour than in the 6 7 AM hour

From all indications we may be in for another bad one

Gonzo

Gonzo, hate to say it but you may be right. The levels were still increasing an hour ago up here in Mae Taeng so I expect a steady rise in your numbers there. Lots of debris in the water as well. The rains up here have let up a little but still very steady.

Our neighbour in Siriwatanna is one of the group that administers the Ban and just called to tell us that they've been advised that about midday will be the make or break time and that it's likely there will be flooding today. Moving house tomorrow so at least most things are packed but living in a bungalow so nowhere to put them :(. Computer on the table, I think.

couldn't you start today instead with the more damageable stuff?

A few minutes ago an Oh Boh Toh sound truck came around (I'm in Tanawan) announcing that since it rained hard all of last night up north, water will be released from the dam today (Mae Kwang Dam presumably since the Mae Kaew River, which is connected to the Mae Kwang river, runs through Tanawan).

Edited by Somnambulist

..... and I've just received a call that they have announced that they are going to release water from Mae Gnat and what I am hoping is that they have already been releasing water, which would be the reason that the water level has risen so quickly..... If so it would be good if they shut the gates for a couple hours and then reopen if necessary..... perhaps the water level would be go down a bit....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I live on the Ping River about 1km North of the Outer Ring Road (Hwy121). This is the highest I have seen the River in the 4 years I have lived in this house.

The first photo I will call a "normal" view..............

post-3361-0-83624100-1317181785_thumb.jp

This is today at 10:30AM..........

post-3361-0-98487900-1317181873_thumb.jp

post-3361-0-52688000-1317181842_thumb.jp

A lot of debris flowing down river at a very fast rate.

Fortunately, my land goes up what I call two more "levels", about 3 meters, and has never flooded. Or so they say......:huh:

The other side (west) of the river is also supposed to be lower than my side.

Good luck to all those that are not so lucky. It is still rising.

..... and I've just received a call that they have announced that they are going to release water from Mae Gnat and what I am hoping is that they have already been releasing water, which would be the reason that the water level has risen so quickly..... If so it would be good if they shut the gates for a couple hours and then reopen if necessary..... perhaps the water level would be go down a bit....

I just got back from Mae Ngat Dam, and it is NOT full. The water is still BELOW the level of the spillway gates so they could not release water even if they opened the gates. The amount of water leaving the dam is at normal levels. Lot's of dam rumors going around at the moment, but the rush of current water is coming from the Ping and Mae Taeng Rivers.

The Ping River crossing the road to Mae Ngat dam is continuing to rise and valley is getting more flooded. It is still not at the 2005 levels however.

the wife just left to pick up the kid from CMIS... apparently they are sending all kids home due to rising water...

yeah prince royal sending kids home at lunchtime too, half day.

CMIS cancelled for thursday for sure and friday is on a "wait and see" basis

Keep the updates coming.

I heard the trucks but had no idea what they were saying! (I really need to learn Thai better!!!)

Has anyone got the link to the map that shows the flood areas and different stages. I remember someone posted it once before.

I don't recall the link, but I had saved the map and I have attached it as a PDF, if it works. floodareamap.pdf

another warning had gone off , i think is worth looking at it and move some stuff up if you can ,is better to be prepare then sorry . in 2005 it was a total surpise for many people .

i heard is about 4.5 - 4.7 in another town . while my next door call me and sound so stress out . i am going out to have a look now .

Keep the updates coming.

I heard the trucks but had no idea what they were saying! (I really need to learn Thai better!!!)

Has anyone got the link to the map that shows the flood areas and different stages. I remember someone posted it once before.

I don't recall the link, but I had saved the map and I have attached it as a PDF, if it works. floodareamap.pdf

thanks I been looking all over for that map

I just got back from Mae Ngat Dam, and it is NOT full. The water is still BELOW the level of the spillway gates so they could not release water even if they opened the gates.

The spillway's essentially an upper failsafe drain. Sluice gates are low down or there'd be no way to control water levels or emptying the dam for repairs. I'd posit the water level is lower because they have been releasing before any torrent comes in, just as they did when L&H flooded last month. It wouldn't be clever to maintain it at top level in the wet season.

I have been in the village area since 7am helping to clear bamboo and crap from under the local bridges. It's just stopped raining where I am in Mae Taeng. Things have calmed down here…for now. Good luck everyone!

Photos taken this morning.

My gate out, my drive way and the burst river bank in my village. My pond has breached, but I'm lucky so far.

post-69255-0-63163800-1317185650_thumb.j

post-69255-0-11093600-1317185664_thumb.j

post-69255-0-55502500-1317185677_thumb.j

I just checked the flood plane map and the area around Varee School is not supposed to get wet until the river level gets to 4.20m. That's only 16cm from the present water level taken at 11am, if the flood maps are correct. I'm in BKK and so had my assistant call the school at 9am this morning and was told "No problem" here and no problem for your son going home to Hangdong this evening after school. Any other Varee parents here with more info than I have?

I just got back from Mae Ngat Dam, and it is NOT full. The water is still BELOW the level of the spillway gates so they could not release water even if they opened the gates.

The spillway's essentially an upper failsafe drain. Sluice gates are low down or there'd be no way to control water levels or emptying the dam for repairs. I'd posit the water level is lower because they have been releasing before any torrent comes in, just as they did when L&H flooded last month. It wouldn't be clever to maintain it at top level in the wet season.

I agree that they do indeed have deeper gates, but that discharge is pretty nominal. Also, note that Mae Ngat Dam is northeast of Mae Taeng and not the one in Doi Saket.