Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

I'm in BKK and so had my assistant call the school at 9am this morning and was told "No problem" here and no problem for your son going home to Hangdong this evening after school.

Schools in town are sending kids home, although, granted, Varee is on the higher up Mahidol. That sounds kind of typical, though. How would they know it'll be fine later, are they clairvoyant? It's risen more than a metre in 6 hrs; that'll slow up as it pours over but the flow isn't abating much.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Could you please update the situation in this thread, newsletter going out as we speak. If you have pictures it would be great, thanks :wai:

At least 4 dead in Chiang Mai flooding as water level goes critical, trains and schools closed

Full story:

I'm in BKK and so had my assistant call the school at 9am this morning and was told "No problem" here and no problem for your son going home to Hangdong this evening after school.

Schools in town are sending kids home, although, granted, Varee is on the higher up Mahidol. That sounds kind of typical, though. How would they know it'll be fine later, are they clairvoyant? It's risen more than a metre in 6 hrs; that'll slow up as it pours over but the flow isn't abating much.

Exactly, and my son must come across the river to get home. I may have him picked up just to ease my mind. Thanks!

Ok, I think my computer was having a little pre-coffee glitch. Sorry about that.

Here are a couple of photos i took within the last hour. You can see Nakornping bridge isn't under but the banks on the east side are overflowing and all up this side the locals are sandbagging like crazy. Getting really high on the other side of the river too. Everyone is lining up along the walkways to take a look. No wet toes at Muang Mai market or Wararot yet.

post-134571-0-51628200-1317187776_thumb.post-134571-0-16420100-1317187787_thumb.post-134571-0-79011700-1317187798_thumb.

Edited by CMwanderer

Useful links:

Attachment for flood plain map (approx 1MB)

Current water levels at Ban Mae Tae and Nawarat Bridge. We generally peak here in town about 6 hours after the peak in Mae Tae, and Mae Tae is still rising, albeit only 3cm in the last hour. In the last 6 hours, 90cm there, and from experience (at lower levels of course), a very rough guess would put us at 4.60m-4.70m by 6 this evening.

my wife got a message on her cell phone to pick up our daughter from Sacred Heart this morning. Our daughter didn't have her cell phone because they don't allow cell phones so it was hard to find her, not to mention the traffic gridlock. Many kids couldn't reach their parents, they were told to use a pay phone. It really surprised me when the wife said how glad she was that she paid the 100 baht to be sent the message in case of emergency. Apparently this costs 100 baht at Sacred heart. Not to mix up 2 threads, it's flood related.

having issues loading photos - anyone got some basic how to tips.

Don't forget it is two step process. Once you select the photo, you have to upload it and wait a bit until it gets done. I usually make the photos lower resolution (smaller file) so it will upload faster.

I'm about 10 mins walk from Varee School.

Nothing out of the ordinary here so far. I'm told water levels will peak at about 2pm.

Great, thanks for the info hanuman1.

The traffic near schools who are letting the kids out is chaotic, to get to Varee and out again would probaly take for ever so better the kids stay at Varee rather than get caught in cars if it happened to flood ;), they have an upstairs and a canteen so no problem .

Footnote : if my daughter asks me to pick her up i will tell her to swim home :D

Edited by alfieconn

Wow parents have to pay to be notified about their children in an emergency! That's insane. They can get a service which will tie the entire database of parents numbers to be notified.

my wife got a message on her cell phone to pick up our daughter from Sacred Heart this morning. Our daughter didn't have her cell phone because they don't allow cell phones so it was hard to find her, not to mention the traffic gridlock. Many kids couldn't reach their parents, they were told to use a pay phone. It really surprised me when the wife said how glad she was that she paid the 100 baht to be sent the message in case of emergency. Apparently this costs 100 baht at Sacred heart. Not to mix up 2 threads, it's flood related.

I just checked the flood plane map and the area around Varee School is not supposed to get wet until the river level gets to 4.20m. That's only 16cm from the present water level taken at 11am, if the flood maps are correct. I'm in BKK and so had my assistant call the school at 9am this morning and was told "No problem" here and no problem for your son going home to Hangdong this evening after school. Any other Varee parents here with more info than I have?

As I see it Varee will be flooded when the level will be at 4.60 m (level7. At 1200 it was 4.22m.

A customer collected her dog at around 11am, and she told me the Doi Saket reservoir was for 98% full.

According to a pic posted on Facebook the water is now flowing over the top.

Still keeping it 'dry' at the kennel. Brrrr.

I just checked the flood plane map and the area around Varee School is not supposed to get wet until the river level gets to 4.20m. That's only 16cm from the present water level taken at 11am, if the flood maps are correct. I'm in BKK and so had my assistant call the school at 9am this morning and was told "No problem" here and no problem for your son going home to Hangdong this evening after school. Any other Varee parents here with more info than I have?

As I see it Varee will be flooded when the level will be at 4.60 m (level7. At 1200 it was 4.22m.

13.20. My grandaughter is at Varee. My son (her father) called Varee about 15 minutes ago. They say no problem right now, but no further comment.