Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

anyone remembers / knows what the level was in 2005? still a foot or two to go? would be useful for comparison. from the figures it looks like sandbags will be needed soon around here. thanks

4.9 meters+

Nice to have a hydro-historian among us Tywais! <_< The folks up here in the Mae Ngat Dam area are saying it won't amount to the 2005 floods in the Ping Valley here. Highest levels since then but just not the same period of rain.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3pm, 4.63m. So, if the map is correct, that'll be all of Nong Hoi, the areas south of Mahidol Road, Night Market, the lot, under water.

I guess for now the sand bags are doing their job....

As well as 4.63M at 704 the flow rate is also well above the maps 673 for flooding area 7..... :ermm:

^^ I think it's just as well the dregs of typhoon what's her face hasn't made it over yet.

Mebby so, but it's begun to rain again 3 kms.S, of Maejo. Just 10 minutes or so ago, but v. heavily.

Edited by CMX

Is the area in/around the moat likely to be seriously flooded? (Wasn't bad last year at all!)

Don't think it does. Don't recall seeing it flooded during the 2005 floods, for instance, when Chang Khlan (Night Bazaar) was.

Hey, I hate to ask but I have been scrolling through pages ....

Is the area in/around the moat likely to be seriously flooded? (Wasn't bad last year at all!)

According to the map posted earlier in this thread, and current/predicted levels should be O.K.(famous last words...) most at risk would be SE corner according to the map.

Hey, I hate to ask but I have been scrolling through pages ....

According to the map posted earlier in this thread, and current/predicted levels should be O.K.(famous last words...) most at risk would be SE corner according to the map.

Thanks --- still gonna make the 7-11 run! Need food/water/smokes!

Update on Varee: Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Picked up kid at 3:45, was home by 4pm and I live way out of town. I did avoid Nong Hoy / Aom Muang intersection and crossing the bridge at Aom Muang / Pa Daed where I expected some traffic jams.

Tonight: DRINK downtown! ;)

Does anyone else agree that the Thaivisa posts, especially those in the News forum posted by Bangkok based admins are overly alarmist/sensationalist? If you write 'Chiang Mai Flooded' then I cannot really blame anyone for understanding that to mean that the whole town is inundated? Then for MONTHS to come there will be tourists asking 'is it still flooded?' when even the roads near the river that are wet now will be bone dry in three days from now..

overly alarmist?! No, mostly people have been posting fact, nothing alarmist about that.

someone asked for some pics earlier so heres some taken between the iron bridge and warrarat market between 130 to 2 30 ish

the river level was about 6 inches above the pavement where the people are standing in warrarat market at that time ... now ???

dave2

post-42592-0-61330800-1317205128_thumb.j

post-42592-0-48918400-1317205143_thumb.j

post-42592-0-79582600-1317205158_thumb.j

post-42592-0-27609900-1317205185_thumb.j

post-42592-0-18019900-1317205202_thumb.j

post-42592-0-36250000-1317205224_thumb.j

post-42592-0-97639300-1317205260_thumb.j

post-42592-0-91331400-1317205316_thumb.j

One more from Chang Klan road.. It's getting to the level that you don't really want to drive through it anymore.

post-64232-0-81290200-1317205436_thumb.j

So I'm going to hurry up to get downtown now. With any luck I will be stuck there, meaning a great excuse to not come home tonight. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Update on Varee: Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Picked up kid at 3:45, was home by 4pm and I live way out of town. I did avoid Nong Hoy / Aom Muang intersection and crossing the bridge at Aom Muang / Pa Daed where I expected some traffic jams.

Tonight: DRINK downtown! ;)

Just don't forget the rubber things. Boots that is :D

BTW. It's red alert here in Padet.

You know, I truly don't mean to be gloomy here, but I am a bit worried about the next tropical storm that will be on coming ashore in Vietnam on Saturday (Typhoon Nesat). This storm is much larger and more powerful than the remnants of the current one, and it looks to me like Northern Thailand could get hit again with Nesat's remnants around Monday or so.

Satellite photo of SE Asia and Nesat:

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/Bangkok+Thailand+THXX0002

Nesat track:

http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp2011.gif

And then look at this, yet another one (Nalgae) tracking behind Nesat:

http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp2211.gif