Flood Warnings 2011

These pics taken at Mae Ngat Dam a few weeks ago. I can't imagine the dam manager letting water out needlessly when it's no where close to being full.

As I understood the dam is not build to get full with water, the walls cannot take the water pressure, so they could release water even if not full.

If you look at the 2nd photo, the water level is well below the spillway. The first photo shows water level gauges, indicating the water can reach a lot higher.

This is my understanding also. The reservoir has been much higher more often than not. Besides the water stains on the gauges painted on the wall and the posts stuck in the ground, there's the tree line around the reservoir ending quite a ways above the present level.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

06:15 Weds

The Thai Gov't in action

The river is on the rise and has gone to 3.03 at Narrawat Br., as of midnight last. This is usually a yellow blinking caution and cause for some concern and caution. But the Hydro folks say 'what the hey' my shift is over, I'm going home or to sleep and to hell with the flooding. No reporting in hazard conditions. Gives you some concern for their sense of responsibility to their being and job.

normal times , I can understand , but times where there are potential serious problems ?????...... no wonder people feel poorly towards these workers.

G

The Thai Gov't in action

The river is on the rise and has gone to 3.03 at Narrawat Br., as of midnight last. This is usually a yellow blinking caution and cause for some concern and caution. But the Hydro folks say 'what the hey' my shift is over, I'm going home or to sleep and to hell with the flooding. No reporting in hazard conditions. Gives you some concern for their sense of responsibility to their being and job.

normal times , I can understand , but times where there are potential serious problems ?????...... no wonder people feel poorly towards these workers.

G

Why can't you just accept that they know what's gong on? If there is a flood then fine, you can complain, but when everything is fine I don't see the point in continued bitching, especially from someone who has encroached all the way to the mid winter level of the river. Just let them do their job, I'm sure they will return the courtesy and let you get on with the chicken fried steaks without too many comments?

(Looking at the weather radar last night, the major showers were moving in from the South-West. So that's not where the river is. (Well, other rivers are there so that would be of some concern) but it's quite possible that the rise in the Ping river is really quite moderate. )

Edited by CheGuava

Why can't you just accept that they know what's gong on? If there is a flood then fine, you can complain, but when everything is fine I don't see the point in continued bitching, especially from someone who has encroached all the way to the mid winter level of the river. Just let them do their job, I'm sure they will return the courtesy and let you get on with the chicken fried steaks without too many comments?

Meaowwww.... I can't believe that you said that !!!!

The Thai Gov't in action

G

(Looking at the weather radar last night, the major showers were moving in from the South-West. So that's not where the river is. (Well, other rivers are there so that would be of some concern) but it's quite possible that the rise in the Ping river is really quite moderate. )

Really sorry that my post added to your being upset.....maybe some Preparation H would help...

If you are not concerned with the river level, thats fine... but I am....and having , in critical times , hourly postings is very important to me, as it gives me some indication on what to or maybe should do.

As far as encroaching on the river at mid winter levels, maybe you should take a look before making blind comments.

G

To anyone who has interest, but may not have access to the Hydro info, the river is coming up pretty fast now.

It should be coming over into some of the lower areas along the river , shortly. Its over 3.37 at N Bridge.

This could be the worst flood level we have had this year, if it does not taper off..... Still the San Sai reading has not tapered off either and we usually follow behind those readings....

If you have concern with the river lever, best stay alert for the next few hrs.

G

To anyone who has interest, but may not have access to the Hydro info, the river is coming up pretty fast now.

It should be coming over into some of the lower areas along the river , shortly. Its over 3.37 at N Bridge.

This could be the worst flood level we have had this year, if it does not taper off..... Still the San Sai reading has not tapered off either and we usually follow behind those readings....

G

Just to point out further..... what has been a normal increase in river level, 1,2 or maybe 3 cm per hour, has now been posted in the hour between noon and 1 PM as a 6 cm rise. I don't ever remember that rapid a rise in the recent past..

Offered as a note of caution to those who may have protection measures to prepare

If the boys on the dam are releasing water, now may be a good time to review slowing down the out-put

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

G

I think San Sai has tapered off now so hopefully no flood levels in Chiang Mai this time. I think this is the third time this year the river has been 10cm or so from flood levels but didn't go higher. Either good luck or excellent management. I'll give the Thais the benefit of the doubt. Considering the amount of rain this year and what's happening down river on the way to Bangkok, we have been very very fortunate this year.

I was just down by the river at the Changklan - Mahidol underpass and was jolted out of my casual driving mood when I saw that the river really is high right now ! I mean.... we're within a foot of cresting the cement sides where the sandbags are gathered just after crossing under the bridge. It's fast-moving too.

I'm with you Gonzo. I had myself a wet drive back from Lamphun last night and was wondering just how bad it was. Didn't think to check the site till about 1 am, and yep, no data. It is odd....not posting when things are not normal circumstances. But now the data's in and it's cause for concern. I do hope/ expect though, that they'll keep monitoring and controlling the situation as well as they did a few weeks ago when the water rose the last time to just the rim, but no more.

Here's that link again: http://hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

The 6 PM reading shows at 3.59..... from what I can see it may increase to 3.60 or 3.61 then hold for an hour or two then someone will pull the plug and it should go down relatively quickly. Thats with no more rain to amount to anything upriver....

Hey maybe we can start some kind of pool as to what time we think it will break under and through the 3.00 on the way down....

Gonzo's pick is tomorrow at 11AM.....

.....and yours ?????

over to you////

The 6 PM reading shows at 3.59..... from what I can see it may increase to 3.60 or 3.61 then hold for an hour or two then someone will pull the plug and it should go down relatively quickly. Thats with no more rain to amount to anything upriver....

Hey maybe we can start some kind of pool as to what time we think it will break under and through the 3.00 on the way down....

.....and yours ?????

over to you////

First one on record will win a free chicken fried steak dinner..... excluding drinks....

....and Uptheos if you win all you have to do is come in and ID yourself and you too can get the pri :D :D :D ze

,,,Forgot to mention....your guess must be registered before 9PM tonight.... 1 guess per member

Edited by Gonzo the Face

.....and yours ?????

over to you////

First one on record will win a free chicken fried steak dinner..... excluding drinks....

....and Uptheos if you win all you have to do is come in and ID yourself and you too can get the pri :D :D :D ze

,,,Forgot to mention....your guess must be registered before 9PM tonight.... i guess per member

I think the 9am reading tomorrow morning will go below 3m.