BANGKOK 21 April 2019 01:51
Sign in to follow this  
thaicruze

I Bought A Chevy Cruze

Hello all. This is my first post on here.

I was on the market for a new car and I test drove a few. So, I figured I would write this in case someone was wondering. I am starting to see more chevy Cruze on the road. The car has just surpassed Toyota in the USA as the best selling car, so I wanted to check it out. I bought a little cheap honda 6 years ago (new) and I was ready to upgrade.

• First, I went to see the Civic. What a cheap feeling, LOUD riding car. I was very disappointed. I couldn't believe this car was 900,000 baht. I moved on.
  • I checked out the Altis. It's not bad, but you can't help but feel you are inside a Taxi. NEXT!
  • Saw the Ford Focus. Englishmen love this car, so I went to check it out. It was OK. The seats dig into my back a little. I drive a lot so, that would be uncomfortable for me. Not a bad car though. The best I saw until.....!
  • I test drove the Cruze. Luxurious inside. Bluetooth. USB port. LCD screen with controls on the steering wheel. It has it all. And it was a great looking car too. As for the ride, it feels like a Cadillac CTS. It rides very very smooth but the most impressive part is how quiet it is inside the cabin. It gets 36mpg on the highway. Runs on E10, 15,000 KM service schedule. Awesome. I fell in love with it. Tilt and telescopic steering wheel. The pictures on the website are how all 3 models look. The 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 diesel. All the same car, but with added things like rain sensors, auto light sensor, cruise control, 17" wheels. But they are all the same. The seats are the most comfortable I tried. The only car I tried that came close to the Cruze was the Camry Hybrid, but that one was almost 2 million.

My Cruze will be all black leather inside. Awesome car inside and out. Total was 875,000.

The 1.6L has a different engine. This one is the cheapest one. Mine is the 1.8 LS ecotec engine.

Edited by thaicruze

Sounds very nice, congratulations!

I agree it looks great.. Chevrolet's first serious offering for me.

Another good Chevy-trait is that when it comes to their mid-life minor-change, they typically try to make it look worse. (See: Colorado, Optra) So you will have a good looking car longer. :lol:

Thanks for the informative report...and yes, I have had my eye on this car as well and it has received great reviews in both the US and Thai press and internet. I would like something SUVish so am leaning toward the new Captiva but it is just great to see that after decades of decline and near death experiences, the US auto industry (and Ford too with its Fiesta/Focus series and F150s in the USis producing competitive cars in both style, drive-trains, and fit and finish to many Japanese and Euro manufacturers.

In the US, I was a confirmed Honda/Mitsubishi driver but it looks like my next car in Thailand will be from GM...I never would have thought it!

I always thought my next car would be a Honda, but I test drove the Cruze first. Then, I went out and test drove the rest and was very disappointed, especially with Honda. The Civic is Pure CRAP.

The other thing is that you can't feel the bumps on the road. It's very Buickish in that regard. I test drove it on the same road I drive every day with my Honda and it felt I was driving on a different road.

It has one power outlet in the front, USB+AUX inside the center console and another power outlet in the back. Arm rests and cup holders for the back passengers.

Also, and this is never mentioned in any reviews, for you really tall guys, the seats in the Cruze go back almost ALL the way to the back! I've never been in a car seat that went back that much. So, even though it is technically a "small car" it feels much bigger. Definitely worth a look if you're looking to get a new car.

I saw a Cruze Taxi on the road the other day, I took a picture of it but I can't post pictures yet.

The one car in Thailand right now that comes close to the Cruze is the Hyundai Sonata Sport (but I haven't test driven this one. Anyway, I can't remember the last time I saw a Hyundai dealer around). But, it's 1.8 million and for that I'd rather get the Camry Hybrid. The Leather in the Sonata and the Camry Hybrid is really nice perforated soft leather. The Cruze leather is more of a sports car leather.

Since my Cruze is the LS and it comes with Cloth, I had to special order the leather, so even though my car is at the dealer it is still being worked on.

The other important thing is that, unfortunately, not all Chevrolet Dealers in Thailand are created equal. So, do your homework and find out which dealers around your area have a good service/sales reputation. Ask your wife, gf or a thai person to search in Thai in Google. The Chevrolet Clubs in Thailand have posts about which dealers are the best.

In my case, Chevrolet Bang Bua Thong is the best. I've heard bad things about Ramintra and I went to Rattanathibet and the sales people are scum. Avoid.

Then again, one of my wife's co-workers bought a Mazda 3. The Mazda people convinced her to pay and take the car early, then after she paid and took it they didn't give her what they promised her (the free stuff she was supposed to get like skirts and spoiler). Another one didn't get her "red tag deposit" from a Chevy dealer somewhere.

This is crucial. Find out about the dealer first. I've had great service with my Honda dealer, but I've heard of other people that have had terrible experiences with their local Honda dealer.

Edited by thaicruze

Congrats on the new car, and welcome! :D

Agree on the Honda Civics' noise levels - the bad news is that even when spending almost double the money on a top-badged Accord, the noise is still unbearable, and the ride quality is bested by some 400K Baht eco cars.

The Focus is more a of "drivers car" - if you're the type who like to throw a car about in the turns, it appeal most in this segment. It is however a generation behind most offerings now (new model comes in 5 months), and that does show when it comes to fit/feel and NVH.

The Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.8L is an interesting option given its E85 compatability, styling is sharp, handling is good, but the ride quality and NVH while better than the Civic and Focus, are not up to the Cruze's standard.

The Mazda3 is either too old (< 2.0L old shape), or just an old car in an expensive new skin (2.0L).

So yes, have to agree with your choice!

The Cruze just feels like a much more substantial car, the interior is refreshingly well designed (for the segment), it manages to look sharp and non-offensive at the same time, and it drives more like a luxury D-segment than a C-sgement. Fuel effeciency is good but not stellar, as is performance - such a shame we don't get the turbo 1.6L engine option in TH!

when is the Cruze coming with the new 2.2 Diesel.

Latest updates still say the new 2.2L diesel is scheduled to appear in the Colorado, Cruze and Captiva in November. There's some conflicting rumors floating around that say the Cruze and Captiva will only get an updated 2.0L diesel at that time - which based on Thai excise tax rates make sense (2.2L would attract 5% more tax), but my sources still say 2.2L (which makes sense from a product rationalization/economy of scale POV).

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I wanted a diesel, but I wanted to keep the payments as low as possible. 875,000 baht was perfect for me. It has everything I want. The fuel economy is good enough.

So, I am getting 300,000 for my Honda. Paying 200,000 cash. So 500,000 down, this way I can take a loan for 48 months. Payments at 8,700 baht. Perfect for me. seemed to be the right car at the right time for the right price.

I am seeing more and more every day. I saw 3 on my way home. 1 silver. 1 white and another one with the Bumblebee theme. Yes. You can order them with the Bumblebee paint job and a transformers badge, but who wants that. I've seen only 1 on the road today. Thais prefer the LT and LTZ. The LT starts at 936,000.

I'm getting ESP, the traction control and all the other stuff for 875,000. Good enough for me. And, really, who is going to use Cruise Control in Thailand. Ridiculous.

Congratulations looked around one in my village today nice looking motor good looks for my taste and a cool inside.

They are nice looking cars. My favourite colour is the dark red, I like Chevvys.

Very pleased with our Captiva, and will replace it with the new diesel one when it arrives :)

It's still a lot of money for a bread and butter compact.

It's still a lot of money for a bread and butter compact.

Sure is a lot of Money,but its really silly to convert the price back to USD or GBP.You wouldn't buy anything apart from a Mango for Value.Cruze is right about the Civics noise, but not the Accord.Ive been looking, but for a runabout i still keep getting back to the City. Value, Size, and Performance wise City is an appropriate name. Cruze interior fittings and silence are a benchmark,but I've heard the Auto Box has a mind of its own. Another silly thing for me anyway,is i cant forget the Daewoo Crap they Released here with. a Chevy Badge stuck on it. Id like to say Captain Cruzes post is one of the most informative for a good while.Ill go for a second look because of him.:jap: .

Are the Chevy's as reliable as the Toyota's and Honda's?

One guy in my village had a new C. Aveo and did he had problems with it, it was parked more at the dealer than his house :D . In the end he got so fed up with it that he sold it and bought a T. Viros instead.

Fuel economy in a cruze post make me laugh.. im filling non stop hehe

E10 is not supported as far as what my dealer and my driver's book says just 91..

Cruze is right about the Civics noise, but not the Accord.

The road noise in the Honda Accord isn't bad at all - so long as you're partially or fully deaf, or come from a large Italian family and are accustomed to having normal conversations at 110dB, or it's the only car you've ever driven and you think that it must actually get worse as you spend less :P