I Bought A Chevy Cruze

But again, you don't have to take my word for it, go and check it out for yourself. No need to speculate what people will do in the future. It was not so long ago that GM was on the brink of going away, they now have the best selling small sedan in the USA. The next Civic is absolute crap. I can't see anybody buying that except for Thais.

This is true, the 2012 Civic was trashed in the most recent Consumer's Report issue and was taken off the magazine's Recomended List of cars for the first time in like forever. Here is the link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/02/BUOV1KI13E.DTL&type=autos

Also, GM just reported that in their most recent quarter, profit doubled and that they are getting premium pricing for many of their models now in the North American market, where they have had the most quality and reputation problems over the recent past...so they must be doing somethings right.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda-Civic-2012-Picture-2.jpg

goes well with tesco fashion clothes and a pair of crocs..

seriously it was honda and toyota's market to lose.. and they will lose very soon as they are losing in USA/OZ and soon everywhere. Most brands are becoming nicer to look at and toyota/honda is getting worse by the year

Edited by seriouseats

I wouldn't bother testing the new Civic. It's a disaster. It looks like a 1991 car inside. It's a bad car. Not as bad as a Prowler, but bad.

Cars are subjective things though. When we talk about the new 2012 Focus, 2011 Cruze, and to an extent I guess the 2011 Mazda 3 and the 2011 Lancer EX, we're talking about good cars. But since we are all different, some may like ones more than others.

My idea was to let you know I tested it and Chevrolet really hit it out of the park with this one. Cruze is becoming a hit everywhere it goes. I don't think it's just because it is new, but people just love the car.

They had it at the HomeWorks next to my house and after we had dinner we walked there to check it out (same one I ordered), and this car just feels rock solid. The doors are heavy. Actually, the Cruze is the heavier car, but it's super strong. 5 star safety rating in the US and Europe.

Hang on Chaps whats all this Badass rubbish, it got Hello Kitty, or ive Married a Ferang written all over it..Looks just like all the other Asian Jellymoulds. Up here you dont see many .Brio is the rage, then Fiesta.Rixalex is spot on ,Phukets just Blackpool, nothing much in common with everyday Thai world.They will still buy theier Civics, and Nissans .Dont foreget the Thais were had over badly by Korea Brands a few years back,, they still remember.

The Cruze is the most important car in GM's recent history. If they screwed this one up, I don't know what would've happened to them. I don't think a big gas guzzler would've save them. They already have a Camaro and a Corvette to do that, and those are not flying out the door. People want small but spacious and great on gas.

Honda-Civic-2012-Picture-2.jpg

goes well with tesco fashion clothes and a pair of crocs..

seriously it was honda and toyota's market to lose.. and they will lose very soon as they are losing in USA/OZ and soon everywhere. Most brands are becoming nicer to look at and toyota/honda is getting worse by the year

Well, i would agree that that new version is not a step forward in the design department. One of the most distinguishing features of the old one, the rear light cluster, has gone. Shame.

As for the markets of the US and OZ, they really have no bearing on what sells here.

And as for Toyota and Honda getting worse by the year, were you in Thailand throughout the nineties?

Chevy Citation, the worst car ive ever driven.First Yank car i had was an Impala Rag Top,loved it.. I go with endure,Chevy means Muscle, real Trucks with Engines.not farty D Maxes. Im not knocking a Cruze but lets keep things in perspective, Australia has the Morano, and its Falcon from Ford both fairly priced. What have we got here?, Shopping Carts, and basically were splitting hairs over them..:jap:

Chevy Citation, the worst car ive ever driven.First Yank car i had was an Impala Rag Top,loved it.. I go with endure,Chevy means Muscle, real Trucks with Engines.not farty D Maxes. Im not knocking a Cruze but lets keep things in perspective, Australia has the Morano, and its Falcon from Ford both fairly priced. What have we got here?, Shopping Carts, and basically were splitting hairs over them..:jap:

I couldnt agree more, we dont even have affordable and exciting shopping carts like the Focus RS, Golf R, Golf GTi, Megane RS250 the list goes on. I would walk over hot coals to have any one of those cars for the same price as a Cruze in Thailand :lol:.

My brother in law just bought a GTI in FL. Not nearly as nice and spacious as a Cruze (inside). I don't care for that "fast and furious" wannabe thing.

If they sold Buicks here, I'd go for the new 2011 Regal or LaCrosse. Cruze is close enough.

Update*

I just spoke to the sales person. My car now has the tints done and the seats have been taken out and are now working on the leather. Should get it by next Wednesday, but unfortunately I'm in Thailand, so I'll have to pick it up sometime Friday (you know. The whole "it's Thailand, so everyone has to go pick up the car/mothers day BS)

Can't wait.

Edited by thaicruze

My brother in law just bought a GTI in FL. Not nearly as nice and spacious as a Cruze (inside). I don't care for that "fast and furious" wannabe thing.

If they sold Buicks here, I'd go for the new 2011 Regal or LaCrosse. Cruze is close enough.

Update*

I just spoke to the sales person. My car now has the tints done and the seats have been taken out and are now working on the leather. Should get it by next Wednesday, but unfortunately I'm in Thailand, so I'll have to pick it up sometime Friday (you know. The whole "it's Thailand, so everyone has to go pick up the car/mothers day BS)

Can't wait.

I'd get a Toyota Supra for my wannabe fast and furious side :D

I just like a fast zippy car and coming from my Commodore V8 back in Australia it'd have to be quick :lol:

I was thinking of getting a cheap 2004 Ford Focus and getting the 2010 Ford Focus RS running gear and doing a transplant would be awesome B)

Lets hope its not another Citation. Google and read.read the Wikki History it amazing such a Fine Company could Cock Up like that. Torque Steer wasnt a new problem. It was fun, if you gunned it the Whole power train shook like an earthquake. In Floridat hey had T Shirts that read. I Survived Hurricane David.but not a lift in a Citation.

The Cruze has been out for a while in Europe. It's just been released in the USA. It has sold hundreds of thousands of units. It's the best selling car in the USA at the moment.

I test drove it and gunned it.

No it doesn't shake. It's not a Citation. Its been reviewed and tested by many. It's a fine car. It's not something that just came out and nobody has.

Actually, the Chevy Cruze has sold nearly 1 million units worldwide. Last time I checked it was at 800,000+.

Currently GM is the world's #1 automaker.

Chevrolet sold more than 330,000 Cruzes worldwide during the first half of 2011, a 132-percent increase over the same time period a year ago. Much of that growth came in China and the United States, where Cruze was the best-selling passenger car in the country in June. In Canada, Cruze sales are up 65 percent compared to the model it replaced. Since introduction in early 2009, Cruze has sold more than 800,000 units worldwide, and is on track to exceed 1 million before the end of 2012.
Edited by thaicruze

The Cruze has been out for a while in Europe. It's just been released in the USA. It has sold hundreds of thousands of units. It's the best selling car in the USA at the moment.

No it doesn't shake. It's not a Citation. Its been reviewed and tested by many. It's a fine car. It's not something that just came out and nobody has.

Actually, the Chevy Cruze has sold nearly 1 million units worldwide. Last time I checked it was at 800,000+.

Chevrolet sold more than 330,000 Cruzes worldwide during the first half of 2011, a 132-percent increase over the same time period a year ago. Much of that growth came in China and the United States, where Cruze was the best-selling passenger car in the country in June. In Canada, Cruze sales are up 65 percent compared to the model it replaced. Since introduction in early 2009, Cruze has sold more than 800,000 units worldwide, and is on track to exceed 1 million before the end of 2012.

Have you ever considered a job as a salesman for Chevy?

Have you ever considered a job as a salesman for Chevy?

I was thinking the same thing :D

On a more serious note whatever car your have its good to be passionate about even if others think its a shopping cart, as long as you love it thats what matters. I like people that are passionate about their cars otherwise you just have another Camry driving down the road doing 30km/h below the speed limit :lol:

Lets hope its not another Citation. Google and read.read the Wikki History it amazing such a Fine Company could Cock Up like that. Torque Steer wasnt a new problem. It was fun, if you gunned it the Whole power train shook like an earthquake. In Floridat hey had T Shirts that read. I Survived Hurricane David.but not a lift in a Citation.

Citation was Chevys attempt to compete with imports, and it was basicly a copy of Saab 900. It survived until Saab came out with 9000 in 1985 or so. Must have been worst shit Chevy did in the 80s. Citation probably made GM realize they where unable to develope this size of cars, so they started to buy small-car manufactorers.

Cruze is a nice Daewo, and in TH today one of the best in its segment

People who think the Cruze is a shopping cart, have never driven it or been inside one.

Hopefully, they are not the same guys opening threads about the Fiesta. The ugliest most uncomfortable car I tried.

And yes. The Chevy Cruze was designed by GM Daewoo and Opal. No need to say this in every single post. It's a Korean car. We get it. And GM Daewoo is no more. GM renamed it to simply, GM Korea.

You guys need to get over this. Seriously. What is a Chevy Colorado? It's an Isuzu. It's basically a renamed Isuzu DMax and it is a Thai Pickup Truck. People in the US think they are buying an American pick up when they are buying an Isuzu Thai made pickup truck. Doesn't take anything away from it. It's a Chevy Colorado. Maybe a Daewoo Lacetti in Korea, but here and in the US is a Chevy Cruze. Who gives a crap?

It is manufactured in Australia, Russia, Brazil, US, Korea, China, Inida, and lucky for us, Rayong, Thailand. no 500% tax increase.

Not trying to be a salesman, just responding to people saying they don't know what's going to happen with this brand new car and it may end up forgotten.

Just saying the Cruze has been tested and proven. It's been out for almost 4 years already. It has gotten a perfect safety 5 star score in every country. People love it. Where's the doubt? The car didn't just happen out of nowhere.

Thais buy Toyota or Honda. Englishmen buy Ford Hatchbacks. What else is new? If you're an Englishman on the market for a new car, this is definitely worth a look at least. And take it out for a drive. I know it doesn't say ford and it's not a hatchback. Look. Get a magazine where they have an ad for a Ford. Cut out the Ford logo. Bring it with you. Put some scotch tale on the back and stick it on the steering wheel on top of the chevy logo.

Sorted.

Also, the "boot" as you say, is HUGE and the back seats fold all the way forward in case you need to put something big back there.

Edited by thaicruze

Don't go over the top Tom Cruze or your Street Creds gone.Ive given one a good blast from Chav Supanbury. Its got a lot going for it, but to start decrying all other brands isnt going anywhere.Thais love their Toyo n Honda. Hope you don't become one of the I wish i never changed my City Crowd i so often meet.The Sales Chap was honest, he recons il get 9-10 kpl, or less with my driving, that impressed me more than anything.Honesty. That Wiper thing drove me daft,and the rides sloppy on bends.,but good value all round, like i said before one year from now will tell. A bad Service Dept can ruin or make a Brand.I will still go City for a Town Ride.Saw a City in a Pre Delivery Workshop all blinged up with Twin Exhausts, Big Chrome Wheels,Skirts n Dams,What i did like was they were fitting Lumina Film that allowed you to see in.:jap: .

Honda City?

Hahaha

That's what I drive now. It's absolute crap compared to the Cruze.

Honda makes cheap overpriced cars. You can compare the Cruze to a focus. But not to a city.

And the sloppy on bends, I guess you mean when you turn? I disagree. There are plenty of independent Cruze track testing videos that goes in complete contradiction with that. It didn't feel sloppy at all when I drove it. It's not a "sports car", so it won't feel sporty. The 2012 focus will feel a lot sportier on bends.

When will you get the Ford Hatchback though?

Edited by thaicruze

well, i don't mean any disrespect here, but in my humble opinion, chevy has an uphill climb here, its a fine car, but it's an EXPENSIVE honda civic, at best, if it is even as good as a honda civic...

Chevy's don't have a good rep here in the philippines, and i don't get who tags on their price points, way too expensive for what they are,

that's why you only see one or 2 of them around..

People who think the Cruze is a shopping cart, have never driven it or been inside one.

Hopefully, they are not the same guys opening threads about the Fiesta. The ugliest most uncomfortable car I tried.

And yes. The Chevy Cruze was designed by GM Daewoo and Opal. No need to say this in every single post. It's a Korean car. We get it. And GM Daewoo is no more. GM renamed it to simply, GM Korea.

You guys need to get over this. Seriously. What is a Chevy Colorado? It's an Isuzu. It's basically a renamed Isuzu DMax and it is a Thai Pickup Truck. People in the US think they are buying an American pick up when they are buying an Isuzu Thai made pickup truck. Doesn't take anything away from it. It's a Chevy Colorado. Maybe a Daewoo Lacetti in Korea, but here and in the US is a Chevy Cruze. Who gives a crap?

It is manufactured in Australia, Russia, Brazil, US, Korea, China, Inida, and lucky for us, Rayong, Thailand. no 500% tax increase.

Not trying to be a salesman, just responding to people saying they don't know what's going to happen with this brand new car and it may end up forgotten.

Just saying the Cruze has been tested and proven. It's been out for almost 4 years already. It has gotten a perfect safety 5 star score in every country. People love it. Where's the doubt? The car didn't just happen out of nowhere.

Thais buy Toyota or Honda. Englishmen buy Ford Hatchbacks. What else is new? If you're an Englishman on the market for a new car, this is definitely worth a look at least. And take it out for a drive. I know it doesn't say ford and it's not a hatchback. Look. Get a magazine where they have an ad for a Ford. Cut out the Ford logo. Bring it with you. Put some scotch tale on the back and stick it on the steering wheel on top of the chevy logo.

Sorted.

Also, the "boot" as you say, is HUGE and the back seats fold all the way forward in case you need to put something big back there.

You seem to be getting awfully defensive about the car but besides a few criticisms, which can be levelled at any car, i don't think anyone is particularly attacking the product. You say it is excellent. I believe you. I don't think it looks that attractive, or all that different from the competition, and to sit in, which i confess is the most i have done, it felt to me a bit hemmed in. But, all that aside, if it's as good a drive as you say it is, it deserves to do well, and i'm sure it will on other countries. Here, i have my doubts. Many a good product has fallen on deaf ears in this neck of the woods, simply because of badge, and i see no reason why this car is going to be any different really. At the end of the day though, if you love it and are happy with the purchase, why care about that? It's good to be different from the sheep.

well, i don't mean any disrespect here, but in my humble opinion, chevy has an uphill climb here, its a fine car, but it's an EXPENSIVE honda civic, at best, if it is even as good as a honda civic...

Chevy's don't have a good rep here in the philippines, and i don't get who tags on their price points, way too expensive for what they are,

that's why you only see one or 2 of them around..

This was the point i was making earlier. My feeling is Chevy have to price their cars really aggressively to overcome the badge, and until they do, they will remain exactly where they are in the market. Sometimes a good product is not enough.

I think Ford recognise this by the way they priced the Fiesta. The Focus however needs to come down.