Thaksin Says His Wife Is His Reality Check

george

Thaksin says his wife is his reality check

BANGKOK: Responding to charges that he is obsessed with power, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra used a year-end speech to try to assure the public that there remains at least one force constraining him - his wife Pojaman.

"The person who reminds me [to keep my feet on the ground] all the time is my wife. And no matter how important I have become, I always listen to her," Thaksin said.

"My wife is not easily swayed by temptations. So there should be no worry. The public has my wife to serve as a reminder for me," he added.

Thaksin was speaking to Government House reporters during a year-end lunch on Wednesday.

He also defended himself against criticism that he is authoritarian.

"What kind of leader do you actually want? When a leader is indecisive, you say he's too slow. When he makes prompt and clear decisions, you call him authoritarian," Thaksin said.

"Our democracy has come this far and you still fear a dictatorship; it's such a contempt to the Constitution," he said.

When asked if he drew a line between his office and his family business, the premier said he viewed the country as a large ship carrying all the citizens and businesses in it.

"It's fine if everybody in the ship can reach the shore safely. And they include me and my family's company," he said.

The family of Thaksin, a billionaire-turned-politician, owns the telecom giant Shin Corp.

Thaksin described himself as "straightforward", saying that he did not "want to waste my brain" dishing out lies that he would not remember later.

"I'm ready to quit when my work is done. I'm not attached to anything [worldly] because it's all illusion," he said, citing a Buddhist precept to reject materialism.

At the same time he lashed out at opposition politicians, saying they find fault in everything he does. "For them, if I eat only one dish of rice, it is wrong. When I breathe too hard, they say I rob people of the air."

Thaksin's brash and aggressive style has caught the imagination of many voters long used to the humble and conservative politicians such as former premier Chuan Leekpai.

"If I let them [opposition] keep talking, people will start believing them. So I need to snap back. It seems the media like a quiet prime minister, but I don't want to be reticent," he said.

With regard to unity within his coalition government, Thaksin said his Thai Rak Thai Party still has a good relationship with the Chat Thai Party, the only other coalition partner.

He said it was not the TRT's target to become a single-party government, and he dismissed an allegation that his party was luring incumbent MPs from other parties with offers of money and coveted positions.

"By no means will I hunt for people from other parties. We already have a headache in our party. There are too many candidates for some constituencies," Thaksin said.

--The Nation, Associated Press 2004-01-03

Update:

PM urged to heed critics other than wife

The Campaign for Popular Democracy yesterday lashed out at Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's comment that his wife is the only critic he listens to.

CPD secretary-general Suriyasai Takasila said Mr Thaksin should not mix his family's business with the country's administration.

``The premier should understand that the nation is not his company and Thais are not his employees. Checks and balances are required by the constitution and he must adhere to these rules. He has to listen to all parties, not just his wife.''

Mr Suriyasai said Mr Thaksin's comments showed he was incapable of separating national interests from those of his family's.

--Bangkok Post 2004-01-04

The Campaign for Popular Democracy yesterday lashed out at Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's comment that his wife is the only critic he listens to.

CPD secretary-general Suriyasai Takasila said Mr Thaksin should not mix his family's business with the country's administration.

``The premier should understand that the nation is not his company and Thais are not his employees. Checks and balances are required by the constitution and he must adhere to these rules. He has to listen to all parties, not just his wife.''

Mr Suriyasai said Mr Thaksin's comments showed he was incapable of separating national interests from those of his family's.

--Bangkok Post 2004-01-04

WELL SAID SIR!

Guest ka1234

Good that he said his wife. If he had said his mother, then people may suspect him of "borrowing" the quote from a true leader.

This quote has been left blank on purpose

These questions and conclusions would be ringing in my headIf anybody were to say what this man had said said.

1. I guess the family policy is no money no honey uh, listen to me honey, you better give me the money or else....?

2. Wonder what she says when he is too prompt?

3. Ever wondered how he became so rich in such short time ?

4. As a devout Buddhist would he ever give up all his riches today and donate it to charity?

5. It is not the amount of air a man breathes in that we are worried about, it is quality of the air that he breathes out and where he breathes out that is worrying.

6.It is hard to be humble when you are perfect like him him in every way :o

7.So this man believes in the law of diminishing returns.

8.So would this man quit his wife when his work of having children by her is done.